[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - I struck a blow for Truth, Justice, and the American Way...

I struck a blow for Truth, Justice, and the American Way...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

I struck a blow for Truth, Justice, and the American Way...

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I voted for My Favorite Mormon presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, the second time I've done so. The 2008 Georgia primary was the first time.

All this folderol about voting for a member of a cult, advancing the agenda of a false gospel, and the like is just so much high-minded Baptist hot air. Very, very few Southern Baptists who have expressed such concern about a Mormon president will end up not marking or punching their ballot or touching their screen for Mitt Romney.

To tell you the truth, we look a little silly and somewhat hypocritical in the whole process.

Romney is a vastly superior presidential candidate. I am happy to vote for him.

God can take care of His Gospel and is not powerless even if the POTUS is a Mormon, or a Southern Baptist.

Obama doesn't have much of any chance here in Georgia anyway, but I feel good about having voted for Romney. I'm still trying to atone for the insanity in voting for Jimmy Carter in 1976 when I was in a state of irrational exuberance over our home state candidate.

Go thou and do likewise.

[...and one of my mod/lib Obamaphile, redistributionist friends here can consider their vote fully cancelled out, :lol: , and we need at least one photo of Mitt to grace the forum here...happy to oblige]
Attachments
images[4].jpg
images[4].jpg (7.12 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: I struck a blow for Truth, Justice, and the American Way...

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm voting on election day myself. I'm not a big fan of the "early voting" craze. I liked the idea of all Americans voting on the same day. Maybe that makes me old fashioned. But I'm going to stick it out.

BTW William, you voted for a "redistributionist" too. Romney is just a reverse Robin Hood, take from the poor and give tax breaks to the rich. I hope it works out for you. But unless you made a whole lot more money than this Methodist preacher makes you voted against your own best interest.

Oh and since GA was going red anyway you didn't cancel out the vote of this blue state Iowan. :wink: Remember popular vote isn't what counts.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Ah, leave it to a liberal Methodist to decide what is in MY best interest. That fairly well sums up the problems with political liberals: they know what is best for the rest of us.

Happy electioneering bro...we can still be friends.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Sez William: "That fairly well sums up the problems with political liberals: they know what is best for the rest of us."

This quote followed William's recital of why he voted for the Mormon Candidate, good ol' what's-his-name.

I, too, once thought Romney was not a bad candidate, although his religious choice, dumped on him in childhood by his "successful" daddy, was still maintained when he grew to the age of accountability (whatever that is!) And Mitt obeyed all the "rules and regulations" of his adopted faith as he maintained the role of bishop/counselor in advising those who came to him for help in grievously painful circumstances. (Political expediency has modified those same precepts.)

One factor has continued to spoil my willingness to semi-approve Romney as the Prez. His continued self-adulation and self-promotion as a successful businessman is not in the same neighborhood of middle-class, or even upper-class, business people.

Mitt has never produced anything that could be sold to the public. Instead, he started out with $millions, and manipulated other people's investments until his own millions increased twenty-fold (or more). Promoted as the provider of "universal health-care" as the governor of Massachusetts while balancing the budget, one recent description of the matter revealed that he did it with 400 million bucks of U.S. government tax-payers' funds. His praise for "saving" the Olympics, when it was targetted for failure at the hands of its Utah (Mormon?) backers, had US taxpayer's help to the tune of 1.3 billion dollars. (With 2400 athletes participating, that makes the "investment" at something like $55,000 per athlete.)

Romney's manipulation of OPM (Other People's Money) does not offer assurance of his secretive methods for abolishing our nation's financial problems.

William already knew all these matters, but he denigrates political liberals who act as if they know what is best for the rest of us.

IMO
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Does all this means that Superman (William) tripped over his small building at a single bound? :)
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Dave gets a gold star (or an extra ration of Metamucil) for recognizing the source of the title phrase.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm having trouble with my camera- could someone please come up with a photo of a gritty glass of slug-slime for the "Extra dose of Metamucil" award? :lol:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 am

With Romney, William is 0 for 3. Little truth, no justice and certainly not the American Way of even semi-equal opportunity
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 am

Actually, William, due to the electoral college, your voted isn't cancelled out by anyone here unless one of your "redistributionist" friends is in Georgia.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 am

And Rocky is not a "fringe candidate". As a former mayor of Salt Lake City, surely he is in some ways closer to the Mormon center than Romney ever will be this side of Adam ondi Ahman.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tom Parker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Tim:

You said:"The thing is William I'm not a "liberal Methodist." I'm pretty much a middle of the road United Methodist. It is just that everyone looks liberal from the SBC vantage point. :wink: "

I also have always thought of myself as a conservative Southern Baptist, but I do "look" like a liberal from the hard right, only one way, intractable view of many in the SBC.

But such is life.
Tom Parker

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm

William sez: "Waall, Old Hal, Timothy did say I was voting against my own best interest, concluding that he knows what is my best interest. I certainly have no hesitation in denigrating that."

Oldad wonders: Is it legitimate for William to question Tim Bonney's response to his politics, then make Tim's view (as William sees it) as emblematic of ALL "political liberals"?

Elementary philosophy teaches us to to identify logical fallacies . . .(as "If some A is B, and some B is C, then all A is C."

Here's my own example of fallacious reasoning: I've never had a verbal encounter on a political issue without each of us trying to show our predominant, prevailing, advantageous, preferable, and superior point of view. (Obviously, William and I agree on our modus operandi.)
Hal Eaton

Postby Tom Parker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Tim:

You said to me:"So really words like "liberal" and "conservative" are pretty useless descriptors.
Tim Bonney"

I agree but if you are called by God to pastor a church in the Southern Baptist Convention, to be labeled or described as "liberal" is the kiss of death.

And I'm not trying to be dramatic. :(
Tom Parker

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 am

Tim sez: Yes, that may be true Tom. But the SBC isn't the only game in town, not even the only Baptist game in town.

Oldad replies: ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (Liberal is a nice word.)
Hal Eaton

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues