[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - At Selma yesterday

At Selma yesterday

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

At Selma yesterday

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Marched with Jesse Jackosn, Martin KIng's son, Dick Gregory, Viola Liuzzo's daughter Mary, Ben Chavis, John Lewis and former Bama Governor Don Siegelman. Quite a day. More later. Obama's Chief of Staff Valerie Jarrett was there and 7th Bama US District Congresswoman Terri Sewell
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: At Selma yesterday

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Re: At Selma yesterday

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I’ll double Ed congratulations. Please tell us more.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Pictures and Bham News Story

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 pm

I rode down with a friend, a Muslim international student from a nearby Junior College who wanted to go for the History. I had very much wanted to go in 2007 but didn't make it to be there with Bill and Hillary and later to become President Obama.
But the weather was great Sunday and RFK's Widow was there as you see in the slide show below. Several Hispanics with an emphasis on repealing the Anti Immigration Bill at the Pep Ralley before the March on the steps of the Historic Brown's Chapel AME Church.
Mary Liuzzo, the daughter of Civil Rights Martyr Viola Liuzzo was present and near the front with the folks named in the article. In the crowd I met Hispanic Activists from D.C. and LA and Kansas and Kentucky; one good Baptist from Appalachia and a Bright U Bama student from Tuscaloosa; a Catholic who attends mass with Coach Nick Saban's wife.
Talked Several times to former Bama Gov Don Siegelman, and spoke to Ben Chavis.

I desperately wanted to say something to Jesse Jackson about our mutual friend Marshall Frady, but never had the opportunity without annoying folks near the front of the line.
Was Great, a Spiritual moment for me as I am aware of several stories of folks from Furman who were there that day in 65. And I felt like my MOmma and Dad and Stewart Newman were there with me.
I hope to go again for the 50th Anniversary March in 2015. Hope John Lewis is able to be there that day. My sister was strongly considering joining me, even some other friends from Collinsville. I think strong contingent from bcoc.net will be there in 2015 and wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Weaver there, if the weather is grand as was Sunday.
I think at least 7,000 marched and another 2,000 lined the streets and another 1,000 waiting for us on the bridge and the other side. At least a mile march, more like mile and half before it is over; then you have to walk back to the car. But it was great for me. Friend in Bham bought me the two catfish dinner at the cracker barrel that night going back through.
It was great and I Deserved :wink: for That Great Day and Sweet Time in Jesus.

Oh, I got the word to almost every person I spoke to about Albert Lee SMith's widow introducing Kris Kobach to Scott Beason and the imperative they, like everyone who reads this testimony, read the current issue of the Mother Jones expose, 8 pages with a page profile of Kobach. I think there will be a strong word spoken to the Governon on Friday in Montgomery

Here is story from Monday Bham News and below are two select pictures from the slide show

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/03/sel ... pital.html
One photo has me before the March starts in yellow shirt to right of picture cheering on John Lewis; and the next shows Ethel and Lewis and others in the March. Click around to see the whole slate of pictures from the Bham News

>
> http://photos.al.com/birmingham-news/20 ... ch_14.html

al.com

http://photos.al.com/birmingham-news/20 ... rch_6.html

Stephen Fox

CBS footage of Sunday March and flashbacks to 65

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Great ongoing interview with John Lewis in this segment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7400975n

Hillary Beard, the daughter of Johnny Beard, Education minister at FBC Guntersville, formerly at FBC Ft. Payne, was in Montgomery Friday with Ethel Kennedy, most likely at the banquet featured in this piece
Bobby Welch was baptized at FBC Ft. Payne, but thank God he was not the only one.

Hillary is a student at Birmingham Southern now, and one of the better products of Alabama Baptists in the coming generation.

I hope she joins me in Sunday School this coming Sunday with Isabel Rubio, the leading Hispanic Advocate in the state. We are gonna bear witness informed by the New Testament and the Mother Jones article and what I and others know about the interlocking menace of the widow of Albert Lee Smith.

I hope Timothy George and Rick Lance are reading their Bonhoeffer cause Nick Saban's wife will be praying for them soon.

Stephen Fox

From 1990 archive of NY Times

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Another good nuance to the evolution of this march

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/05/us/a- ... all&src=pm

Stephen Fox