Dorothy Day, ML King and Tom Wolfe

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Dorothy Day, ML King and Tom Wolfe

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Quoting myself and recent email to friends:

I'm reading and enthralled by the "mystery of grace" and the family drama in Kate Hennessy's bio of her grandmother Dorothy Day. Though Day was rarely in Appalachia, her life's story has enough entanglements with the region you could almost consider a Child of the Mtns. Her Grandmother Molly Mee was from Rome, Ga and grandfather John Houston Day from Cleveland Tn.

Day's lover John Forster, the father of Dot's only child Tamar who was the Mother of Kate Hennessy; Forster had roots in Asheville NC where he and brothers and sisters were childhood friends of Tom Wolfe.

Pages 215 and ten pages following about the mystery of Tamar's husband David Hennessy, with references to Lolita and Arthur Miller is about as remarkable a story of an extended family member of a Saint Ive ever encountered and that includes my experience with Calvin Turner in Gaffney SC in 78 and the best of Conroy's stories. In fact Conroy's Great Santini was of the three Tamar referenced when she explained her Kate's father to her.

Tamar had a failed Catholic Worker farm in West Virginia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... le/513821/

Dorothy Day Was a Saint for Difficult People - The Atlantic

www.theatlantic.com

A Saint for Difficult People. From bohemian to radical to Catholic activist, Dorothy Day devoted her life to the poor, however unlovable.

Even without these ties this book is a must read as soon as either of you can make the time.

Joe Cumming says many consider Marshall Frady's bio of ML King his best writing. I already see the similarity Kate puts on Day's "Call" to that Frady Spotlights with King.

In April 1967 Day was on the steps of the Holy Family Catholic Church NYC near the United Nations among the crowd of 400,000 as King spoke against the Vietnam War. But I have seen no evidence yet the two ever met face to face.

And would like your thoughts at whatever length you can allow if and when you do read.

Hope things otherwise are well with all

Stephen M. Fox, Gaffney 62-78
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage