[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Republicans - Delusional or Desperate

Republicans - Delusional or Desperate

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Republicans - Delusional or Desperate

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:07 pm

And now I see a Russian parliamentarian has proposed making it illegal for Russians to own dollars. Because of the potential instability. Frankly I think that (no matter how unstable our government and financial structure may be) it would make sense to outlaw owning stocks in American corporations (and international corporations doing at least 25% of their business in the US) first.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Ah, Physicians for a National Health Program. Sounds perfectly fair and balanced to me.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Sandy

Postby Lou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Sandy, what is this "not for profit insurance" of which you speak, and where might it be found?
Lou

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Ed:

Former insurance company executive; author
GET UPDATES FROM Wendell Potter

I've written frequently in recent weeks about the eye-popping profits the big publicly traded health companies have been reporting. Last year -- as the number of Americans without health insurance grew to nearly 51 million -- the five largest for-profit insurers (Aetna, CIGNA, Humana, UnitedHealth and WellPoint) had combined profits of $11.7 billion.

But that was so 2010.

If the profits those companies made during the first three months of this year are an indication of things to come, 2011 will more than likely be the most profitable year ever for these new darlings of Wall Street.

But lest you think only those big New York Stock Exchange-listed corporations have figured out how to make money hand-over-fist while their base of policyholders is shrinking, take a look at the so-called nonprofit Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans.

Don't think for a minute that the Blues are any more interested in your health and well-being than the companies that at least own up to being in business to make a hefty profit off of insuring the healthy and shunning the sick.

According to a report by Carl McDonald of Citi Investment Research and Analysis, last year was the most profitable year in history for the Blues plans, which enjoy significant tax advantages because of their claim to be nonprofit and terrific community citizens. Collectively, the Blues reported more than $5.5 billion in net income in 2010.

Not only that, but the Blues now have more than five times that amount in capital above what state regulators require. As McDonald noted in his report, maintaining such a huge reserve should make regulators think twice before approving rate increases in the future.

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendell-p ... 56207.html

I presently have a Blue Cross supplemental but as of the first of the year will be changing to a plan offered by a local Area Physicians Group Plan. Co-pays on Prescriptions and services are both lower, and we will still have the same doctors. I will still be getting my major arthritis medication and podiatry treatments through the VA. which means three extra Dr. visits per year, but an overall savings of around $1,000.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:55 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

Just call me "Mr. Classic Hypocrisy" if we are into names. I could call Keith "Mr. Moralizer" since his stuff usually hinges not on the latest and greatest graphs but on him imposing his idea of fairness on the rest of us and being willing to use the coercive power of gummit (yes, guns if necessary) to carry that out.

I don't take all this too seriously.

I will say that Keith does an outstanding job with the PP forum - starts a lot of topics, offers a lot of data and links. I commend him for that...just don't buy all of it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

The Blue Cross/Blue Shield comment only works in certain places. In Virginia, for instance, the Blue Cross carrier is Anthem which transitioned to "for profit" status and sold stock in 1995. In turn, they were bought by another company which merged into WellPoint. Needless to say, it's no cheaper. Each Blue Cross state group handles it differently.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm

. . . .