[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Need a "required reading list"

Need a "required reading list"

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Re: Need a "required reading list"

Postby Blake » Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm

According to who? Stassen? Estep? Or someone else?

And are we talking about Anabaptists and the General Baptists or Anabaptists and the Particular Baptists? Or both?

I did a paper on Baptist origins a while back. I'll see if I can find it and post my conclusions.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Blake » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

I read Jason Lee's book a couple years ago. Good book. Pretty sure I cite Saito, Underwood and Coggins in my paper on Baptist origins. Glen Stassen wrote an article in Baptist History & Heritage (I think) that examined the roots of the Particular Baptists and the similarities between their confession and Menno Simon's Foundation book. A very interesting (and convincing) article. Unfortunately, I don't think there has been a follow-up article in support of Stassen's argument. Nor has there been an article refuting his claims.

I don't think I have ever read the Wright book you mention cover-to-cover. Something about his writing style, I don't like or perhaps just have trouble with - I guess you could say his books are not an "easy read." Writing style aside, he's definitely the expert on early English Baptists.

Most of what I've been reading and rereading over the last year or so deals with 19th and 20th century Baptists in America. Currently, I'm trying to get through Philip Hamburger's controversial Separation of Church and State. Hamburger devotes quite a few pages to Baptists and there is much in his book that many many Baptists would probably disagree with.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby linda » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am

Update:

I'm still working through the list slowly. I order books from the state library through the local library, and it can take 4-6 weeks to get one. I read, return, reorder in a week or so to avoid "user fees."

Thanks for the help!
Linda
linda

Susan Harding's Book of Jerry Falwell

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Linda:

Consider revising your listand put Harding's bookon the front burner.
I read it several years ago andcame acrossher thinking again today. Fast forwards with great insight the thicket of mindsets that discuss the Baptist struggle andother struggles with fundamentalism
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Susan Harding's Book of Jerry Falwell

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Linda:

Consider revising your listand put Harding's bookon the front burner.
I read it several years ago andcame acrossher thinking again today. Fast forwards with great insight the thicket of mindsets that discuss the Baptist struggle andother struggles with fundamentalism
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Timsings » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 pm

I would suggest Baptist Roots: A Reader in the Theology of a Christian People compiled by Curtis W. Freeman, James William McClendon, Jr., and C. Rosalee Vellosa da Silva (Judson Press, 1999). It is a collection of original writings by Baptists beginning in the fifteenth century and running to the late twentieth century.

Tim Reynolds
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Unless there is some sort of Landmark theory here, or the notion that "Baptists" and "Anabaptists" are synonymous terms, I don't see how you can have a collection of writings by Baptists that begins in the fifteenth century. Baptists certainly had spiritual ancestors in earlier centuries, but they were not Baptists any more than John Milton was a US citizen.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Edwards » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am

Wow! here I am 66 years old and still learning stuff. I was born the first time in a majority Southern Baptists (now Texas Baptists) county in the Panhandle of Texas. I got born the second time in 1952 in a majority Souther Baptist county in Western Oklahoma. I graduated from High School in 1961, guess what: a majority Southern Baptist county in the east part of Oklahoma, central portion. If I had of been rich enough I probably would have gone to a Southern Baptist College (OBU = Oklahoma's Best University, aka: Oklahoma Baptist Univerity). OBU is in a Southern Baptist county also. But my father was working class, so I had to go to a state College (now East Central University). j Of course, the biggest organization near the campus is the Baptist Student Union (BSU).

What I learned is there are Baptists in things NOT southern baptist?
Well, actually when I was about 32 years old, I found out the First Baptist Church of Conway Arkansas was Missionary Baptist , or something.
The most common response when you ask "What Baptist Denomination are you?" is "First Baptist". Now, in the town where I live, the Moderate First Baptist Church (you know, the one with the women Deacons) is both Southern Baptist and (my mind slips, some sort of 'moderate baptist"?) But the FBC of Norman had a nice Grief Group. I attened a couple of years after my first wife died - the weekly Grief Group, that is.
Ed Edwards

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage