[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Does obamacare work for you?

Does obamacare work for you?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Does obamacare work for you?

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm

I take it that some folks here will try the OC exchanges. How do the costs compare with what you are paying now? And change in coverages, doctors, or other important components?

Just asking for your experience, not approval or disapproval.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Does obamacare work for you?

Postby ET » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm currently following a friend on Facebook as she posts her experience trying to get coverage through the federal exchange. So far she's been frustrated with trying to get in and registered. She finally got an account created after 3 or 4 days of trying. That's as far as she's gotten based on what she's posted.

Not a direct experience, I know, but I am interesting is watching it play out for her. I don't believe she has insurance (or a job) at the moment. Probably living off alimony payments from what I infer from other statements.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Our insurance provider suggested we do the "early renewal" by October 31 "to avoid what could be as much as a 14% increase in rates." The early renewal locks in the rates where they are on October 31, which means that we would receive about a 5% decrease in premiums and a 3% savings on our HRA. Our agent has found a couple of plans that have similar coverages to what we now have, one through United Healthcare, at a similar rate, about 5% less than we are now paying. We had thought we might have to make an adjustment in the premiums that our employees have to pay for family members on their plan. Right now, we deduct 20% of the premium, and we pay 80%. We will see our costs drop with coverage of spouses, since under the new rules, 6 or 7 of our employees will have spouses whose coverage will move to their employer, so we will be covering fewer people. We're happy with the 5% decrease, so we will renew early instead of looking on the exchanges.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:10 pm

I’ve tired to log in to see what my wife would cost after I retire - maybe January 2014 maybe much later. So far I have not been able to get past the 'Sorry there are too many visitors right now, please stay tuned’ window.

Today’s USA Today had a front page story . 50,000-60,000 simultaneous visitors expected, 250,000 actually tried. Do not know how many were actual applications vs how many were window shopping (like me).

I know OC will work for my son and family but not my daughter and family who are covered by Casting Crowns. Guess Methodists are chinchier than Christian Rock Groups.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 am

I will be trying the website sometime this week. I haven't found anyone who actually bought a policy through the exchanges yet.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am

Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act does nothing for retirees like me. I have Medicare Part A (free), Medicare Part B (which costs my wife and I collectively about $200/month), Part D (prescriptions) (which costs us collectively $53/month), and United of Omaha Supplement (Plan F)(which costs us collectively $327/month). We spent $580/month on medical insurance. Our household income is less than $2600/month.
You hear a lot about "Pre-existing conditions" cant be used against you. When changing Medicare Supplement policies, you have to fill out a 15 page questionnaire, and pre-existing conditions play a BIG part in it.
Why doesnt the ACA help retired people iin this situation.??? We are between a rock and hard place, at the mercy of insurance companies who are gouging us.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby KeithE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:04 pm

More distortions about ObamaCare .
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 pm

That's a great link, Keith.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues