[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Memories of the Kennedy Assassination

Memories of the Kennedy Assassination

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Memories of the Kennedy Assassination

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Where were you that day and what do you remember.

The Local Electrical Co Op monthly magazine had several testimonies in their latest edition and several of them were fascinating.

Why shouldn't Bl.com have its on catharsis.

Upon third entry here I will share my memory of Mrs. Goforth's 5th grade class at Central Elementary in Gaffney, S.C.

http://alabamaliving.coop/article/reade ... v-22-1963/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Memories of the Kennedy Assassination

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I was a senior in high school sitting in Mrs. Hillman's 6th period Solid Geometry and Trigonometry class when the announcement was made by the principal in a grave and broken voice over the school intercom. As soon as the announcement was completed, Mrs. Hillman said, "God help us; Johnson's President."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Typing class...9th grade. Went home and picked up pecans.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 am

Fourth grade- in a suburb of Seattle. Some kid in the lunch room said the president had been shot and we told him that was nothing to joke about and talked about other things. Went out on the playground and saw the sixth graders were gathered around the kids that had transistor radios in quiet groups out on the ball field. The bell rang and we went into class and Mrs. D. came in, blotting her eyes. She had been in the faculty room watching the news reports. She sat at her desk and quietly explained that "Our President has just died in a hospital in Dallas Texas. The Vice President is being sworn in as President. His name is Lyndon Johnson". Some girl thought she said "Linda" and got all excited thinking we would have a "Lady President". Mrs. D. said "No, Carla, his name is LYNDON and wrote the name on the board. My last name was "Johnson", so someone asked if I was related to him. I said "Not that I know of". Mrs. D. tried to get us back to the usual afternoon routine, but our hearts weren't in it. I don't remember much of the rest of the day, except that we had dinner on TV trays in the living room watching the special evening news reports on TV. That was the first time I had sat in Daddy's lap in a long time as he tried to answer my questions during the commercial breaks. :(
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:07 am

I don't remember a whole lot about it. I was five. We were in the car, and the news came on the radio. My Dad pulled over and stopped. I remember watching the funeral on television, and that's about it.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 am

I don't have nearly as detailed a recollection as the Mrs. has. I remember we were sent home early after an announcement that the president had been shot (killed? don't recall), and when I got home my mom and the next door neighbor lady were crying because President Kennedy was dead. I don't recall being told who was now president, but I am sure I knew the name of the current VP and enough about government to know that barring some weird intervention (like maybe him being killed, too) the vice president would become president. Somehow I was thinking it was earlier than fourth grade. But it had to be fourth grade, because it was Nov. '63... I wrote a play about it and the next time we went to Spokane I declaimed it to my grandma and she told my dad he should wash my mouth out with soapy water because it had the word "****" in it.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:40 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Ed: Gee, you all are making me feel with your talk of being grade school and high school. I had been in the army, finished college, was married, had 2 kids and was in Seminary at SBTS the first time around. I had 2 P/T jobs one of which was driving a school bus, I had just pulled into a service station to get gas in bus the before my afternoon run and had started pumping gas when the attendant inside the station "Oh My God NO ". I thought he had just found the cash drawer empty or some such personal tragedy. I set the Pump on automatic fill. You could do that in those days, in KY.. As I started for the station the attendant came out spouting expletives and repeating about three times they shot the president then he said it is in the radio. He took the School board, GAS for bus ONLY credit card, and retreated to the building. I am not sure how long he took but I needed to get to the school so I went in and he was leaning over the radio listening and paid no attention to me. when I asked for the card and a receipt he mumbled and went to the cash-register and then handed me the receipt with a trembling hand and card saying he he's dead.

When I arrived at the school there where many more parents there to pick up their children than usual. My bus that had been full in the morning was only about 2/3 full and I was told by the principal to wait till a teacher had checked the kids on the bus against a list of ones who had been picked up. It looked as if some kids had been crying but for the most part they where much more quiet than usual. One little 1st grade girl cried softly all the way to her stop. Others started crying when they saw their parent waiting for them. Two mothers ask me why their child was crying and did not know about the president being shot. both where visibly upset when I told them. Traffic seemed more crazy than ever but I am not sure, maybe my nerves where a bit more frazzled. We did not have a TV and the radio reports where very sketchy. I listened to the same stuff over and over and learned little. Then the call in talk shows came on and that may have been the start of my dislike for gossip and conspiracy theory.
Ed Pettibone

Added memory

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Stephen Fox

AE Emsee of Crossville Alabama

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Told me at the Collinsville Trade Day last week he had just finished HS a year earlier. Said he was workin at AE Emsee Chicken House blood testin chickens behind the Union Grove Baptist Church when he got word Kennedy was shot. Said he remembered it was a "layin flock". By marriage he is kin to Don Gregory, a physics teacher at UAH who sells knives on Saturday. Gregory was in the 4th grade at Aroney.

Stephen Fox

Re: Added memory

Postby David Flick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I was not quite 5 years old on that day. I don't remember anything of the assassination itself, but I do recall being babysat at our next-door neighbor's house the day of the funeral, and watching the funeral procession on her TV set.

David, I know the Plainview area, having grown up in the TX panhandle.
Lou

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Sandy

North Ft Worth VBS

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 pm

would fit well into the Criswell network and sermon series outlined in Davis riveting book Dallas 1963

Stephen Fox

President Carter

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Shared his Memory of the the assassination in Oct 79 in a dedication of the Kennedy Library. Ted was there. It is recounted in Larry Sabato's Magnificent book The Kennedy Half Century. I'm reading the book now and recommend it to all, From Thornton to John Pierce, from Flick to Sandy and Sandy's friends at FBC Spartanburg.

Carter said he got word from a friend on his peanut farm in Plains. Carter got down off his tractor and prayed for the Country. A Few minutes later he wept openly on the concrete steps of his Peanut warehouse, the first time he had wept in ten years, since his father died.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I was in utero. :D I was a month and six days from being born. So, needless to say, my memories of that day are more than a bit fuzzy. :lol:
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Maya Angelou

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Has a srong story with reference to the Death of FDR in the Life Magazine Special Edition to JFK out now from Wal-Mart to your local grocery story.

Stephen Fox

As it happened

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues