[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptist Legacies: Marney, Billy Gee, et.al; WP Tuck

Baptist Legacies: Marney, Billy Gee, et.al; WP Tuck

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Baptist Legacies: Marney, Billy Gee, et.al; WP Tuck

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm

http://christianethicstoday.com/wp/wp-c ... E89-11.pdf

Scroll down to page thirty in the latest issue of CEToday, about 9/10ths of way down if you follow the margin measure on your screen.

William Powell Tuck's latest book is reviewed by Fisher Humphreys. I haven't read the book and have great respect of Fisher, less for Tuck; but fear Tuck may not have read Steven Miller's book on Graham and Nixon, nor examined Billy's "cute" endorsements of Charles Stanley in the Baptist wars, and George W. Bush in the Florida primary of 2000. I anticipate seeing how Tuck dealt with the UT Knoxville crusade of 1970 right after Kent STate where Graham gave a nod to the Senate challenger of Al Gore's Father.

Randall Balmer has had GRaham's number for some time. And the BGEA did a miserable job in the last election with the prayer Billy Gee full page ad that among other things gave Judge Roy Moore a second term in Alabama.

Tuck mighta covered all this but we'll see. I do want to read the book especially as I say, it got a thumbs up from Fisher.

Would love to hear what Gourley and BD Aaron Weaver, our resident historians have to say.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Baptist Legacies: Marney, Billy Gee, et.al; WP Tuck

Postby TrudyU » Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

TrudyU

Click on link Ed

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 28, 2013 8:52 pm

And scroll down as instructed. The review is right there and all the particulars.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Dr. Tuck is a former pastor of mine when I attended St. Matthews. I also run into him at the annual Academy of Parish Clergy meetings. He is a former President of the Academy.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

FBC Spartanburg Don Wilton immortalizes Billy

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:45 am

I commented on this link at goupstate:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201306 ... ries-in-NC

Stephen Fox

Re: Click on link Ed

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Ed Pettibone

Tuck and scholarship

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Ed. it's nice that you and WP are friends, but there is some question as to whether he adds much to the scholarship on these matters. I doubt he was able to advance the pivotal insights on Billy Graham as brilliantly analyzed by Steven Miller here and in his book he reflects on

http://jsr.fsu.edu/Volume12/Miller%20Au ... ction.html

Tuck may have a sweet little book for the lay reader that does no harm but there is a much better book to be written that explores Marney's relationship to Criswell, and names Marney as the true heir of George W. Truett. In that book would be an exploration of Pressler's ancestors in the Texas legislature when they shared Austin Time with Marney at FBC. And how Marney's reaction to Brown decision set the stage for the Birch Society naming MLKings a communist, and then Jesse Helms and Pressler instigating the takeover of the SBC.

I don't think Tuck wrote that book

Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Ed: Steve, My relationship with Dr. and Mrs. Tuck is that of former congregants to a former pastor and his wife. Like most of my former pastors I have deep admiration for his work in God's Kingdom and appreciation for his contribution to my spiritual growth.

You occasionally have some good points but often they are obscured by an over abundant mix of information, bias, and your own self interest. Your penchant for attracting attention by useing vague ties between discrepant events, names, and places, gets to be boring. Also to do so, as you have here, w/o even seeing the book, launch an attack on Dr. Tuck and his book Modern Shapers of Baptist Thought is simply rude and crude.
Ed Pettibone

Return to Baptist History and Heritage