[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Poll - Min Wage Increase

Poll - Min Wage Increase

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

What should the minimum wage be?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:07 am

$22/hr (matches productivity gains)
No votes
$13.50/hr (livable wage for Kansas - 2 working adults)
57%
$10.10/hr (Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2013)
14%
$9.50/hr (Obama’s suggestion)
14%
$7.25 (current min wage)
14%
There should not be any min wage
No votes

Total votes : 7

Poll - Min Wage Increase

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 am

Assume this is for non-dependents and will be phased in over 3 years. You can add your own nuances in posts. I’ve allowed changing your vote.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Poll - Min Wage Increase

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:15 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 am

Okay, now that we have consensus, $13.50 it is. Should be good for Kansas.
onehundredpercentfor1350.JPG
I take it William and ET are on board? ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Molly and Bill Leonard

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I think there should be some way to make for productivity. And differentiate between 16 year old kid who is working in grocery store or McDonald's to put 400 dollar mags or some other specialty on his ride.

Personal observations, there was a girl working her way through college, happend to be a person of color I talked to on occasion in Chic Fil A. She should be getting 20 an hour cause she made the clocks run on time. Lot of difference in her and some cheerleader working for more makeup.

Bad example cause Chick Fil A is one of the most exemplary chains out there with all the scholarships and good works the Cathy's do.

tricky proposition cause labor or management is always looking for advantage.

Summers of 71-72 I busted my hiney for 2.50 an hour at the Broad River Brick Yard and went to Piedmont Federal every Friday afternoon and put almost all but my tithe in Savings for Furman
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 am

So now our consensus is down to 67%, and the people who think "the poor are always with you" is an injunction to make sure wages aren't raised too high are whittling away at my retirement. Let me see if I understand: Everybody who is currently making less than $13.50 an hour will be given a raise to $13.50/hr, and everyone earning $13.50/hr or more will keep their current pay rate at least for the moment? Or will those currently making more than the current minimum get $13.50 plus the difference between their current rate and the minimum? Or will the difference between rates be compressed but not eliminated for those currently below $13.50? And will there be some sort of upward adjustment to welfare and social security payments to keep those folks from becoming the really poor? And will all those extra wages come out of profits and executive salaries, or from where? Or will a bunch of people have to lose their jobs so some others can achieve a "living wage"? I make slightly over $10/hr now myself, but the minimum wage here in Washington is over $9, so I'm much closer to the bottom of the heap than if I were in Mississippi, except that in Mississippi my job wouldn't exist and the closest thing to it would pay the MS minimum, not $10/hr...

I guess I mean the whole issue is quite complicated, and while I am in favor of raising the minimum wage, I think a lot of other aspects of the issue need to be addressed simultaneously.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Well OK, our poll has concluded with all but one voter saying we need to increase the minimum wage. Most favored almost doubling it within 3 years.

We are consistent with

I’d say write your congressperson but HR 1010 is with only a two percent chance of passage. Note the dismal rate of any bills passing (3%) in last three years.

What a representative congress we have (TIC). Vote the non-representatives out.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues