[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - America's New Religion

America's New Religion

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

America's New Religion

Postby Sandy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

Sandy

Re: America's New Religion

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm

How many evangelicals voting for Trump is not a real problem to me. The choices were bad, either way. Both candidates carried major ethical baggage. To vote a write in or for someone who had no chance was a vote, basically, for Hillary. That was as unacceptable to them as voting for a Trump is to you.

The part of the article you quote has its merits but it’s one persons opinion and labeling something they don’t like as a cult. Yet, the focus on religion and the disdain for anyone who sees the USA differently is noticeable.

I can see why you agree.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm

The religious right once claimed that the character of the candidate was the most important aspect of their candidacy. That was, of course, when Bill Clinton was running and it was easy to say. Perhaps the leadership that kept that theme up and running for so long didn't succeed in convincing the rest of their following that such a position needed to be consistent, or they didn't envision that the Republican party could ever let things get out of hand and nominate a candidate who, in every possible way, was worse than they accused Clinton of being. Though in defense of the hypocrisy that is demonstrated by their support they have trotted out the "both candidates were just as bad" mantra, that is a matter of opinion, and not provable fact.

But that's really not the point here. The point is that we have a branch of American Christianity exhibiting some characteristics when it comes to their perceived "worldview" that are not consistent with their own core beliefs. They are putting trust and faith in politics and in politicians to accomplish what they claim is God's to accomplish. For all intents and purposes, they are now closely identified with a right wing political perspective that is noticeably inconsistent with much of the Biblical foundation of Christian teaching, relying on a couple of points to justify a Machiavellian soup of heresy. The church membership and attendance is dwindling because more effort and resources go into making Republicans than making disciples.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 am

One of the interesting things to me in all this is the charge that Hillary carried a lot of "ethical baggage." It seems that what she carried was Bill, he was her baggage in the ethical department, so she was judged often on his character, not her own. Show me, if I am wrong. If this is true, then we judged her based on her mate's ethics.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 am

I am fascinated by the inconsistency of the server and email charges by Republicans. I agree that she was wrong, but you can't demand Hillary's prosecution without also demanding the same for Colin Powell and Condi Rice who admitted to having done the same thing. If the servers were the real issue, all three would have been in the dock. You can't blame one and not the other two and claim the concern is security.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 am

Last edited by Sandy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 am

Funny how Trump's crowds cheered for Hillary, "Lock her up!" but never for Condi or General Powell. Guess they could be forgiven since they were Republican Secretaries of State.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Reminds me of a bad joke from the Nixon years. There was a prisoner who went to the prison library and asked the library manager, "Do you have All the President's Men?" The inmate managing the library responded, "No, I don't believe so, but they are arriving every day."

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:00 am

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:06 am

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 am

Well, actually the point was how Evangelicals have, through their political perspective and involvement, transitioned from being a spiritual-led, scripture guided faith to a political movement that has abandoned its Biblical values and spiritual leadership to gain its ends through political power. And your responses, Jon, prove the author's thesis perfectly.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:32 am

So tell Us Sandy... Wh would you have recommended those evangelicals who voted for and support Trump to have voted for?

And keeping your definition... how they could also have supported your choice?

Please describe the unblemished life of your candidate that we don't see?
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Sandy

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues