[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Ban SOCE

Ban SOCE

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Ban SOCE

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:41 am

Should a parent be allowed to try to change his (pre-emancipation) child's sexual orientation.??

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08 ... s-through/

On the other hand, should a parent be allowed to change his child's left-handedness. After all, being a switch-hitter makes you more valuable in the baseball draft! :)

Should a parent be allowed to change a child's religious preference?
Where do parental rights stop (if anywhere)?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Ban SOCE

Postby Haruo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 am

So would parents be barred from attempting to assist their child in the child's expressed desire to change his or her own sexual orientation, or would it only apply if the attempt to help was contrary to the child's wishes?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:55 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 pm

What's next? Re-education camps for girls who are allergic to pink tutus and ballet shoes and would rather work on cars or build furniture than play Barbies? :(
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Ed: Haruo what does the anecdote about: the "counselor" and the pastor who talked some of you into building and office, that was never subsequently used by the "counselor", have to with the price of tea in China or with SCOR?

With the one in your anecdote: his having married a former client would have been a GIANT red flag for me. Probably enough to have been a deal breaker between myself and that group , possibly the Church when they went ahead and squandered money on the office.

Since A part of my task a member of our Regional Enhancement teams is to recommend supply preachers for churches under my watch, and most of our list are former pastors I would appreciate it if you would see fit to give me this individuals name via E-mail between now and the 30th when I expect to return from Missouri.

And when you sat "I have no idea what percentage of his practice involves minor boys. I'm guessing some of it does, and that for me his self-reported history would raise red flags if I were a parent of such." Am I save to assume when you speak of "his practice" you are talking about David Pickup and if so are you intimating that he was the "counselor" you encountered?

And Haruo when you say "As far as 'breeder' goes, I put it in parentheses because I wasn't too concerned about which definition of the two in the Urban Dictionary the reader chose.

In in the context of your post I would call either an un-waranted biasing device.

And Shoot I cold nit pick you non response on the "coy" question if nit picking was my intent. But I still have to Finnish packing. But I thought you may have been referring to Pickup's many sexual encounters with other males but claiming not to have actually been a Homosexual, prior to his change of heart.
But then I know nothing about the accuracy of the report.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 am

I haven't identified the counselor, in part, because I don't recall his name. I would probably recognize it if I heard it again, but I am glad not to have heard anything about him for several years. I'm not sure whom and in what sense you think I am clumsily "blacklisting".

You wrote, "I know far too little about SOCE to even guess why Pickup's having not identified as a Homosexual seems to pose no problem for them." Who is "them"? SOCE is not a group of people, nor a company or organization or other entity. It's a category of treatment. Oh, I see, you meant NARTH. For all I know they never heard of him. Just because (assuming he's telling the truth) he sent in dues for several years doesn't mean the organization he tithed to necessarily ever looked at his credentials, let alone his own self-explanatory anecdotes.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 am

I'm not doubting you, Ed. I'm not necessarily doubting Pickup's testimony, either. And I don't know enough about the therapy in question to really have an opinion on it. All I was going on was what FOX said about him, and I should know better than to take that source as reliable.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Hal Eaton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 am

Reading these remarks leaves me uncommitted to either extreme. But this line is more revelatory than most:
"David underwent extensive training in Reparative Therapy for three years underneath the direction of Dr. Nicolosi at Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic in Encino, California."

Thomas Aquinas? Psychology? That juxtaposition is worrisome . . . (IMO)
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Indeed, a non-stochastic scholastic with uncanonical notions concerning the animation of the embryo...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:31 am

Neil: Look it up! (but get a b=i=i=i=g dictionary!) Ain't words wonderful?
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm

My comment was so profound that if Rep. Akin is looking for something else to step in he could use my vocabulary. ;-) Thanks, David and Neal and Hal...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:39 pm

If Rep. Akin were reading this he'd be worried about the nuances of the word "juxtaposition." It sounds vaguely like something Planned Parenthood might tell you about. :wink: :D
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues