[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is this a racial profiling murder?

Is this a racial profiling murder?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Is this a racial profiling murder?

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:19 am

No 'stand your ground' or 'ground and pound' controversy apparent here. Did these thugs profile the victim and kill him because of his race?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Is this a racial profiling murder?

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

Can't read it without signing up to accept cookies from website.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am

Other coverage I've read mentioned nothing of race but only that they were "bored" and decided to shoot someone.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am

Here's another link:

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

I'm not sure where the subject of racial profiling comes up William? The photos look like the three accused themselves are of different racial backgrounds and the article doesn't mention race at all. Am I missing something you are seeing?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am

just asking.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am

They may all three be black (the one in the middle would have to be asked for his race to be sure), and for all I know they decided they wanted to kill a white guy. If so, yes, it could be racial profiling. If not, then no, it wouldn't be. But the crucial information is missing.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 am

If they decided to kill him because he was Australian, or because he was a baseball player, that would also be profiling, though that Ozzies and baseball players constitute racial groups would be hard to show.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 am

There doesn't seem enough information to determine if there is a racial component or if it fits hate crime status. It's certainly a tragic event with misguided teens doing something horrendous.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:43 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Why would this be racial profiling? The shooters were of three different racial and ethnic backgrounds, the victim was a Caucasian from Australia, apparently of the same racial background as one of the shooters.
Sandy

Postby jeremy_shoulta » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 am

William,

Forgive me if I'm reading too much into your question, but are you ultimately asking how this incident compares to the Trayvon Martin shooting? Even more, are you asking why this case is not getting the same media attention or racial discussion that the Trayvon Martin case received?

Maybe that's not where you're coming from, but I've seen a few Facebook posts over the past few days asking that question.
jeremy_shoulta

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 pm

It will go to a hearing, and there will be a plea bargain. Was it racial profiling, or were they just out to shoot whomever they saw, and the Australian happened to be the first? It's going to be difficult to prove the racial profiling accusation, since only one of the three guys involved was black, and the guy who actually did the shooting was hispanic. They'll get the maxium penalty under the plea agreement, most likely life in prison without parole, and justice will have been done.

It is also unlike the Martin murder because there is no ridiculous "stand your ground" law to be applied. There was no interaction between the shooters and the victim. It's pretty cut and dried.

What this is going to become is yet another example of why guns should be registered and gun owners should be required to undergo a background check. If Oklahoma had enforced such a law, Christopher Lane would be alive today. That, combined with the threat by the potential shooter at the elementary school in Georgia (and the fact that a black woman was responsible for saving a lot of lives) will bolster the case of those who want background checks for all gun owners.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 am

This is plain mindless murder.

It is not so much “profiling” as it was a both a “hate crime” (one of the 3 had tweeted ) and a flippant disregard for life (“for the fun of it”).

Profiling implies a systematic search of people’s characteristics (i.e. race) to identify people for special scrutiny. Nothing systematic about this. The 3 probably saw many whites that day and the Australian was just a random pick. We may find out more.

A former Australian official has called for a tourism boycott of America until we get our guns under better control.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Canebrake

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:21 am

William, we both know your immediate vicinity doesn't have a good history with Lynching. At least one famous case we know about done with the silence of Richard Russell, your regions claim to fame and the mentor of LBJ.

So Jonathan Edwards, Yates Frady and myself would like for you to keep things in perspective.

Have you seen the Butler yet, read the New Yorker easily googled review by Denby. And if so when is your blog gonna appear.

If you can meet me Tuesday at the Georgia Mall and give me a ride all the way to Collinsville, Alabama I will let you buy me that BBQ you've been promising for a long time, and we'll have the luxury of covering many itens/agenda on a blessed bonding Quality time trip!!! :)

email my sfox email. Can discuss the particulars there, but not countin on you, just funnin in real time
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Canebrake

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:42 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Sandy