Canada's Single-Payer Universal Health Care

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Canada's Single-Payer Universal Health Care

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am

I saw a doctor in Toronto last week to treat a condition related to my diabetes. I went primarily because this particular doctor had noted expertise in this particular field, not necessarily because I couldn't get the treatment here, or don't have insurance. I have it, and with diabetes, usually meet the deductible in April or May. This doctor was recommended to me by my step-mom, who lives in Buffalo and has been to him for treating the same condition.

I got the appointment within a month of making it (imagine that, and in this country, to get an appointment with someone who specializes in diabetic care and treatment can take up to three months), and was told that they would probably not accept my American insurance. I checked with the insurance company anyway, and my policy has a provision to pay for care internationally, in certain circumstances. I will have to send them the receipt and apply for reimbursement myself, but it will likely go through. If it doesn't, I'm out $57 for the office call, treatment and medication. My doctor here in PA would bill the insurance over $500 for the same procedure, so I am guessing they will be happy to cut me a check.

It would be hard to evaluate, from just this observation, the effectiveness of Canada's single payer system. The doctor's office was in a clinic, connected to two hospitals, with a number of other doctors utilizing the same facility. The waiting room looked like an ER waiting area, enough room for perhaps a hundred people to sit, and it was probably two thirds full. People kept getting called every few minutes. There was a counter for people to register who had just walked in without appointments, so I am guessing that there were some family practice physicians in the group as well. Altogether, I guess I was in and out in about an hour, which included a 20 minute visit from the doctor and the procedure that was done. The one big difference was that when I signed in, I paid. The follow up appointment was scheduled by the nurse before I left the examination room and when it was over, I just walked out.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues