[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Religious politicking.

Religious politicking.

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Religious politicking.

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 am

Yesterday we went over south of Atlanta to attend the . My mother-in-law (82 and fading) from San Diego (who is staying with us for 6 weeks) wanted to go there because she had read a book by their minister Benny Tate. It is not UMC but a of which Benny is President. You could say the CMC is Wesleyan, conservative and congregational in polity.

Timothy, you probably would not like this brand of Methodism. But true Baptists should at least approve of it’s polity.

The Rock Springs Church is classical mega church with half the hour-long service being praise songs, words on the screen, 1/4 announcements and 1/4 vigorous preaching. I liked and was challenged by Benny Tate’s preaching (on Matt 5:38-42 turning the other cheek which he translated more into a message about always doing your best) and I was impressed with their programs.

I was not impressed that they promoted a Voter Registration in the lobby and from the pulpit being a careful to only say 'this next election is the most important election ever'. But I kept my ear open near that Voter Registration booth in the lobby before the service and their was a whole lot of Obama bashing going on among those in line. And they promoted the American Patriots Bible in their bookstore. I sense perhaps inaccurately that a lot of enthusiasm comes from politics. Oh and there was not a black person in the audience of well over 1000.

A little googling I see where and I sure whatever he calls for in private rubs off on his congregation. Listen to the end of his speech where he get applause for saying “Thank God for Jimmy Carter, he led to Reagan”; and “Thank God for Barack Obama, he will lead to Herman Cain”. All of this before of course Cain’s sexual behavior got revealed.

Would that God’s people believed in Matt 5:38-42.

The Republicans are playing conservative religion like a fiddle.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Religious politicking.

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 am

After checking the web site, I think I have some relatives who attend Rock Springs. Not my cup of tea from what I've heard. Thanks for another take on it, Keith.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Re: Religious politicking.

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

After Cain went down, Benny apparently took up Newt. Listen to to the Rock Springs Academy promoting Newt. Gave credit to all of Clinton’s good times to Newt. And sounded much like David Barton.

I can honestly say I did not see any Romney signs anywhere at Rock Springs. Bridge too far to go Mormon, I suppose.

Thus is Georgia politics, I feel for you Neil. Of course AL is about the same. We just do not have the names.

WWJVF?
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues