[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Racial Attitudes

Racial Attitudes

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Racial Attitudes

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:39 pm

I just experienced one of the most unpleasant hours I have had in years. I was at the local YMCA for my workout during the coverage of the commemoration of the March on Washington. A man on an elliptical behind me was watching the remarks and constantly making derogatory comments about the African-Americans on the platform like, "What a bunch of monkeys." He continued to call the President "liar" all through his speech and also had several negative things to say about Dr. King. We have a long way to go on race as long as we have people like that in our country.

We pride ourselves on how far we have come, but there is still an element like this. Sadly, this man considers himself a Christian and is probably respected in his church. I wonder if we in the church are strong enough in our approaches to seeking racial cooperation and a Christlike spirit on the race issue. What do we need to be doing?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Racial Attitudes

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Evergreen has worked hard on this. Racial prejudice (which is not just white against black, either) is deeply ingrained in our social history, and will probably never be completely overcome before Jesus comes back, but I think increasing integration and socially acceptable miscegenation will gradually reduce its frequency if not its depth.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:35 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Sadly, there is much overt as well as covert racism in this area. We are still fighting an uphill battle.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Dave, you are a good fellow

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Just this morning I used a facebook post of a near kin family member as an opportunity as what it was like for blacks 50 years ago. It was muted racism showing pictures of 5 black punk/goons and they were who raped a female and slit the penis of the male.

It was an atrocious act, but to spotlight evil criminals of color like that as if the rape and mayhem of American Soldiers at the end of WWII waiting come home--there is a new book about it--is to place all the evil and atrocity among one race. See the concluding paragraphs of Delbanco's reviews googling for Lincoln's Long Game, cover story of a recent New Republic; the last paragraphs on a book I hope to read this fall, at least the spotlighted chapter; the book The Dark River and The Cotton Kingdom, one book.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues