[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptist pacifists

Baptist pacifists

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Re: Baptist pacifists

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't think Mercer would necessarily have much exclusively National Baptist stuff, but I think in the absence of something like the ABHS archives for the NBAs the ABHS is more likely than anyone else to have collected and valued stuff from the NBAs, particularly during the last half century or so. There have been many important Black Baptist churches and church leaders who have been dually aligned between one or another of the NBAs (especially PNBA) and ABCUSA, and that was already a fact back when much of the SBC was still actively pro-segregation and uninterested in the details of what was going on amongst the Black Baptist brethren as long as it didn't involve riding in the front of the bus. So while I don't know what Mercer may house in this regard, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out to be a major bunch of stuff...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Blake,

Sorry for the delay on your PM. Honestly, here at Baylor, the best person to contact is my dad (Doug_Weaver@baylor.edu).

There is an article by Sandy Martin of the University of Georgia on the topic of Black Baptists and World War II. Pretty sure it was published in Baptist History & Heritage.

As far as pacifism and Black Baptists, the three most knowledgable individuals would be Sandy Martin, Andrew Manis (civil rights scholar and Baptist minister), and Paul Dekar (who has written the most on Baptist Pacifism).

Manis' book Southern Civil Religions in Conflict might be helpful. I don't think you'll find a significant pacifist legacy. I know Manis addresses Black Baptist involvement in 20th century wars.

Also, I think you'll find that the Southern Baptist archive in Nashville has a better collection of African-American related materials than ABHS. Pretty sure that SBHLA has all the old NBC journals and ABHS does not.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Gandhi was a major influence on MLK and the PNBC. It's possible, too, that ABSW (the former Berkeley Baptist Divinity School) in California, which is PNBC-aligned as well as ABCUSA, may have significant information.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:47 pm

The GTU Library in Berkeley is pretty decent. They have a good American Baptist collection.

Speaking of collections and archives, I learned that the Paul Pressler Foundation is trying to sell to various libraries a MICROFORM COPY of his personal papers for around $11,000.....

That seems a little pricey for microform which in light of all of the neat, user-friendly digitized collections isn't exactly too appealing...
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Yea, sorry for noting that. A friend of mine (Angela Yarber) graduated this past year from GTU with phd in Religion and Art. While at GTU, she was an Associate Pastor of an ABC-USA congregation and taught at least one class for ABSW. Angela actually was just called to be the senior pastor at Wake Forest Baptist Church in Winston-Salem NC. Angela's partner just completed her phd in Theology at GTU and I think was a part of the Catholic seminary affiliated with the consortium. I've visited GTU a couple of times. Cost of living too high for me but seemed to be a great place to attend seminary/grad school.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Blake » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks for the info Aaron. It will come in very handy.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage