[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Great Polarisation

The Great Polarisation

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: The Great Polarisation

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Matto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 am

Matto

Postby ET » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Last edited by ET on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Matto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Matto

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Matto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Matto

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Let's see....how much am I taxed?

Social Security 15.3% (since ministers are self-employed)
Federal Income Tax 10%
State Income Tax 6%
Real and Personal Property Taxes 4%
State Sales Tax, Gas Taxes, Utility Taxes 7%

That's 42.3%, and I don't get half the benefits of Sweeden. I think we've been robbed.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am

I see Dave. So more calculation when into your percentages than I was seeing. Sorry, I've seen a lot of fuzzy tax math over the years.

I agree with you that we should get more from our money. But also we ought to look at those expenses that we aren't paying as tax that we'd actually be better off if we did. For example, the insurance costs that my church and all UMC churches pay is a limiting factor on employment. Churches which would have more staff or churches that would have a full time pastor now don't because insuring just the pastor is up around $12,000 per year now. I remember when $4,000 would insure me and my entire family. But I'm paying an additional $4,000 for my wife and daughter. I believe if we had a single payer system that healthcare would be much less expensive in the long run. But many Americans are so adverse to giving the money to the government that they would rather insurances companies charge them much more rather than paying the money in taxes for healthcare.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Matto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 am

A sobering poem on abortion that Spike Milligan penned.

Somewhere at some time
They committed themselves to me
And so, I was!
Small, but I WAS!
Tiny, in shape
Lusting to live
I hung in my pulsing cave.
Soon they knew of me
My mother —my father.
I had no say in my being
I lived on trust
And love
Tho' I couldn't think
Each part of me was saying
A silent 'Wait for me
I will bring you love!'
I was taken
Blind, naked, defenseless
By the hand of one
Whose good name
Was graven on a brass plate
in Wimpole Street,
and dropped on the sterile floor
of a foot operated plastic waste
bucket.
There was no Queens Counsel
To take my brief.
The cot I might have warmed
Stood in Harrod's shop window.
When my passing was told
My father smiled.
No grief filled my empty space.
My death was celebrated
With tickets to see Danny la Rue
Who was pretending to be a woman
Like my mother was.
Matto

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Ed: Matto that Poem starts with a misconception (pun intended) when it says;
Somewhere at some time
They committed themselves to me
And so, I was!

No! tiny one there was no commitment to you.
Ed Pettibone

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues