[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Why Evangelicals voted Trump

Why Evangelicals voted Trump

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Why Evangelicals voted Trump

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 pm

http://religiondispatches.org/fear-nost ... -john-fea/

May be the definitive answer to date

In tandem with the Atlantic Cover Story easy google for How Evangelicals Lost Their Way not many stones left unturned.

And Friday April 27, this: http://religiondispatches.org/maybe-its ... e-reality/
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Why Evangelicals voted Trump

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Great article you found here. I think a lot of people will be wondering about this for a long time. There's been a blending of the feeling of power that comes with the elevation to status of Prophet of some of the celebrity and teevee religion personalities that are self-appointed Evangelical leaders with the fantasyworld creation of extremist right wing media that keeps reality from creeping in that has caused Evangelicals to drift away from dependence on and faith in God to getting what they want by using worldly power. It is an apostacy of Biblical proportions.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:16 am

I think John Fea has some good insights (I like his stuff on the historical propagandist Barton) but any piece that purports to explain why 81% of "evangelicals" voted for Trump that has not one mention of Hilary loses a lot of credibility. I'm not impressed but maybe Fea dealt with that in his book. The article was a very limited interview.

Still, maybe this kind of stuff will persuade the dems to run Hil again. That would be a gift.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:07 am

Fea has been writing about this for close to two years now. I've been following his blog for several years and I've got his latest/upcoming book on pre-order and have read 3 of his other books so far ("Why Study History?", "Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?" (one of the 'anti-Barton' pieces William mentions) and "The Way of Improvement Leads Home"). I agree with much of what he writes about the folks for whom he coined the phrase "court evangelicals".

However, as William notes, I am still dubious of these columns attempting to explain why supposedly the "81% of (white) evangelicals" voted for Trump. I have had multiple conversations with family and friends on this issue. A few might be considered "supporters" of Trump. Most of the people I know just voted for him because either they considered not voting for him or voting for a third party to be a vote for Hillary or believe the only choice was the standard "lesser of two evils". Trump may be bad, but Hillary was worse. Some took the "we're voting for a politician, not a preacher" route to vote for him.

It seems like EVERY election cycle the media talk about the importance of capturing the (supposedly) important 'independents'. A candidate caters to their base in the primaries, then shifts more to the middle to win the independents and/or moderates in the general primary. I haven't seen nearly as much written about why enough of those folks voted for Trump to give him the victory over Hillary. I'd definitely like to see how many evangelicals would have had to abandon Trump for it to mean anything, but that would have to be computed on state-by-state basis.

Another tidbit - Fea dedicates his book to the "19%"...but if I recall, that 19% doesn't vote Republican anyway, so I'm not sure what merit they deserve for not voting for Trump. I think I shall pose a related question to Fea on his FB page.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 am

Last edited by Sandy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 am

To respond to Stephens thread title...

Because he was the best choice of the two candidates.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

More to think about, espeically in Bama

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm

With Rick Burgess, Baptist Church of the Highlands and their 14 campuses and the new lynching complex in Montgomery about which the NY Times did a spectacular job last week. I had friends present yesterday but didnt make it myself.

Keep an eye on Marshall County Bama Will Ainsworth, a prayed up slick version of a morphed George Wallace with Tim Tebow!!!

http://religiondispatches.org/maybe-its ... e-reality/

Stephen Fox

Helms, Criswell and Pressler gave us Trump in Six Steps

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 pm

What Mormon doctrine contrary to the Gospel was actually spouted at Liberty? I'm not clear on the details, and would like to be. Dallas ditto.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Sandy