[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptists and the American Civil War (A New Website)

Baptists and the American Civil War (A New Website)

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Re: Julia Marcum of Scott Co Tn

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

And this East Tenn Civil War outline

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 pm

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... rocky-top/

I think you covered similar in last issue of Baps Today
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Nov Baps Today

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Bruce: Liked your piece in latest Baps Today and the segueway into Crawford Toy. Was looking for the Noll Quote about Lincoln, Dickinson and Whitman and the fundamentalist juggernaut after the War.

Hoping to read your book sometime in the new year after Caravaggio bio
Reminder to self, got some correspondence from the 80's gonna share publicly on this board with you; clippings for future Baptist reference

Stephen Fox

Re: Baptists and the American Civil War (A New Website)

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

My great Grandfather and his Brother

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Was talking to my first cousin on my Mom's side last night, James Patrick Jordan, a graduate of Crossville, Alabama High School, now in Tucson.

He said my Grandfather Jordan's Dad, James Sanders Jordan, along with his Brother Henry Rufus both joined the Union side in the Civil WAr with the Alabama Vidette Regiment. The Other Bama Union Regiment so impressed General Sherman he used some of them as his body guard, and according to my cousin that regiment was the only Union group from the South to present both Black and white soldiers. That Group as I understand my cousin was from around Winston County, west of Cullman; and it was Winston County that produced the great Lincoln Republican of the 1960's, Atticus Finch in the flesh, Judge Frank Johnson.

Stephen Fox

"Adamantine"

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 pm

A public question for Dr. Gourley. Bruce, in the Nov issue of Baps Today, you talk about the Basin River boys of Richmond, Va rocking negroes and local reports about deaths and pop skull of their "adamantine" head. I think I have an idea about the phrase, but could you expound a little on the etymology.

E. L. Doctorow in his his masterpiece Sherman's March, is excellent in using vocabulary of the era in his historical novel.

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage