[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trans-Pacific Pact

Trans-Pacific Pact

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Trans-Pacific Pact...why I love Thomas Sowell

Postby ET » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Trans-Pacific Pact

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:22 am

Many public services in my local community are privatized or are being considered for privatization. Garbage collection, for example, is private, gummit merely setting some ground rules. The incentive for privatization is to keep gummit from rewarding one group at the expense of taxpayers. Gummit employees lobby and schmooze with elected officials to obtain generous defined benefit pensions. Since individual taxpayers lose little, a few bucks each per month, the system works until unfounded liabilities balloon to staggering sums.

Teachers, firefighters, and police are likely places to find such problems. The typical scenario here is that these constituencies are rewarded for certain politicians to be elected and worry about the expense later. In Keith's gummit
love fest he fails to consider that gummit has no interest of its own and elected officials have primarily self interest (being reflected) as their motivation. At the least the motivations of politicians and capitalists share that one characteristic. But capitalists in their quest for profits will increase shareholder value whereas gummit in their quest for electoral success will have picked winners and losers based on political support.

As examples, look at Detroit and other cities, bloated pensions and the gaming of benefits for employees, our congress reelection rares, the national debt and deficit spending.

...but maybe in Alabama folks don't look at 'getting on with the city or county' as a lifetime job with great retirement benefits.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Media Won’t So I Will.

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:28 am

ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm

No, I'm not implying that Krugman is for the TPP. My post was admittedly not very clear in its argument. My claim is that Krugman pegs the hysteria over some of the claims of the opposition as "hugely overblown". That was my original contention when I jumped into this thread.

As I also noted previously, Krugman also states that the talks seem to be going nowhere and he doesn't come close to espousing some of the hysterical claims made by the folks at "communistdreams.org". Nope, they aren't the communist party...they just love centralized power like real commies.
ET

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:44 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:42 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Oh, by the way, there's also a trans-Atlantic trade deal being negotiated.
ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:40 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Some Good News

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:07 am

One thing struck me in reading back through this topic. Both the GOP and the Democrats are controlled right now by the Wall Street Wing of both parties. The effort in each party is to provide the maximum benefits for the corporate sector. Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton are both part of that Wall Street set in their parties. They just approach how to benefit their friends and contributors a little differently.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:31 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:09 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org