[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Religious Freedom

Religious Freedom

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Religious Freedom

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby James » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

“No one set of values should dominate the country.”

Bruce did not make this statement. The pollsters did. I disagree with the statement, but firmly believe that to adopt any religious standard as the norm would be a mistake because every religion practiced in the United States would propose a different standard. This thread proves that even Baptists disagree on what the standard should be.

So, here are a few observations about the state of religious freedom in this country.

As too the influence of conservative religion on secular life.

As a highschool senior, I participated in a mandatory school assembly in which Chester Swor, a well known Southern Baptist evangelist preached a "come to Jesus" revival sermon and, after the sermon, he asked for professions of faith. He got several raised hands. My Jewish friends were either amused or offended, but kept their mouths shut in defference to the overwhelming influence of Baptists in the city of Atlanta.

As a Home Mission Board summer missionary to East St. Louis, IL, my major duty was to teach is vacation Bible schools in the association. At one school, heavily attended by children of non-church members, the preacher preached at the graduation ceremony. I will never forget his performance. He looked the 3 and 4 year old kids filling the first three pews and told them that if they did not make a profession of faith this night and died on the way home, they would go to HELL for eternity. Only this and one other time have I ever been ashamed to be a Christian. I do not know what I could have done to stop this nonsense but I should have tried something.

ET suggests that there is no evidence that consevative Christianity is influencing public life. I disagree.

When Terri Shiavo layed brain dead on life support, conservative Christians and their allies in Congress tried to rush through a special act to put her fate in the hands of Congress.

In 2004 the Texas GOP adopted a platform which "affirmed the status of the United States as a Christian nation, regretted the Myth of the separation of church and state." (Philips, American Theocracyp 233)

Oct 2004, Dover, PA school board bans teaching evolution.

If you want more read American Theocracy by Kevin Philips, a life long republican and one time GOP power broker.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby ET » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

ET: If I work for your company, and you the owner demand that I live/act/or even believe according to your religious faith in order to maintain my employment with you, you are guilty of violating my religious liberty.

Period.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

ET

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 am

ET

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

ET

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm

The problem Hobby Lobby's owners are encountering is that, in order to receive all of the government tax breaks, loopholes and allowances to which they are entitled, they must be in compliance with government regulations related to the various laws and acts regarding employment opportunity. They are free to operate their business as they choose, and to pay for or not pay for whatever they choose. But since they've opted to receive the tax abatements, benefits, allowances, loopholes and other means of increasing their profit margin that are allowed under equal employment, they must abide by government regulations that require them to treat their employees equally, including showing no discrimination based on religious preference. They can opt not to provide their employees with any benefits if they choose, though they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face in terms of being able to keep reliable workers. But what it sounds like is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. They've taken the benefits and government entitlements, and made a fortune. They need to be responsible enough to honor the law that allows them to do this.

That's not tyranny.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm surprised this argument is still going on, and that ET is taking the side he is taking. (Well, I'm not really surprised ET doesn't believe in religious freedom all that much.)

Bruce has been completely clear and accurate as to what the rights are of citizens of this nation, and they don't include forcing your religious preferences on another.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 am

ET's position is a great example of how average, middle class Americans have been convinced that supporting everything that benefits the wealthiest 1% will somehow lift the economy because they are the "job creaters" and any government regulation is a deterrent to their prosperity. Of course, there is absolutely no factual information to support that, in fact, the data and history flies in the very face of it, but they are insulated inside their own media bubble and the response you get can be lifted from those pages. Most of those who push this idea still actually believe that the President's birth certificate is forged because they've seen the true evidence on YouTube.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 am

Besides Bruce’s Sunday Mail article, Big Daddy has an excellent article at the BHH&S site about the “contraception” insurance war.

He points out the true motivation is not religious liberty being infringed (geez no one is being forced to buy contraception), but the agenda is to limit contraceptives. I have never realized that any Baptist body has ever outlawed contraception like Catholics and Mormons do. I guess it could be a recent SBC edict from Al Mohler that I’m unaware of, but unless it has already been Baptist dogma, the real reason to bring it up now is anti-Obama rhetoric and grandstanding along with a large share of self-righteous martrydumb.

And if all “gummint” acts that crossed someone’s moral line were to be outlawed, there would be little the gummint could undertake - e.g. no Dept of Offense funding.

Because contraceptives can be used for abortion, it must be banned (these conservatives say). But for the most part, these conservatives want their guns available (ignoring they can be used for murder, suicide, theft,...). Go figure.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,