[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Obama fibs on sequester

Obama fibs on sequester

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Obama fibs on sequester

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Obama fibs on sequester

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 am

No comment from the "Bush lied/people died" section of BL?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 am

Woodward's opinion doesn't square with the facts.
http://www.democraticwhip.gov/content/n ... uestration

Go check the votes to see who supported the sequester. The deal that was passed was the one tweaked by Republicans, not the President, and it would not have passed without Republican support. Who's responsible? Seems like the main brainchild was Mitch McConnell, no surprise there. The GOP probably also needs to check the polls and see what the voters think, because they are about 2 to 1 blaming them which could pose a problem in 2014, as if they didn't already have a major one.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 am

Seems there is plenty of blame to go around as one more effort "to kick the can down the road" again. They don't talk to each other about the needs of the country. Both parties just preach to their political base. My Congressman has sent three emails in three days blaming everybody but himself and lamenting how it will hurt this congressional district. He has not once mentioned that he voted for it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Well, with Rand Paul, kooky Mike Kelly from PA, and now Boehner running around saying the sequester will be a good thing because it is cutting spending, it's hard to blame Obama for being at the root cause of it, especially when the legislation was drafted in the House by Paul Ryan.

Here's another interesting figure. The deficit is shrinking faster than it has at any time in modern history, down by half of what it was when Obama took office. Don't believe me? Take a look at Rachel Maddow's show on Feb. 26. She documents it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

The "half" of which she was speaking was the amount that the deficit has been reduced as a percentage of the GNP. Government spending has shrunk faster than the GNP has grown, which is the balance that needs to be achieved, and why the GOP's flat spending cuts are disproportional, and damaging to the economy.

I'm betting that there will be some GOP house members who cut and run as the sequester approaches. While I do believe there are some Republicans who really don't care whether the economy gets better or job losses will occur, because their only agenda is to make sure the corporate wealth keeps pouring into their pockets, and that the wealthy do not have to bear their fare share of the cost of providing government services, there are enough of them who are war hawks who will not let the Defense Department budget, which is the biggest, fat loaded, pork barrel in the whole government enterprise, lose money. And I think they would sell their grandmother as a slave to get that to happen, so they'll approve the President's revenue generating proposal of cutting corporate subsidies. There will be 15-20 GOP congressman who will break ranks with Boehner and go along with the President.

I think that's going to be the way most of these issues get resolved. There are between 12 and 15 Republicans in the house who are in congressional districts that the won by 1% or less of the vote, of which enough can be persuaded to go along with the President on big issues lest their constituents vote them out the next time. It will probably require ousting Boehner, at some point, but I think that will happen down the road. After all the negative attention McCain and Graham brought on themselves and the party over the Hagel nomination, there were enough Republicans who broke ranks to end the filibuster and vote him in, but not until after major political damage was done to the party.
Sandy

New twist

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 am

Read carefully. Power corrupts - will we ever have an honorable President?
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: New twist

Postby William Thornton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:15 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: New twist

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Thornton gets this one wrong

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Straining at a gnat

From David Brooks to Norm Ornstein Worse than it looks to the book The Servant Economy; no ifs and or butts. Its the insolent tea party that is to blame for this mess.

And the SBC is a lot to blame for how we got here.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Marcie Foster, Circuit Clerk Cherokee County

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Dr Thornton, you and others may want to check this public facebook wall and see how sequestration is playing in the Tea Party heartland. I am hoping ethicsdaily.com's Colin Harris will joing Bush 43 atty General who visits the region on occasion may join this heartland sequestration chat.

Stephen Fox

Marcie

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MarcieFoster ... ment_reply

I think Marcie is a grad of Samford'sLaw school, an alma mater she shares with Billy Graham's grandson Steven Tchvidjian.

Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues