History of Adrian Rogers and the Moral Majority

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

History of Adrian Rogers and the Moral Majority

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

At www.sbcimpact.net Adrian's son David has brought up this sermon of his FAther in a discussion about Glenn Beck, Liberty U and Politics.
I think David is a pretty good fellow on the whole, better temperament than his Father.
I don't want to call this a whitewash of his Father's association with Ed McAteer and the political agenda of the SBC Takeover, but the sermon is a little late, seems to me; 1999, and does not tell the story of Adrian, the Roundtable of 1980, and the differences he had with President Carter over the secular humanism remarks.
Rogers comes back in with another quote from his Father's sermon in comment 76 I found pretty interesting.
Didn't want to get in an messy exchange at the Impact; but would like for Bruce Gourley to have Buddy Shurden take a look at this; and Aaron Weaver as well to see if there is a little more truth to the matter than what a appears to be some nostalgia at this point.
Thanks

69David Rogers (author) said:
FWIW, I was just now editing a sermon manuscript of my father (Adrian Rogers), from Feb. 14, 1999, and found this quote that seems to me to be apropos to our present discussion:

“Now, I have to be careful, and you have to be careful, that we don’t fail to understand—we don’t fail to remember—that our mandate is the gospel. It is primarily doctrinal, primarily spiritual—not political. The mandate of this church is still the Great Commission, preaching the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And, to do anything else that runs around the gospel would be like trying to mop up a floor with water on it while the faucet is still running and the sink is still overflowing. We have to preach the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And, we have to begin with the house of God and the people of God. We’re concerned about putting prayer back in the schools. I think we need to get a little more concerned about putting prayer back in the church and back in our homes. Our mandate is the gospel of Jesus Christ.”
.# July 20th 2010 at 1:05 pm
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

More Revisionist History

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 am

Centering on Glenn Beck and Jonathan Falwell.
All of a sudden new Crop of SBC fundamentalism seem to be saying the Council for National Policy; Jesse Helms and the Dallas Roundtable of 1980 never happenned.

http://sbcvoices.com/jerry-falwell-jrs- ... advantage/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage