Grace Bible College and the Study of Biblical History

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Grace Bible College and the Study of Biblical History

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Let's just ditch the study of the ancient biblical languages and use the King James Bible as our only college text, sez Grace Bible College.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Grace Bible College and the Study of Biblical History

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:52 am

I gave that a cursory read. Not much that's new was there, but the KJV only emphasis that has permeated a lot of churches in the Appalachians and into the midwest was part of this. To me, it's a sad effort to try to fix a biblical text that won't get retranslated. I had a friend who went to worship in one of these churches and had an NIV with him. He was told by an usher that he had to take that corruption outside to his car or he could not stay.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I gave that a cursory read. Not much that's new was there, but the KJV only emphasis that has permeated a lot of churches in the Appalachians and into the midwest was part of this. To me, it's a sad effort to try to fix a biblical text that won't get retranslated. I had a friend who went to worship in one of these churches and had an NIV with him. He was told by an usher that he had to take that corruption outside to his car or he could not stay.

Ed: And of course (tic) We never smile slyly, nor snicker out loud, when when someone comes into OUR churches carrying a KJV. (close/tic) How do we witness to some one who has been raised on this KJV onlyism? I am afraid that when we are honest, many of us have to admit that we have relegated those folk to a new class of untouchables.

And Sometimes I wonder why Michigan seems to have attracted so many fundamentalist sects. But the answer should be rather obvious, the auto industry and big steel, which attracted so many rural Crackers, to great pay, through the first 75 years of the 20th century. Perhaps we need to realize that "There, except for the Grace of God go I".

One more word of caution, do not confuse the school Bruce has introduced us to with Grace College and Seminary at Winona Lake, In where one of our former board participants (Dr. Erick Mason) taught while finishing up his Doctoral studies at Notre Dame. In fact some who want to understand the difference between Fundamentalism and conservatism would be well served to "Compare and contrast" these two institutions. BTW, does any one know if Eric is still at ABC's Judson College in Illinois?

I may have just answered my own question via Google, where I found : Judson University Faculty Information; Eric F. Mason - Assistant ...
Mason, profile, 2008 Eric F. Mason Associate Professor ... Dr. Mason teaches in the areas of New Testament and Second Temple Judaism, and his research ...
http://www.judsonu.edu/content.aspx?id=6464 - Cached -
. I also discovered that it is now Judson University, note the 2008 date. I am sorry that I only saw him, literally "in passing", on the street during the ABC/CBF combined meeting in D.C. in 2007.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:40 am

Bruce Gourley wrote:Let's just ditch the study of the ancient biblical languages and use the King James Bible as our only college text, sez Grace Bible College.

Amazing! You'd be surprised at the number of older SBs (70+) who still prefer the KJV. I preach exclusively out of the TEV. At Watonga Indian Baptist Church, we have TEV pew Bibles. I tend to give the text & page number each time I preach. My people can locate the texts to my sermons quicker by page number than by chapter & verse...
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to Baptist History and Heritage