Edwin Gaustad, Baptist Biographer/Historian

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Edwin Gaustad, Baptist Biographer/Historian

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:45 pm

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/6268/9/
I really enjoyed his Liberty of Conscience a life of Roger Williams and Memoirs of the Spirit mini biographies of American spiritaiul leaders.

I think he was also a good historian (right Bruce?), and an advocate of the separation of church and state.

Thought he deserved mention herein.
Last edited by KeithE on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Shorter College in Rome, Ga

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Among other things I found it interesting he taught at Shorter College in Rome, Ga in the 50's.

I wish in the 90's there had been more public discussion between him and Richard Marius on SBC matters.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Edwin Gaustad, Baptist Biographer/Historian

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes, Gaustad was an excellent historian, a Baptist who understood his faith heritage of dissent and valued the religious dimension of the American story. I did not know him personally, unfortunately.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Edwin Gaustad, Baptist Biographer/Historian

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:30 pm

I was very surprised to learn of Dr. Gaustad's death.

Just last month (late February), I mailed a copy of my manuscript on James Dunn and soul freedom to Dr. Gaustad's home in New Mexico. I wrote to ask Dr. Gaustad if he'd provide an endorsement for my book.

On March 8, I received an e-mail from Dr. Gaustad's daughter, Susan. Here's a part of what she wrote:

Dear Mr. Weaver,

I'm Ed Gaustad's daughter, visiting him in Santa Fe. My father thinks the world of James Dunn and wanted to endorse your book; he's having trouble with words these days, so what he was able to provide isn't very long. I hope it will help in your efforts.

"James Dunn has meant so much to religious liberty in this country, so it is wonderful to have further documentation of just how much in this clear, well-written acount ."

Back when I was an intern for the BJC, I wrote a book review (my first writing ever published actually) - can't remember the title of the book I reviewed. But in that review I recommended Gaustad's work Faith of Our Fathers. After the book review was published, I received a letter from Dr. Gaustad and a signed copy of the latest revision of Faith of our Fathers. I wrote back thanking him and he replied with a word of encouragement about my intentions to study religious history and church-state at Baylor.

Really a great memory.
Big Daddy Weaver

Return to Baptist History and Heritage