[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up

Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Gun crime has plunged, but Americans think it's up

Postby KeithE » Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 am

Spectacular mass shootings which point out how vulnerable we are, regardless of the statistics, always have an effect on public opinion.

The figures linking background checks and the decline of the murder rate is probably the best evidence there is for universal background checks. It's not a matter of infringement on the second amendment, nor is it a partisan issue, since most of the gun control legislation on the federal books now has Ronald Reagan's signature on it. How quickly we forget.

As far as I know, and have read, that's all that is on the table. Yes, it does interfere with the profits of gun sellers and manufacturers, who will not have as large of a market when criminals and terrorists are prevented from purchase, but it does, obviously, make the public at large safer. There is no plan to take away any citizens rightful gun ownership rights, there never has been, and there never will be. The credibility of the NRA and the few people left, mainly gun manufacturers and sellers, who are shrieking and screaming a stream of lies and exaggerations, has been permanently dented and hopefully the loss of credibility will give the President a house and senate he can work with.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 am

I rather think that recent political events have not demonstrated any loss of street cred for the NRA and allies.

Check with Democrat Harry Reid on that, among others.

Nice graphs, Keith.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm familiar William with that bit of southern humor. Normally It wouldn't bother me. But when it is made in a public national speech by a guy who is now a President of an national organization that promotes guns and our President is our first Black President.... Let's just say it sounded bad to anyone who isn't from the south who might have recently watched "Lincoln." :o
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Regarding the "war of Northern aggression":
I have a friend who is very well read and knowledgeable about the Civil War, who complains he can't seem to get any traction for his proposal to make John Wilkes Booth's birthday a national holiday. I think he's quite serious about the idea.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 am

You might be finding the causation where you desire to find it. A simpler explanation, if there is one that can be nailed down, might be that baby boomers are much older and aren't as testosterone-fueled and killing less people.

I am satisfied, graphs or no graphs, that there is a cadre of folks who desire to remove guns from the hands of private citizens and that this crowd will manufacture reasons to make this politically possible, the constitution be doggoned.

I am not alone in this. I know people in the gun business locally and they cannot find enough ammo to sell to the folks who desire to stock up. I tell them they should send Obama a nice note thanking him for the wildly increased sales of guns and ammo.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

I don't know how you come to that conclusion William. Everything I have seen has been about background checks, large capacity magazines, and assault weapons. How does that add up to anyone wanting to take away everyone's guns? That is the fallacy of reductio ad absurdum.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 10, 2013 1:33 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Mother's Demand Action

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Google the Mothers site. Read Bill Leonard at abpnews.com' Garry Wills at nybooks.com on Gun God Moloch; and see Sheriffs Association of Alabama site.

The NRA leadership is a cauldron of evildoers, just like the Leadership of the fundamentalist takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Also follow Baptist Joe Scarborough, Bama Grad on Morning Joe. He has been testifying for a month and counting now.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm