[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptist History program

Baptist History program

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Baptist History program

Postby Blake » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm about to begin my final year at seminary where I've studied church history and focused on early Anabaptist and early Baptist history. I've been waffling on whether or not to do a thesis and was wondering if anyone knows of any Canadian or American (non-SBC) seminaries that would offer a certificate in Baptist studies or would let me finish my degree here by taking some Baptist history classes there and writing a thesis on their campus. Thanks.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Re: Baptist History program

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Ed: Blake I am glad to hear you asking that question. I am sorry but I do not know. I do think there are those on these boards who can help find the answer.

:oops:
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:10 am

So, do you want to go somewhere and take courses and then have those courses counted towards credit for your current degree program?

Or have you finished your coursework and just want to go somewhere else to complete your thesis and take Baptist courses to count towards a certificate in a new, different program?

I don't know of a seminary that would award you a certificate without completing an entire degree program. Is there a school that offers a Baptist studies certificate? I assume that places like Duke and Candler allow MDiv students to choose Baptist studies as an area of concentration, sorta like the undergrad equivalent of a minor. I don't know though.

My advice: finish your thesis sooner rather than later. If you're still interested in further study, apply to a Phd program or perhaps a M.A. or interdisciplinary degree at a school that offers Baptist history courses or courses that would allow you to study Baptists. I've never had a "Baptist history" course - but I've been able to study Baptists extensively in many of my courses.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

Ed: I agree with Bruce's suggestion about contacting the seminaries that you are interested in directly.

It should be noted that The Kentucky Seminary (which is not SBTS ) has moved or is moving from Lexington to the Georgetown College campus about 15 miles North. And I am not sure where they stand in their accreditation process. From reading what you have posted since coming here, I would think that among ABC-USA affiliated schools Palmer and Northern would be you best fits.

Given that none of us who have replied to your question seem to be quite clear as to what you are looking for, it may be wise to work on rewording the question.

I have another suggestion the wisdom of which I am not absolutely sure. That would involve to whom within the institutions to direct your question. My first inclination would be the registrar but too often questions directed to the registrar are answered by an underling who is unaware of any possible exceptions to what is stated in their catalog. I would therefore address it to the "Academic Dean". Does any one else have a comment on this.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Blake » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm

I will be finishing my courses at my current seminary. If I did a thesis it would be related to baptist history and so I would be interested in taking some formal courses on the topic and having the use of a library more geared to the study of baptist history. Right now my personal library is far superior to my seminary's library when it comes to baptist historical studies which is quite sad. I looked at several of the seminaries on the BL.com list and most of them struck me as having really poor church history programs and their baptist history would be a single course for less than normal credit. I'd honestly love to go to a place like SBTS, SEBTS or SWBTS, but I can't in good conscience support the chauvinistic attitude toward higher education the SBC seminaries have. I intend to do PhD studies in the future but it will be in Philosophy or Theology, so this is more for personal academic interest in finishing out my Masters.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Ed: Blake, you may want to take a look look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdenom ... cal_Center This is in Atlanta as are the combined archives of both the the ABC Historical society and the Baptist Historical and Heritage society, at the Atlanta campus of Mercer University. It is the world largest collection of original Baptist source materials.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah, if it's personal enrichment, not credentials, you seek, go to Mercer Atlanta. I think.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 am

You can get as many or more course offerings specifically in Baptist studies in Waco, Texas than you can at Mercer's Atlanta campus. You won't get a certificate - and I doubt that Mercer can offer that either. However, between courses at Baylor's Truett Seminary, Baylor's Religion Department and Baylor's J.M. Dawson Institute - you'll get more than what McAfee can offer. That's no dogging McAfee. I don't know what Baptist-related courses are offered in Macon. I assume they offer something in their Religion department. But Baylor's various schools and institutes are centralized on one campus; with more professors and more course selections.

GIven your relationship with Anabaptists and interests in theology and philosophy, you probably would fit in quite well with a number of the students and professors in the Religion Department. There are at least a couple Anabaptist-turned-Baptist theology professors on faculty.

If we're talking libraries, Baylor certainly has more Baptist-related holdings than any school that I am familiar with. My dad has been part of a group at Baylor that has been working to increase those holdings via digitization and sharing relationships with other Baptist libraries and archives. They are working on some pretty neat projects which should make Baptist research much easier in the future.

Whether you would find the ABHS archive of any use really depends on a number of factors.

You should consider applying for a scholarship from the SBC's SBHLA - get you some travel money to visit Nashville for a couple weeks to do research for your thesis. I was awarded a scholarship from SBHLA back in the Spring and will be making the trek to Nashville once I take my prelim exams in November.

Personal enrichment sounds fun; but also costly. Absent seeking admission to an entire new program somewhere for a couple of years, I don't see a school like Mercer or Baylor footing the costs of tuition (which at both places ain't cheap) just for a few courses. Consider locating for a semester or so somewhere new with better Baptist holdings and maybe get to know some of the professors with expertise in the field. That would likely be a better and much cheaper experience.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah, my recommendation of Mercer Atlanta had to do with the ABHS/BHHS archives; if I were looking to do some original research from primary materials I would want to be centered there. But BDW's probably correct about coursework options at Baylor surpassing those in Atlanta. Depends on what sort of work you want to do; I would think a visit to both before deciding, if you could afford it, would be a really good idea.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Blake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. The research I would be doing would be 17th century English Baptists likely either Smyth and Helwys or during the English Civil War. As I've been perusing more links the possibilities at Angus Library at Regent's Park College at Oxford is really enticing. Anyone know anything about what it takes to become a visiting student there for a year? I wasn't thinking beyond North America because I would want to keep my library with me and it would be too large to transport overseas but I could force myself to be choosy if I could go to Regent Park. Thanks again all.
- Henry Adis
Blake

Return to Baptist History and Heritage