[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Todd Starnes.. A former contributor???

Todd Starnes.. A former contributor???

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Todd Starnes.. A former contributor???

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 am

If I remember correctly, Todd Starnes used to post at bl.com.

Regardless, his comments on global warming are spot on.

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: Todd Starnes.. A former contributor???

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am

TS has done well with the outrage du jour genre. He is a clever writer who hit the *right* notes.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 am

What a great piece of conservative crap. No facts, full of citations of unrelated information, and a sharp, critical tongue that drips with derision for the straw man "liberal" enemy that it creates. Good, "rally the base" article. Todd is good at this sort of thing, which is why it's kind of surprising that he hasn't advanced any further up the Fox News chain. He doesn't sexually harass women, and he keeps his zipper up, which are obvious detriments to promotion at Fox.

Jon, maybe you can help me find those passages in scripture where name calling, derisive criticism and bending facts are laid out as values. According to you, it should be clear.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't much read Starnes stuff but old Sandy gives a cheapshot tour de force...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 am

Climate change is not universally accepted among many in the field of study...

The sky is falling... is the bl.com cry from too many (and even 1 would be too many).
Jon Estes

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 am

It's amazing how the mere mention of climate change gets the posts moving quickly. It's really just one more example of political polarization, a required point that must be bought into, not because facts support it, but because it fits with the political agenda of those who want to make everything fit into "liberal" or "conservative" categories. Acceptance of global warming as fact, and the intertia of resources and actions being taken in a positive direction to reduce greenhouse gasses and work toward solutions to prevent further damage, and to resolve what can be fixed has such widespread, global support, that the little, reactionary faction in the US doesn't have the power to stop it. It's really not a "liberal" vs "conservative" issue anyway. Among the science teachers and professors I know who are evangelical Christians, and I know quite a few, I can't think of one that is a global warming denialist, and several of them are actively involved with Christian groups that promote stewardship of the earth as a position derived from a Biblical worldview.

As far as Todd Starnes is concerned, I do remember him making some posts here. I met him, years ago, when we were both participants in a mission project in Cherokee country, in Northeastern Oklahoma, doing rehab work for some low income homeowners. We shared a couple of lunchtime conversations about topics long since forgotten. I think he was working for Baptist Press at the time. I don't really pay much attention to Fox, and the first time I heard him on the radio, with a brief report from somewhere, I looked it up to see if it was the same guy, and it was. Interesting that a guy who no longer works for Southern Baptists, mainly because of poor quality journalism, and a habit of getting the facts wrong, in other words, lying, winds up at Fox, where that kind of propaganda and fact twisting is not only welcome, but affirmed and celebrated.

Now here's one of those places where I might agree with Jon, that the Bible is clear when it comes to lying. But apparently, if the liar is a conservative commentator, and is bashing liberals, it's OK. :wink:

A little something on Mr. Starnes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ty/405118/
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 am

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am

Conservatives don't do "news." They do commentary on news, slanted their way, and tend to avoid facts. I certainly believe the Bible's teaching about lying is clear. What I might not agree with, when it comes to Jon's perspective, is giving a pass to conservatives who lie. His interpretation of the Bible's clear teaching seems to allow for lying as long as a conservative is doing it. I'd disagree. I'm not on board with any public commentary or journalistic outlet that lies, or obfuscates facts. "Bashing" is an opinion. Most conservatives are enraged and intolerant of anything that doesn't cast their heroes in a positive light, and so, to them, that is "bashing," even though it is really just reporting of facts. On the other hand, they cheer on their "faves" in "journalism"--and I use that term very loosely when referencing conservatives in that field--when they are critical and sharp tongued, and generally don't bother with facts. That's hypocrisy. I do believe the Bible is clear about lying, and it doesn't make any difference to me who is doing it, liberal, conservative, or fundamentalist Baptist.

It is very easy to check facts when watching news or commentary. I've become accustomed to having a tablet out and on when I'm watching news, whether local or cable. Makes it easy to check several sources. You can detect the bias pretty quickly. Being "fair" is also a matter of opinion, but I have yet to watch a news report on one of the "mainstream" networks, or on MSNBC or CNN, where a representative of the opposing position was not invited, and given equal time to state their position. Several of the MSNBC evening commentators never even interrupt, or try to change the direction of the conversation, but generally just let them speak. You never get that on a conservative media outlet.

So you can call this article on Starnes a hit piece, but I see nothing here that isn't factual. You're welcome to point out if anything is. He was dismissed from Baptist Press, in their words, for not substantiating claims he reported as fact. I know it's shocking for some here, but gee, even Baptist Press holds to some journalistic standards.
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Ed: Do they still have the Ledbetters?
JE Pettibone

Starnes on CSpan

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 am

Starnes had an hour gig on weekend Cspan, Booktv.org couple months ago to promote his new book.

Easy google, you can listen and watch the little fundy toad in full display of his political fundamentalism, hate mongering of Hillary
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Starnes on CSpan

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Jon Estes

Butchu

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm

get my meanin, dontchu Jon Estes. Did you find the interview and watch it online?
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Butchu

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:40 am

Jon Estes

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues