[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Typhoon Haiyan

Typhoon Haiyan

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Typhoon Haiyan

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 pm

. Please cycle through the pictures (as much as you can stand).

Global warming made this worse due to the increased ocean temperature which is known to intensify cyclones (called typhoons in Far East, hurricanes in Atlantic).

So says and and and and many more I could list. They say a sea surface temperature (SST) of 26C is one requirement for a cyclone to form and the higher and deeper those temperatures grow the more intense a cyclone becomes. Even says the increased ocean temperature (~ 0.9C since 1910) it has had a small effect of 1 or 2% on windspeeds (even that matters!).

Here you can see how close to 26C (or over 26C) the equatorial regions are.

and here you can sea that the SST has generally gone up globally (NOAA Data) F YH

Global Warming has made matters worse in the Philippines. The cost of cleanup (let alone human toll of at least 3621 dead) far exceeds the costs of ghg capture and/or emission control worldwide.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Typhoon Haiyan

Postby William Thornton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 pm

...and there is no emission control in sight that would stop the Chinese or Indian economies form moving forward which leaves the US taxpayer, if the alarmists get to govern, taking money from Joe Sixpack and other working stiffs to send to third world economies for remediation. GW is an industry unto itself whose goal is to squeeze money out of western economies.

If there was genuine concern for typhoon victims it might better be expressed by a topic that included SBC, CVF, NGO and governmental efforts.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 am

William wants only to look at the short-term relief fix. Keith wants only to look at the longer term issues. Isn't it Christian to do both?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 am

There are obvious things we all can do to contribute to lessening our carbon footprints:

1. Organizing our driving to reduce fuel usage.
2. Driving more economical vehicles (highway mileage at least above 25).
3. Use of public transit (where available).
4. Walking through shopping centers rather than moving our cars every time we change stores (I see that frequently and not in HD spaces).
5. Insulating houses, hot water heaters, and pipes.
6. Checking to see that heating/cooling systems are working at the most efficient levels.
7. Install separate heating/cooling for seldom used rooms.
8. Caulk exterior windows regularly.
9. Install alternate energy sources.
10. Install light controls that turn off lights in unoccupied rooms after a period of time and turn them back on when the room is occupied (bathrooms).
11. Unplug wall warts (power cubes) when not in use.
12. Use CFL and LED lighting where feasible.
13. Turn off computer monitors for print servers and other seldom used pieces of your home network.
14. Use cool water or only warm in laundry.
15. Install controlled-flow shower heads.

Those are starters, some of which we are working on at present. I would welcome additions to the list.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:19 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:57 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:17 am

David, no one did golden spurs like you did. There is no reason for you not to come roaring out of GS retirement.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I agree with William, David. I'm just not doing much of anything with golden spurs, in part because I often see posts when they are quite old, and timeliness is important to giving them. I also have limited time on BL to respond.

Feel free to re-assume the honors if you like. Or, if another moderator would like to handle this, I'm fine with passing that privilege along to a willing volunteer.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:41 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 am

. . . .