[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Reagan, Clinton, 'Shrub', Obama and "fair share"

Reagan, Clinton, 'Shrub', Obama and "fair share"

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Reagan, Clinton, 'Shrub', Obama and "fair share"

Postby ET » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: Reagan, Clinton, 'Shrub', Obama and "fair share"

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:08 pm

So since some of "the rich" famously pay next to nothing, for the average to be so high some of the other "rich" must be getting seriously gouged.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm

The "share" of tax paid by the rich in those statistical analyses are calculated based on the tax table and the census demographics. It does not reflect the actual tax paid by those in any specific income bracket, only the estimated tax they were scheduled to pay. It does not account for loopholes or percentages of income paid in taxes for those who utilized them, such as Mitt Romney earning $200 million and paying a middle class tax rate of 15%.

I'd be fine with leaving the tax rates and income levels where they are right now, and simply eliminating the exemptions, shelters and loopholes. If your income is $200 million, and the tax table says your tax rate is 34%, then you pay %68 million in tax, not $30 million.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm

ET, facts will get you nowhere on this forum but a bunch of neat graphs might land you a trophy.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Truth is a hard thing to get ahold of sometimes when you only listen to those who agree with you.

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Timothy, I think you've set a record for the longest link I've ever seen on these pages. Congratulations!
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Ed if you watched an Fox news the night of the election you'd not think too much cherry picking was going on. Rove and company looked like they'd dropped into an alternate universe. He was so convinced by their "unscued" polls (as in they tinkered with the polls when they didn't like the numbers) that he about had a meltdown when Ohio went Obama as if it was just beyond belief.

I've not said that Obama has a "mandate." He got elected. He took a very convincing number of electoral votes which tells me he did a really good job in the swing states of getting the vote he needed.

The wild thing is that Tea Party types are saying that if Romney had been more conservative he might have won. They just don't get it that it is moderate candidates that take the day not far left or far right candidates. Romney's cow-towing to the Tea Party is what lost him the election.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Ed: Tim, I don't even know what channel Fox "Propaganda" News is on over here.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:05 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:16 pm

ET

Postby ET » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:38 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:41 pm

ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 am

Here is a link with several charts which provide a somewhat more clear picture. Look at # 8
in particular. I think it tells the story most fully.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 am

The problem that you find here, ET, is not represented by any graphs or charts. It is the concept of what is "fair." Some of my mod/lib friends would be positively gleeful if our gummit would use guns and force to impose their idea of fairness on the rest of us.

A better starting place would be for the redistributionists here to go ahead and tell us the following:

What percentage of income should be paid in income taxes? Max?
How much wealth is "too much" to the end that it should be taken away?
Is wealth acquired by legal means other than compensation for labor somehow illegitimate and therefore should be subject to greater confiscation rates by gummit than that earned in compensation?
The income tax system is already progressive. How much more progressive should it be?

Keith, for example, favors the government confiscating any income for company heads that is greater than a certain multiple of that company's lowest paid employee. He has not said but if this principle is valid, why should it only be applied to CEOs? Why should A Rod be paid so much more than the ball boy who shines his shoes or the janitor who cleans up the dugout after games, or, highly paid scientists more than the clerical employees who arrange their travel schedules? But why keep this within a single company? If fairness is the goal, why should a teacher be paid $40,000, a policeman $30,000, but a mid-level manager who sells colored sugar water $100,000? Should not someone impose a fairer system so that we could all feel better?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:50 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Hehe....I noticed Keith picked up that chart referencing the 1997 levels. Conveniently, he didn't post the subsequent chart:

ET

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues