[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Debt Ceiling

Debt Ceiling

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Debt Ceiling

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Economists are nearly in complete agreement that the debt ceiling "creates unneeded uncertainty and can potentially lead to worse fiscal outcomes.” Guess that is what the Republicans wants.

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Debt Ceiling

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:13 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:00 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 am

William,

The debt ceiling issue lies at the feet of congress and congress alone. They passed the bills which required the spending. Then they return and want to argue over if they should the authorize the payment of the bills they have incurred for money they already spent. It is foolish. It is like me running up my credit card and arguing that I'm going to refuse to pay what I owe because I want to blame the debt I've racked up on someone else.

The Republicans never argued with G.W. Bush about the debt ceiling or the tremendous debt that was run up during his Presidency even though it wiped out the previous budget surplus because he was their President. This has nothing to do with debt and everything to do with partisanship.

The President called it right when he said that the full faith and credit of the United States is not a bargaining chip. That is, unless you really don't care about what happens to the country you are supposed to be representing.

Frankly the debt ceiling vote should be eliminated so that when congress votes to spend money they are also voting that after the money is spent that they will pay their bills.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Come on Rocket Scientist, how much of a trillion dollar deficit is $14.4 billion? Use your calculator if necessary. The big money is...where?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Last edited by ET on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 am

Hmmmm....you may have missed a rather large class of expenditures.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 am

Notice that the topic has drifted away from the debt ceiling?

The President has refused to allow the full faith and credit of the US to be used as a football for Republican brinksmanship so they are going to back off for at least three months. Why? Because now everyone knows that the debt ceiling isn't about new expenditures, it is about congress paying for what congress already voted to spend and in many cases is already spending or has spent. It is a ludicrous lie of tremendous proportion to claim it is anything other than what it is. How can anyone defend congress not paying its bills? How can anyone defend the notion that after you vote to spend the money you then have to come back again and vote to pay the bill?

The debt ceiling vote needs to be eliminated. It makes the US and congress look like one big joke.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 pm

ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 am

Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues