Global Warming Update

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Re: Global Warming Update

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:42 am

Just to handle one mischaracterization (I’ll be kind and not call it a lie) in David’s post above before work this morning.

David gave a link entitled "a specific example of a lie found in AIT” referring to Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth (AIT) released on Jan 24, 2006. The plot and main point given in that link is:
showing a low point in Feb 2012 and drawing a line from Jan 2006 until Feb 2012 therefore claiming a “lie". Al Gore in AIT had said (given this data and other longer term data - e.g GISS) that air temperatures will continue to increase unless ghg’s are controlled. Aside from the fact I don’t think prognostication can be a “lie” (it can be wrong) and the fact that the ghg’s emissions have diminished since 2006 (in the US at least),
Al Gore’s global prognostication is correct looking at the more recent data.

I wonder why David didn't show Roy Spencer's latest data which I gave in my post yesterday and repeat here:
which I got directly from Roy Spencer’s website as of August 5, 2014. It is the same data except extended beyond Feb 2012 until July 2014. It shows a rise of 0.1C from Jan 2006 until July 2014.

No excuses David, I had provided that data just yesterday! This is typical of the personal vedanta crapola coming from those that David trusts and apparently never checks or updates.

I note that the first half of David’s post is all personal vendetta vs scientists (and Al Gore). The second half of David’s post is the PR war about who takes funding from who and how much. That is another area that the RW mischaracterizes. It is no more honest than the scientific data mishandling described above. I focus on the science.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 am

David Flick wrote:
    Yes, and one cannot ignore the fact that global temperatures have risen only 1.4 degrees since 1880. If anything will send chills up the back of an AGW alarmist, just tell him that global temperatures have risen massive 1.4 degrees in the last 134 years!! Yep, that's exactly what your graph above shows. Now, that's gosh-awful, dadgum scarey, isn't it?.. :lol: :lol:

Today before work (still have 11 days to go but who is counting), let me provide some information about what ill-effects have already been observed due to global warming. This Hot Map gives 75+ Hot Points around the globe and documents the effects.

Click on these Hot Points for
1) a brief description of the effects,
2) scroll down to read basic facts and
3) read the "detail page” for greater detail and related references.
The map concentrates on the US because there are more documented effects known there - I’m sure there would be a more equal density of Hot Points around the world if these effects were more uniformly studied. And the oceans have been perhaps the most affected environment and are not mentioned.

Then look over the projected impacts in 17 categories down the left side.

After reading this, if one’s attitude is like David’s sarcasm above, you are either a scientific ill-literate, apathetic about world conditions now and in the future, or have been brainwashed by the GW denialism machine.

I’ll admit that this $900M/year Climate Change Counter Movement (CCCM) PR effort has had an effect in the US public opinion beginning about 2008 (but is waning today as the effects have become more visible).
Series of Gallup Polls on global Warming.
First one below:
But scan them all as you have time and interest.

The US leads the world in GW denialism due to this very aggressive PR machine in the US; but still 57% of Americansbelieve we are "heading for an environmental disaster if we do not change quickly” vs ~30% who are in denial.
I would suggest that most of the ~30% GW denialists are among the diehard conservatives that listen to Fox News' one-sided propaganda or some (like David) tie into WattsUpWithThat and other sources of scientific mischaracterization (again I’m being nice).

Remember 95-100% of climatologists (those most studied on the matter) (depending on polls every year since 2007), believe not only in the threat of GW/CC but also that man has caused this.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:25 am

Keith & Algore have been nervously and consistently warning about dangerous and rapidly melting Arctic sea ice. Keith often cites the hopelessly bogus quotes from the so-called "97% of climatologists" as proof positive that an ice-free Arctic region is imminent.
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:23 pm, Keith wrote:
[...]

But one needs to understand it is the long term trends in past measured data of several parameters (Arctic sea ice volume, glaciers, coral reefs, ocean temps, atmospheric temps, weather extremes) that prove w/o any serious doubt to 97% of climatologists that GW/CC is a man-caused threat to our future habitat and inaction now with cement that threat in. Even w/o computer model projections one has to "hope" these parameters improve so as to avoid more harmful effects. Our track is not good. Positive feedback is also occurring - one study this week mentioned the albedo feedback from melting Arctic sea ice as being responsible for up to 1/4 of the ocean's heating (as I remember).
(Source...)

In 2007, 2008 and 2009, Gore publicly and very hysterically warned that the North Pole would be “ice-free” by around 2013 because of alleged “man-made global warming.” Back in 2007, in his typical hysterical manner, Gore boasted that "The North Polar ice cap is falling off a cliff. It could be completely gone in summer in as little as seven years." (Source...)

So much for all the hysteria about an ice-free Arctic region by 2013. An article, which appeared yesterday, the notion that the North Polar ice cap would be ice-free has been thoroughly debunked. Without further comment, I submit the article for reading by BLifers and BLife alarmists...

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:44 am

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:58 am

Bunch of bull but I’m not going to waste my retirement time answering David.

If he continues to link disreputable sources like the GWPF, James Delingpole, and Roy Spencer (who had to dig out old climate modeling from 1983 to make his very partial point [air temps increases have been lower that predicted in 1983] and does not include increases in ocean temps or cryospshere melting nor the entire history of air surface temps for that matter), I will seek permission from the BL staff to delete them!

Meanwhile read the truth: 2014 IPCC WG I Summary for Policymakers.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:10 am

KeithE wrote:

Bunch of bull but I’m not going to waste my retirement time answering David.
        :lol:
If he continues to link disreputable sources like the GWPF, James Delingpole, and Roy Spencer (who had to dig out old climate modeling from 1983 to make his very partial point [air temps increases have been lower that predicted in 1983] and does not include increases in ocean temps or cryospshere melting nor the entire history of air surface temps for that matter), I will seek permission from the BL staff to delete them!
    What's the matter, Keith? Can't take the cold hard facts or an opposing view?? :lol:
Meanwhile read the truth: 2014 IPCC WG I Summary for Policymakers.

Yeah sure, you can be sure that the IPCC is the beacon of Global Warming truth... :lol:
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:27 am

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:39 am

Yes, Global Warming is real... :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 am

Jonathon Moseley wrote:
    September 15, 2014

The Oceans Ate Global Warming?
    By Jonathon Moseley

In Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll, Alice says she cannot believe impossible things. The Queen of Hearts is surprised: “When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

Therefore, suppose we compare two events:

1. Global warming advocates argue that the oceans are absorbing the extra heat that their computer models predicted, which has mysteriously vanished. The missing heat over the last 18 years has been going into the oceans.
    2. Yet, the Arctic Sea Ice Cap aound the North Pole has grown by 43% since 2012. As confirmed by satellites from orbit, the Arctic ice pack has grown by 1.715 million square kilometers in the last two years, as reported in England’s Daily Mail. That is the size of the truly massive state of Alaska.
    So, might we ask a question? Yes, you with your hand up.

If the Earth hasn’t warmed for the last 18 years because the predicted heat is going into the oceans, then why is there 43% more ice in the last two years? If you add heat to water containing ice, doesn’t the ice normally melt? Does it normally freeze over, creating more ice?

(Continue reading...)

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:59 am

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Anyone interested in watching AGW climate change propaganda live and in loving color? Algore's so-called "24 Hours of Reality" show began today at 12:00pm CDT. As of 7:00pm CDT, the show is in hour #9. The slick and very good looking climate change snake oil salesmen/women are doing a fine job of attacking those evil "deniers." The Climate Change medicine show runs from noon to noon, today & tomorrow. Gotta hand it to them. They do a real good job of promoting propaganda... Very, very slick and well choreographed...

Here's the link to the live broadcast for the best propaganda that Algore's money can buy: 24 Hours or Reality

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 pm

David,

Thanks for your last post/link (24 Hours of Reality). I will watch it.

Your 5 posts prior to that are not worthy of my time.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 am

KeithE wrote:David,

Thanks for your last post/link (24 Hours of Reality). I will watch it.

You're welcome...

Your 5 posts prior to that are not worthy of my time.

Not a problem. I didn't expect you to reply...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:52 am

David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:37 am

David Flick wrote:.
            Antarctic Sea Ice Extent Update...

It appears true that the last several month have shown an increase in sea ice extent but not necessarily volume (can’t find that data) and certainly not overall ice melts over the south pole region. As I have explained before, scientists know that this increase in sea ice extent is due to melting/breakup of the glacial ice over the continent of Antarctica (particularly over the West Antarctic Glacier). That water runs out to sea and refreezes at sea in fresh water form which freezes easier than saline water. This is not news to the scientific community - read more at The World Is Warming. So Why Is Antarctic Sea Ice Hitting Record Highs? with this reason and several others.

Overall the Antarctic region is losing ice at an increasingly rapid rate.
Source is NASA.

Read it and quit passing on isolated/misleading factoids.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues