[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What does BL think?

What does BL think?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Who is more correct about Global Warming?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 am

Keith and the Alarmists
77%
David and the Denialists
23%

Total votes : 13

What does BL think?

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 am

Just to get an idea of where Baptists Lifers think.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: What does BL think?

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 am

I don't like the term "denialist" because it smacks of Naziism.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:05 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Keith,

I voted and certainly believe global warming is for real. I just refuse to argue about it with a bunch of preachers who aren't scientists. I saw Al Gore's presentation at the New Baptist Covenant meeting I attended some years ago and found it compelling. But I'm not a scientist and I can't prove/disprove either side. I personally think non-scientists arguing about science is basically a waste of time so I stay out o this one. :D
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Global warming is the product of real science. There's not much theory in it that hasn't been proven. There are some finite details related to long term effects, but essentially the science is accurate.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

This one is a no brainer

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I hope David remains my lifelong friend but he is as wrong about global warming as he was unqualified and inadequate in the disposition a few years ago here on this board between me and a relative on the matter of a Paula Deen like misunderstanding, a vernacular brouhaha Flick went to the mat over. He never got a grip on the true nature of the fiasco.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Stooge for the Koch Brothers

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:51 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... rming.html

Well is he? Is our David Flick a stooge for the Kochs? :D :brick: :brick: :wave: :gavel:
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Stooge for the Koch Brothers

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: This one is a no brainer

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:13 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Well the voting is over and congratulations to BLifers. At 77% we are more like the Climate Scientists (95-100% believe in man-caused GW) than the US general public which shows 47% believe in AGW (22% in GW due mainly to natural causes, 20% GW is an unproven theory, 11% unsure).

Again polls do not make it so; DATA does.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 am

TrudyU

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 am

FWIW, I did vote, and I did vote pro-AGW, but not until my vote's weight didn't make much visible difference in the graph.

I think climate change is obviously occurring, and my impression is that overall the change is towards both warming and destabilization (i.e. a tendency towards extremes in both directions), and I think it's obvious that human behavior has some effect on the climate and that the tendency of this effect is pro-warming overall.

However, I am not at all sure how much of the trend is to be placed at the feet of us CO₂ producers, nor am I at all convinced of the desirability (let alone the necessity) of a lot of the laws and the like proposed as ways to deal with the situation. Nor am I convinced that any particular type of climate or level of average surface temperature, be it that of today, that of 1000 years ago, or that of my childhood, is necessarily the ideal one that all possible efforts ought to be expended to maintain or return to.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:39 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 am

TrudyU

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues