[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - ObamaCare Costs

ObamaCare Costs

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

ObamaCare Costs

Postby KeithE » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 am

Here are two calculators (both unofficial estimates) about ObamaCare insurance costs for household premiums:

gives a monthly rate.

gives a yearly rate.

They are substantially age-dependent. Subsidies are available for those households under 400% poverty level (~$62,500/year). The costs are the same for all income levels over $62,500.

For myself and wife the first calculator gives $1715/month.
The second calculator gives $17,964/year = $1497/month.
I’ll be 64 and my wife 63 when I might need it in Dec 2014. In the mean time I’ll pay Cobra Costs of $853/month.

Also note for the family of two (same ages) with say $70,000/year income, it is the same $17,964/year and that represents 25.7% of their income.

That is preposterous. But these are only estimates at this time. I do hope it will improve with the vaulted competition of the exchanges.

Now a moderately poor family of two (ages in 60’s) with income of say $40,000/year, it is $3270/year (~8% of income) = $273/month. Good for them, they need it.
Now a poor family of two (ages in 60’s) with income of say $30,000/year, it is $1762/year (~6% of income) = $147/month. Good for them as well, they need it.

The big winners (the real “leeches and looters”) are the health care insurance companies (~30,000 more customers),the hospital conglomerates (less free emergency room treatment of indigents, and more paying customers), the pharmaceuticals (promises of no volume purchases from abroad), and fitness clubs (ObamaCare wellness programs cover monthly fees - more customers). All negotiated by Obama without an advocate for a single payer system like what works better internationally at 40% of the US costs/capita.

Now that’s our health care costs in 2007 well before ObamaCare. I somehow doubt ObamaCare will lower that, but I could be wrong.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: ObamaCare Costs

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 18, 2013 3:47 pm

For this you will surely be right: obamacare will not lower health costs. I'd bet the farm. The flaw, one of myriad, is that gummit seeks to serve its own interests, not that of the citizens; hence, obamacare is indeed about paying off constituencies including pharma, AMA, hospitals, along with the poverty and union lobbys.

Join a favored group and get gummit largess. Not in a favored group? Tough, "Stick 'em up, sucker."
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat May 18, 2013 4:50 pm

The problem with ObamaCare is that it is really RepublicanCare, the plan that Republicans tried to get passed back in the 90s (but suddenly developed a hatred of when Obama claimed it for his own).

Affordable health insurance for middle class families will not happen until America enacts a single payer system.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 am

And here is 's non-judgmental report, pre-Obama, on the duck penis study.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun May 19, 2013 2:03 pm

No Keith, the date of the article was Ducks, Geese Engage in Twisted Genital Evolutionary Arms Race

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

and the link it to the archive.org Wayback Machine copy, which may be much more recent. What evidence do you have that the 2007 date is a fabrication?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm

STILL don't think x number of Americans should devote their tax bill to that. Let the duck penii aficionados pay for it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby John Sneed » Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 pm

This is exactly what you all wanted.
John Sneed

Postby Haruo » Sun May 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun May 19, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby David Flick » Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 am

And David continues to show only 1997 - today, truncating 94% of data since 1750. Here is the BEST data long term (4 sources agree very well)

We are stuck on high as far as air temps go, CO2 now at 400ppm, Arctic Sea Ice wasting away as are glaciers at this high air temp. And the ocean temps continue to rise as does the sea level.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah, get back with us when temps soar beyond '97. The globe ain't warming.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Last edited by ET on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Postby Sandy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Sandy

Postby ET » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am

ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Anecdotal stories ET.

Looking at overall cost/quality metrics, the . Peruse some of these.

Truth is improve quality and lower costs. It just does not fit your ideology.

The fact that single payer systems were not allowed to compete at the Obama Health Care conferences I would think would bother one who says competition will sort out the best approaches.

Your humble “do-gooder”, who knows of at least that provide more health care results for about 1/2 the cost.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 pm

ET

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues