[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Don’t Despair Conservatives

Don’t Despair Conservatives

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Don’t Despair Conservatives

Postby KeithE » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Don’t Despair Conservatives

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

No despair here. The pendulum swings.

As for the election of Obama by folks who want to work? What a trite broad generalization.

...where's my Obamaphone?
...you can have my food stamps when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of them in the grocery store line.
...where's my birth control pills?
...I'm going to get me a lawyer and get myself on disability while the doors are wide open with Obama.
...What? I can't drill for oil there anymore?

OK, Obama has another four years. Let's see how it goes, although I bet that after eight years and an economy still in the tank, Dems will easily figure out a way to blame this on Bush or the Republicans.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I didn't know there were any food stamps anymore, I thought it was all EBT. It is around here, I'm pretty sure.

Keith, thanks for explaining "Obamaphone" which had me and the Mrs. shaking our heads in incomprehension.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:59 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I have just ended a session on the tube with Fox News (America's Newsroom) (Fair and balanced).

It is obvious to me that the Fox folks are hard at work on their new aim in life: To do or say or promote anything that will guarantee that Obama will not get a third term in the White House. (i.e., Nothing has changed.)
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:28 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 pm

William you are just sounding like a broken record. Your "redistributionist" line just rings hollow and it is just tired and old.

What do you think Republican governments do with our tax money? Do you think they take it and send it back to each of us equal to what we paid? Of course not! The difference is the priorities on how the money is spent. Republicans "redistribute" your tax money just as much as any other party.

So where was Mitt Romney going to distribute the money? Well he was going to send billions to the military that they didn't ask for. He was going to push further tax breaks for the wealthy.

You and I are both going to pay taxes. The question is who do you want those taxes to benefit? I voted for them to benefit the poor and the middle class. I'm not sure exactly what you were voting for because I've yet to see a good argument from you for why you voted for Romney.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am

I yield to my friends, the Redistributionist BaptistLife Triumvirate.

ET and myself, with occasional assistance from Ed P, will remain the out-of-power reps for personal responsibility.

I can promise the RT this, I will not offer the GOP equivalent of what we saw here from 2000-2008, the visceral ihatebush forum, of which we still get an occasional retro reminder.

Cheers.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Ed: And Tim when you say [quote] Take a look here http://costofwar.com/ and you will see that the cost of our wars since 2001 is approaching 1.4 Trillion dollars. Yep, 1.4 Trillion. As in $1,400,000,000,000. It dwarfs any expenditure of the US government. And none of that expenditure fed, clothed, educated, or helped a single US citizen.{/quote]

That last statement is incorrect Some of that money does go to house, feed and cloth the troops and to a large extent their dependents. Our grandson who died recently daughter's education will pretty much be covered by his military insurance. I know of churches ABC-USA, SBC. and CBF as well as Methodist and others that serve and are supported largely by military personnel and the civilian work force that supports nearby bases.
His brother who is a helicopter mechanic in the marines is a acquiring knowledge and skills that should assure him of a decent civilian job.
Many other US citizens live quite well working in industries that produce the goods and material for combat the cost of which make up the figures you provide. Now if you want to argue that too much of the total is the over pricing of goods and services I will agree. But i am persuaded that Our economy ( all other factors being as they have been) would be worse than it is, had it not been for the recent wars.

And there are US citizens pouring tons of money in to electronics made elsewhere. Trudy and I where in a LARGE mall to-day and the only stores that where really busy where the Cell Phone retailers and Computer stores.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Keith,

Thanks for laying that out so completely! You made the argument in a far more detailed way than I would have.

Ed, those soldiers who are receiving a portion of that 1.4T for the most part wouldn't need it if they were at home with their family. And yes, I know, there are career military. But we've sent a lot of men and women there from the reserves that normally are working at other things. What we are feeding primarily is the war machine. And that machine, when over fed, takes food out of the mouths of the poor and needy.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 am

Dang, a tsunami of graphs and charts from Keith, who never met a graph or chart he agreed with that he wasn't willing to use.

For a discussion of such things, how about the Washington Post, . Stimulus the salvation of America? Maybe so, maybe not, who knows? To read Keith's graphfest, 93% of economists say 'yes', meaning...not a whole lot.

Economists are an odd bunch and should be trusted at the same level we trust lawyers. Assumptions, presumption, and funky models enable any result to be achieved. Economics was not labeled "the dismal science" by Thomas Carlyle for nothing way back when.

I asked way back in this topic if my lib friend would simply acknowledge that Obama is deficit king. He is, though the acknowledgment never came. Graph that. Include excuses and caveats if you wish. Explain how he saved the galaxy by being deficit king if you wish. Toss in the usual schtick about evil rich folks if necessary.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues