Global Warming Update

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Re: Global Warming Update

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:Ed: I love this line from the comments section below David's link.

Ricky Michael · Top commenter · Texas A & M University
Edward Owen If it wasn't for Global Warming we would all freeze to death.

It was a good quote. There were a lot of good quotes. I liked the one by B.j. Turner:
      "Global warming / global cooling / climate change / climate aggitation / weather disruption / global hotting....is here and it's real folks...So vote me into office and I'll fix it."
    Turner definitely has my vote... :lol:
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:48 pm

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:53 am

ICCC Keynote Address #2
    Of the outstanding keynote address at the 9th ICCC, the one given by Dr Roy Spencer was my favorite. He' an excellent speaker and is an outstanding climate scientist. He is the principle research scientist for the University of Alabama in Huntsville. He is also the U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite. In the past, he has served as senior scientist for climate studies as NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. He is the recipient of NASA's Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement and the American Meteorological Society's Special Award for his satellite-based temperature monitoring work.

Dr. Spencer maintains a Global Warming Blog.

The title of his address is: "What Do We Really Know About Global Warming?"

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 am

ICCC Keynote Address #3
    Patrick Michaels gave the 3rd keynote address. He is the director of the Center for the Study of Science at the Cato Institute. Michaels is a past president of the American Association of State Climatologists and was program chair for the Committee on Applied Climatology of the American Meteorological Society. He was a research professor of Environmental Sciences at University of Virginia for thirty years. Michaels was a contributing author and is a reviewer of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. His writing has been published in the major scientific journals, including Climate Research, Climatic Change, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Climate, Nature, and Science, as well as in popular serials worldwide. He is the author or editor of six books on climate and its impact, and he was an author of the climate “paper of the year” awarded by the Association of American Geographers in 2004. He has appeared on most of the worldwide major media. Michaels holds A.B. and S.M. degrees in biological sciences and plant ecology from the University of Chicago, and he received a Ph.D. in ecological climatology from the University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1979.

The title of his address is: "The Systematic Corruption of (Not Just Climate) Science"

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 am

This cartoon appeared last week on the platform screen during John Coleman's keynote speech at the 9th International Conference on Climate Change. I'll post Coleman's speech next week. Tomorrow I will post the keynote speech given by Pactrick Moore, who was a founding member and former president and international director of Greenpeace.

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 am

ICCC Keynote Address #4
    The 4th keynote address was given by Patrick Moore, PhD. He was a founding member and former president and international director of Greenpeace. His book, Confessions of a Greenpeace Dropout: The Making of a Sensible Environmentalist is a firsthand account of his many years spent as the ultimate Greenpeace insider. He was a member of the British Columbia government appointed Round Table on the Environment and Economy from 1990-1994. In 1990 Moore founded and chaired the BC Carbon Project, a group that worked to develope a common understanding of climate change. He is currently working as an independent scientist and consultant, advising government and industry on a wide range of environmental and sustainability issues.

To the general public, Patrick Moore is one of the lesser known AGW skeptics. He is, however, quite well known among the radical AGW alarmists, being one one of the skeptics they love to hate the most. One can google dozens of misleading alarmist hit pieces that attempt to discredit him. One of the many lies told by the alarmists is that he wasn't actually a co-founder of Greenpeace, which is completely false. In his presentation Moore discloses how and where Greenpeace was started and proves it with this photo.

To illustrate the venom directed toward him by the radical alarmists, one can read this article, this article, this article, this article,
    this article, and this article. Wikipedia, which is totally sold out to AGW alarmism, even has an article about Moore.

Moore's Keynote address is entitled, "Confessions of a Greenpeace Dropout"
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 pm

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 am

For the last week it's been in the high 70s to mid-80s in Memphis....in mid-July. Sunroof open, A/C off....I'll take this ANYTIME. :thumb: Forecast says we may even get a few more days of it next week after getting back to normal this week. This makes 2 out of the last 3 summers we've had unusually cool weather in the normally brutally hot days of July and August.

(For the uninitiated, normally it is temps anywhere from low 90s to mid 90s during the day with heat index usually in the high 90s and often topping 100. At 10 o'clock at night it can still be in the high 80s.)

Just rejoicing in some awesome summer weather.....now, back to our regularly scheduled programming..... :)
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 am

ET wrote:For the last week it's been in the high 70s to mid-80s in Memphis....in mid-July. Sunroof open, A/C off....I'll take this ANYTIME. :thumb: Forecast says we may even get a few more days of it next week after getting back to normal this week. This makes 2 out of the last 3 summers we've had unusually cool weather in the normally brutally hot days of July and August.

(For the uninitiated, normally it is temps anywhere from low 90s to mid 90s during the day with heat index usually in the high 90s and often topping 100. At 10 o'clock at night it can still be in the high 80s.)

Just rejoicing in some awesome summer weather.....now, back to our regularly scheduled programming..... :)

Good golfing weather.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 am

ET wrote:For the last week it's been in the high 70s to mid-80s in Memphis....in mid-July. Sunroof open, A/C off....I'll take this ANYTIME. :thumb: Forecast says we may even get a few more days of it next week after getting back to normal this week. This makes 2 out of the last 3 summers we've had unusually cool weather in the normally brutally hot days of July and August.

I was in Memphis in the summer of 1981 when temps were over 100 for a month straight. Evening low temps were in the mid-80s. At the time I was a seminary grad working installing storm windows and insulating attics. We would do an attic at 6:30 or so in the morning.

Too bad we didn't know about GW/Climate Change back then. We probably could have fixed it by now or at least bankrupted the country trying.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hate to bother you two ( :D ), but I thought these were an interesting addition to the topic:

Stop buying big fridges, middle class families told, U.K. Telegraph, 7/11/2014
Middle-class families should stop buying large fridges in order to save energy and tackle climate change, a government-commissioned report has suggested.

Families could save up to £36 a year on their electricity bills by replacing large fridge-freezers or televisions with smaller appliances, according to a study published by the Department for Energy and Climate Change.

The report found that the average family fridge had grown in volume by two fifths since 1985, amid a fashion for large American-style appliances, while the average television had grown by more than seven inches since 2004. It warned that the trend undermined attempts to cut carbon emissions.
Nicola Terry, a co-author of the study, said: “Why do we need a bigger TV, and why do we need a bigger fridge? I don’t understand the case, but when people go to the shop they think, that’s bigger it must be better.”

The "NEED police" are alive and well even over in the U.K.

Not exactly earth shattering or unexpected, but People who claim to worry about climate change use more electricity, U.K. Telegraph, 7/14/2014.
...there is only a “weak trend” to show that people who profess to care about climate change do much to cut their energy use.

Study is linked in article, although 250 households isn't a huge sample.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:05 am

Continuation of Keynote Addresses given at the 9th International Conference held in Las Vegas, NV on July 7-9

ICCC Keynote Address #5
    John Coleman has been a TV weatherman in Champaign, Peoria, and Chicago, Illinois; Omaha, Nebraska; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and New York City. He was the original weathercaster on what was then the brand-new ABC network morning program, Good Morning America. He stayed seven years, then founded The Weather Channel, serving as its CEO and president during the startup and its first year of operation. After The Weather Channel he became weather anchor at WCBS-TV in New York and then at WMAQ-TV in Chicago, before moving to Southern California to join the independent television station, KUSI-TV in San Diego, in what he fondly calls his “retirement job.”

Here's a more detailed bio of John Coleman

Coleman is extremely articulate, possessing a pleasant style of presenting the truth about the bogus science of catastrophic anthropogenic global warming. Try as they might, the alarmists can't silence him. Nor can they turn a deaf ear to his message. As is true for a great many of the AGW skeptics, Coleman receives negative flak from the radical alarmists. Many of his alarmist haters constantly spread lies and misinformation about him on in articles and on various websites. Here's a sampling of the lies and misinformation from the radical the alarmists: One of the criticisms most often lodged against Coleman is that he's not a climate scientist, rather he's just a meteorologist. It's true, that he is a meteorologist and has been one for 60+ years. The criticism is quite a hypocritical conclusion. Al Gore is the globe's #1 proponant of AGW and he's not a climate scientist. Not even close.

The title of Coleman's address is: "How the Global Warming Frenzy Began"

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:59 am

The final Keynote Address given at the 9th International Conference held in Las Vegas, NV on July 7-9

ICCC Keynote Address #6
    Christopher Monckton gave the final keynote address of the 2014 International Conference on Climate Change. Read his bio here.

Of all the spokespersons for the skeptical side of the debate, Monckton is the one which AGW alarmists love to hate the most. He has been described as being "the bane of environmentalist extremist activism everywhere. Every time the alarmists pull out some fictitious fact or argument that lacks scientific basis, Monckton strikes with the hammer of truth." He destroys the AGW propaganda with amazing skill and does so with matchless humor. Attempts to discredit him are numerous, absurd, and ludicrous. Here are a few examples from various radical alarmist websites: The title of Monckton's address is: "End of an error."

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Better watch those references to the cooler weather in Memphis. The cooling temps, polar vortexes and extreme winter in the Northern hemisphere, especially mid-continent, is one of the signs of global warming. The warmer waters reverse Atlantic and Pacific currents, and the air masses which are normally prevented from getting very far south in the summer, and winter, can get further than normal.

I'm sure the cooler temps have been welcome in Memphis, though unwittingly proving that global warming is real. ;-)
Sandy
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 am

Sandy wrote:Better watch those references to the cooler weather in Memphis. The cooling temps, polar vortexes and extreme winter in the Northern hemisphere, especially mid-continent, is one of the signs of global warming. The warmer waters reverse Atlantic and Pacific currents, and the air masses which are normally prevented from getting very far south in the summer, and winter, can get further than normal.

Gee, you're good. Really good at parroting AGW alarmist talking points... :lol:
I'm sure the cooler temps have been welcome in Memphis, though unwittingly proving that global warming is real. ;-)

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:49 am

David Flick wrote:Gee, you're good. Really good at parroting AGW alarmist talking points...

Actually, I learned that from a college meteorology professor back in the 70's, before every aspect of American life was turned into a political issue by Rush Limbaugh and the radio dj wannabees. Warming global temperatures suppress ocean currents which keep cool and cold fronts and low pressure systems penned up in Northern Canada, especially during the summer. So cooler weather drifts further south in the summer, and temperatures normally only seen from Canada northward are experienced much further south.

But I'd expect that kind of response from the denialist side of the issue, since they don't seem to rely on facts or meteorology. :lol:

With global warming denialists, it's a matter of following the money trail. Figuring out which corporations or business blocks are buying the manufactured information is the bottom line.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:00 am

The earth is made up of at lot more than the thin layer of atmosphere.

David, I do not recall you acknowledging the continuing ocean heating (which is where 90%+ of the heating has occurred and continues today unabated).

or glacial losses

or the Arctic sea ice volume loss.

And as for the atmospheric temperatures, it has been near constant for 11 years not 17 years (5 year average)

And one cannot ignore the rise since 1880 with a pause from 1940-1977.

And the amount of hot air arising from Las Vegas denialist conference has yet to be accounted for.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 am

KeithE wrote:And the amount of hot air arising from Las Vegas denialist conference has yet to be accounted for.

I don't know about that. Las Vegas is experiencing record rainfall and flooding right now, which credible, trained, meteorologists not paid by corporate entities will tell you is a sign of global warming. ;-) :lol:
Sandy
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:48 pm

KeithE wrote:And the amount of hot air arising from Las Vegas denialist conference has yet to be accounted for.

Sandy wrote:I don't know about that. Las Vegas is experiencing record rainfall and flooding right now, which credible, trained, meteorologists not paid by corporate entities will tell you is a sign of global warming. ;-) :lol:

Care to name a couple of those so-called "credible, trained, meteorologists" who are "not paid by corporate entities," the same of which claim that the record rainfall in Las Vegas is "sign of global warming?" The names of any two of these wizards of weather smarts will do. While you're at it, provide documentation that these weather wizards aren't paid by corporate entities. I'm very interested to see if you actually know what you're talking about... :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:24 pm

The Complete List...

For the uninitiated, and to graciously assist my friend, Sandy, here's the (almost) complete list of things caused by Global Warming. (Obviously, a good number of the links are dead. Perhaps because they are too preposterous...)

:lol:

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 pm

KeithE wrote:The earth is made up of at lot more than the thin layer of atmosphere.

I haven't a clue where you got this image inasmuch as it's linked to one of your personal photobucket albums. It's one of the oddest images I've ever seen you post. It looks very much like it came from Michael Mann's Real Climate website, Jim Hoggan's DeSmogBlog, John Cook's SkepticalScience blog, Joe Romm's ClimateProgress blog, or one of the many radical alarmist websites. The image makes no sense whatsoever other than a vain attempt to discredit AGW skeptics.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David, I do not recall you acknowledging the continuing ocean heating (which is where 90%+ of the heating has occurred and continues today unabated).
    It's true that I've never acknowledged the so-called continuing ocean heating. The reason I don't acknowledge it is because it's pure myth. BaloneyCheese, if you will. Your image below is nothing more than alarmist speculation. There is absolutely no possible way that anyone can accurately measure temperatures (hot or cold) in the oceans.

This image ↓ is bogus. There's no possible way anyone can accurately measure ocean temperatures.

Aside from the fact that it's virtually impossible to accurately measure ocean temperatures, the notion that the oceans are heating "unabatedly" is nothing more than AGW alarmist fantasy. Kevin Trenberth and John Fasullo are the two who hatched the notion about the "lost" heat hiding in the oceans. Their fantasy is published in this paper: An apparent hiatus in global warming? Trenberth, along with SkepticalScience website gurus, Dana Nuccitelli and Rob Painting, subsequently published another article on the SkepticalScience blog containing the same propaganda. (Warming oceans consistent with rising sea level & global energy imbalance)

The idea that missing heat of the so-called "hiatus" is hiding in the oceans has been debunked. See here, here, here, here, and here.

Regarding the notion that the oceans are heating unabatedly and in unprecedented fashion, a simple series of fact checks are appropriate here. Even NOAA acknowledged that global ocean warming is NOT unprecedented. Climate FactCheck: Is Current Global Ocean Warming Unprecedented? NOAA Says 'NO'

Furthermore, NOAA declares that the oceans may (with "may" being the operative word), increase by a whopping one-tenth degree in the by 2100. (NOAA's Ocean Climate Records Indicate Oceans May Warm Only One-Tenth Degree By Year 2100) That's one-tenth of a single solitary degree in the next 86 years! Granted, NOAA can't be dead certain about such a temperature rise in oceans, but it's certainly nothing that could strike fear into the hearts of sane thinking people...
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or glacial losses
    The graph below is par for the course with radical alarmist websites like SkepticalScience.Com (which is where Keith found the graph below). As far as the global warming discussion is concerned, receding and expanding glaciers are meaningless. Since the beginning of time, glaciers have been expanding and receding.

And as for the atmospheric temperatures, it has been near constant for 11 years not 17 years (5 year average)

Yes, and one cannot ignore the fact that global temperatures have risen only 1.4 degrees since 1880. If anything will send chills up the back of an AGW alarmist, just tell him that global temperatures have risen massive 1.4 degrees in the last 134 years!! Yep, that's exactly what your graph above shows. Now, that's gosh-awful, dadgum scarey, isn't it?.. :lol: :lol:
And the amount of hot air arising from Las Vegas denialist conference has yet to be accounted for.
        :lol: :lol:
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:00 am

David Flick wrote:
            The Complete List...

For the uninitiated, and to graciously assist my friend, Sandy, here's the (almost) complete list of things caused by Global Warming. (Obviously, a good number of the links are dead. Perhaps because they are too preposterous...)

:lol:

David wrote:
        Breaking News: Early this morning, as I was reading information about the various things caused by global warming, I ran across four interesting articles with wild claims about things global warming/climate change will cause.

• First Article: Apparently global warming is causing an increase in anger outbursts and explosive obscenities. Last week, CNN news anchor, Bill Weir, took to his Twitter account and launched an obscene attack on global warming skepticism. The enraged news anchor called skeptics "...willfully ignorant ****sticks." Just another in a humongous list of things caused by global warming. About what you would expect from CNN. The level of hatred toward AGW skeptics apparently knows no limit... :roll:
        • Second Article: Unmitigated climate change will actually increase the inequalities between men and women if no counter measures are taken. Here's the article.
        • Third Article: AGW alarmism at is gory best; no commentary needed.“ Climate change is killing our Mother Earth
        • Fourth Article: This article contains not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 ridiculous claims of what global warming will cause.
        The wonders of catastrophic global warming will never cease. Apparently the Las Vegas record rainfall and flooding is small potatoes compared to many other ill fated things caused by global warming... :lol:

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 am

David Flick wrote:
KeithE wrote:The earth is made up of at lot more than the thin layer of atmosphere.

I haven't a clue where you got this image inasmuch as it's linked to one of your personal photobucket albums. It's one of the oddest images I've ever seen you post. It looks very much like it came from Michael Mann's Real Climate website, Jim Hoggan's DeSmogBlog, John Cook's SkepticalScience blog, Joe Romm's ClimateProgress blog, or one of the many radical alarmist websites. The image makes no sense whatsoever other than a vain attempt to discredit AGW skeptics.
    It's true that I've never acknowledged the so-called continuing ocean heating. The reason I don't acknowledge it is because it's pure myth. BaloneyCheese, if you will. Your image below is nothing more than alarmist speculation. There is absolutely no possible way that anyone can accurately measure temperatures (hot or cold) in the oceans.

The point of the chart is made - David does not want to look at the real world of measurements (if it does not suit his fancy). The Argo System has systematically measured ocean temperature beginning around 2000 with this array of 3600 buoys that dive down as far as 2000 meters to measure the temperature at various depths.
Ocean heat content is an integral of those measurements over a stated depth expressed in joules (that’s a unit of energy, David).

Read more about this data from Levitus, etal 2012 paper (.pdf available) including the bathymetric data used prior to the establishment of the Argo System.

Yet David says measuring ocean temps cannot be done. Don’t like the results (which does show “unabated increase” since 1970), then merely claim it cannot be done accurately. David Flick’s word vs Levitus, etal and many others.

David Flick wrote:
David Flick wrote:
      This image ↓ is bogus. There's no possible way anyone can accurately measure ocean temperatures.

Aside from the fact that it's virtually impossible to accurately measure ocean temperatures, the notion that the oceans are heating "unabatedly" is nothing more than AGW alarmist fantasy. Kevin Trenberth and John Fasullo are the two who hatched the notion about the "lost" heat hiding in the oceans. Their fantasy is published in this paper: An apparent hiatus in global warming? Trenberth, along with SkepticalScience website gurus, Dana Nuccitelli and Rob Painting, subsequently published another article on the SkepticalScience blog containing the same propaganda. (Warming oceans consistent with rising sea level & global energy imbalance)

The idea that missing heat of the so-called "hiatus" is hiding in the oceans has been debunked. See here, here, here, here, and here.

Regarding the notion that the oceans are heating unabatedly and in unprecedented fashion, a simple series of fact checks are appropriate here. Even NOAA acknowledged that global ocean warming is NOT unprecedented. Climate FactCheck: Is Current Global Ocean Warming Unprecedented? NOAA Says 'NO'

Furthermore, NOAA declares that the oceans may (with "may" being the operative word), increase by a whopping one-tenth degree in the by 2100. (NOAA's Ocean Climate Records Indicate Oceans May Warm Only One-Tenth Degree By Year 2100) That's one-tenth of a single solitary degree in the next 86 years! Granted, NOAA can't be dead certain about such a temperature rise in oceans, but it's certainly nothing that could strike fear into the hearts of sane thinking people...
or glacial losses
    The graph below is par for the course with radical alarmist websites like SkepticalScience.Com (which is where Keith found the graph below). As far as the global warming discussion is concerned, receding and expanding glaciers are meaningless. Since the beginning of time, glaciers have been expanding and receding.

Skeptical Science is not alone is supplying data on glacial mass losses.
Google up “glacial volume graphs” and you will see a plethora of data
or read about it at glacier mass balance
or see pictures of the glacier decline here
or better yet follow the scientific data at the World Glacier Monitoring Service.

Skeptical Science is devoted to countering the denialist cabal, but it does so with scientific integrity.

David Flick wrote:
David Flick wrote:

This one highlights the utter dishonesty of the denialist movement and the incredible naiveté of those who jump at any false story they tell. And I know I have pointed out this lie previously here on BL.

The Dec 2013 article that David quotes merely points out the "Arctic ice coverage is up 50 percent this year from 2012 levels”. Turns out that that 50% rise was for the the month of September (usually the minimum sea ice month) and was a temporary upturn (after a severe drop in 2012) vs a long term downward trend.
No mention of that fact or plot given in that Dec 2013 article. That shows a lack of integrity.

Besides the best indicator of sea ice loss is volume not areal extent. Below is the PIOMAS volume measurements since 1979 (enlarged) in a conveniently plotted format.
One can see that for Septembers the Arctic Sea Ice is down from 17,000 cubic km to 5,500 cubic km (a 68% reduction). And in Aprils (maximum sea ice) the volume is down from 33,000 cu km to 23, 000 cu km (a 30% reduction). Note also that sure enough from Sept 2012 to Sept 2013 there was an increase in the sea ice volume as well as extent. But the volume increase was only ~30% not 50%. But that month/year was clearly a cherry-picked anomaly. Dishonest to say the least.

The spiral plot shows the overall trends in all months since data has been taken. Ignore that David.

David Flick wrote:
David Flick wrote:And as for the atmospheric temperatures, it has been near constant for 11 years not 17 years (5 year average)

Yes, and one cannot ignore the fact that global temperatures have risen only 1.4 degrees since 1880. If anything will send chills up the back of an AGW alarmist, just tell him that global temperatures have risen massive 1.4 degrees in the last 134 years!! Yep, that's exactly what your graph above shows. Now, that's gosh-awful, dadgum scarey, isn't it?.. :lol: :lol:
        :lol: :lol:

The RSS (Remote Sensing Systems in Santa Rosa, CA) data reduction (version 3.3) of the MSU/AMSU satellite lower troposphere temperature data that UAH (Univ of Alabama in Huntsville) manages could not be confirmed (they have deleted old data reductions). Yet the denialist cabal has latched onto this old data reduction. But here is the same data (version 5.6) plotted by Roy Spencer- UAH (darling of the denialist cabal) which shows quite of bit of increase since 1997 and follows the GISS direct measurements quite closely with peaks in 1998 and 2010.

Data does not lie (and discrepancies in data reduction are usually worked out), but industry-led RW groups do lie (repeatedly).

David, it is high time you realize how duped you are by the industry-led, anti-regulation ideologues. But I realize that would take a miracle at this juncture.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 am

David Flick wrote:

Sandy wrote:I don't know about that. Las Vegas is experiencing record rainfall and flooding right now, which credible, trained, meteorologists not paid by corporate entities will tell you is a sign of global warming. ;-) :lol:

Care to name a couple of those so-called "credible, trained, meteorologists" who are "not paid by corporate entities," the same of which claim that the record rainfall in Las Vegas is "sign of global warming?" The names of any two of these wizards of weather smarts will do. While you're at it, provide documentation that these weather wizards aren't paid by corporate entities. I'm very interested to see if you actually know what you're talking about... :D

Oh, David, I think Keith provides a landslide of credible, meteorological, scientific evidence with real data, not the paid propaganda from extremist right wing sources that you provide, and he proves his point. I concluded long ago, by looking at sources where it comes from, that denial of global warming is not science, it is paid propaganda. Follow the money trail, you can't trust anything that corporate interests support. If you want credibility, look at Keith's stuff. I just jump in here occasionally for a good laugh.

I don't think denialists are "willfully ignorant." It's pretty obvious, from the opposition, and the paid propaganda that is systematically organized and carefully calculated, that the denialists believe that global warming is occurring, and that they are protecting their financial assets by attempting to affect government policy. Those who buy into that aren't "willfully" denying truth, they're just duped by the propaganda.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:22 am

KeithE wrote:Data does not lie (and discrepancies in data reduction are usually worked out), but industry-led RW groups do lie (repeatedly).

True, data do not lie. A better way of stating it would be to say that honest data do not lie. There are two kinds of data. One is honest data. The other is alarmist generated data. You inadvertently nailed it when you pointed out that "discrepancies in data reduction are usually worked out. Yes, that's exactly how the alarmist machine operates. They "work out" the data to fit their bogus theories. When alarmists manipulate data, they become the liars. Then they have the audacity to accuse skeptics of being liars.

Actually, there are alarmists everywhere on the globe who are notorious for changing, fixing, creating, and manipulating ("working out") data to suit their alarmist fancies. There are literally scores of alarmists who have created or manipulated data . I'll cite just just a few of the many for you here.

• Al Gore: Bless his soul, ole Algore is probably most notorious of all data creators & manipulators. It's virtually impossible for me document all of the places where he uses bogus data, which is nearly every time he opens his mouth. But for starters, his book/movie (An Inconvenient Truth) is a perfect example. Seven years ago, Christopher Monckton (yes, the same Monckton you love to hate so well) documented no less than 35 errors (lies) in AIT. No need for me to delinate each of them here inasmuch as you can read them for yourself. Needless to say, everyone who latches on to Gore's bogus data is believing lies. Here's a specific example of a lie found in AIT. To put it bluntly, every time Gore opens his mouth while using bogus data about about global warming, he is lying.

• James Hansen & NASA GISS: Other than Gore, Hansen is the person most responsible bringing catastrophic AGW into popularity. Also, other than Gore, he ranks as one of the most rabid global warming alarmist on the globe. He'll do anything to grab personal attention, include getting himself arrested. He possesses such a wild phobia about global warming that he wrote a Chicken Little book delineating the "coming climate catastrophe" and the so-called, "last chance to save humanity".
      ............Another instance of grabbing attention for himself and the cause he espouse occurred on June 23,1988. On the day he gave that alarming testimony to a congressional hearing, he chose what would normally be the hottest day of the year in Washington DC. During the night prior to his appearance before a Congressional hearing, he sabotaged the air conditioning in the hearing room so as to make it extremely while he was giving his most alarming speech. That event is documented here and here.
      ............In order to promote AGW alarmism, Hansen has resorted twisting and manipulating global warming data from the beginning. No need for me to document every case. Couldn't if I wanted to because there are so many instances. Hansen was head of NASA GISS (NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies) from 1981 to 2013 (34 years). Keep in mind that NASA GISS references contained in this section trace directly to Hansen. Documentation of Hansen and NASA GISS manipulated data can be found Here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and dozens of other urls which can be easily googled. Every time Hansen pushes bogus or manipulated data, the popular alarmist websites and blogs (i.e. SkepticalScience, RealClimate, DesSogBlog, ClimateProgress, Al Gore's Blog, Al Gore's "Climate Reality Project", GreenPeace, Andrew Revkin's Dot Earth Blog and scores of other lesser alarmist blogs and websites...) latch on to the bogus climate data and repeat it as "truth."

• Michael Mann: Michael Mann created the first of his infamous hockey stick graphs using grossly manipulated data. Literally. Here's the thumbnail sketch of how he managed to do it.
      ............In 1990, the IPCC published its First Assessment Report (FAR; 1990) containing this representation of Earth’s recent climate history. The graph clearly shows a 400-year period (approximately between, 900 CE to 1300 CE) of global temperatures that were considerably warmer than today's global temperatures. Prior to 2nd IPCC report (SAR; 1990) & 3rd IPCC report (TAR; 1995), no one had ever questioned the facts of the MWP. It was accepted as fact. Along comes Michael Mann, an unknown dendrochronologist, who created the unusual graph which showed that global temperatures were rapidly rapidly accelerating, even to the point that temperatures had never reach this level. The graph depicted a bogus picture of past climate history. The graph completely eliminated the MWP as well as the Little Ice Age (LIA). The results of manipulating the known data of the MWP & the LIA is the the creation of the first Hockey Stick graph. Here's an over/under comparison image Mann's graph and the graph that was included in the first IPCC Report.
      ............Not long after the first hockey stick graph appeared, it became abundantly clear that it was completely bogus. In an effort thwart the massive criticism of the first graph, Mann massaged the bogus data and constructed (He described it as a "reconstruction") a second graph which supposedly included the MWP and the LIA. However, "Reconstructed" graph was still bogus and was just as far off the mark as was the first. The AGW alarmist machine came out of the woodwork with every conceivable lie possible to prop up their beloved dendrochronologist. Here are two detailed versions of the truth about Michael Mann's manipulated climate data: (1) The rise and fall of the Hockey Stick and Mann-made global warming alarm (2) Michael Mann: Defamed or defined by “Hide the decline”? Not to worry for the alarmists, however, they continue to promote the debunked hockey stick graph as gospel truth.

• Phil Jones: Jones was one of the of Climategate conspirators. Climategate was a broad conspiracy to manipulate data so as to create the impression that global temperatures were skyrocketing out of sight. Jones was a co-conspirator with Michael Mann in the "Hide the Decline" controversy. This article explains how Jones used Mann's bogus "hockey stick" data to push the notion that global temperatures were unprecedented. He accepted Mann's effort to eliminate the the Medieval Warming Period and the Little Ice Age from the hockey stick graph. Jones and Mann were both key figures in the second Climategate scandal. Both scandals involved conspiracies to manipulate climate data.
    There isn't enough space in this one post to delineate every instance of climate data manipulation by every AGW proponent, so I'll bring it to a close. But anyone with a clear mind will observe from the documentation presented above that climate data manipulation is par for the course with AGW alarmists. You say data cannot lie. With that, I can agree. But as I stated earlier, there are two kinds of global warming data. One is genuine honest data; the other is alarmist-manipulated data. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to discern the difference between the two.
1David, it is high time you realize how duped you are by the industry-led, anti-regulation ideologues. 2But I realize that would take a miracle at this juncture.

David Flick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues