Gourley's 30 on 30; Baptists Today

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Gourley's 30 on 30; Baptists Today

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm

In the April issue of Baptists Today Bruce Gourley has a piece on 30 key moments in the last 30 years of Baptists Today.

It is an interesting piece and well done.

But not to toot my own horn I would add number 31, The October 1988 issue of Baptists Today where I had a full page article on Pressler and the Religious Right; and mentioned the rumor the Jesse Helms organization had contributed in the neighborhood of 100 thou to the fundy takeover.

I confronted Pressler about it in the newsroom in San Antonio in 1988.

A couple key points they seem to escape the emphasis of Gourley and his mentor Buddy Shurden at Mercer in their histories of the Takeover.

Pressler's family is well rooted in the right wing politics of the Houston Oil Community and its various shadows and connections to the John Birch Society and other emanences of the Far Right.

Pressler by all accounts was livid at Jimmy Allen and James Dunn role in helping Jimmy Carter in the Texas Primary of 76; and Some reports have Pressler's family at odds with Carlyle Marney when Marney was in Austin in mid 50's.

Carter hit the oil industry with a windfall profits tax in 78. Pressler was already rollin in the SBC but went full throttle from then on and packed James Dunn's board with all kind of Jesse Helms operatives and Birchers he could find.

Richard Land and now Russ Moore's careers benefitted from all this.

From Dan Williams God's Own Party, to Mark Noll at Notre Dame with a spattering of Chandler Davidson at Rice; Ellen Rosenberg of SBC in Transition; this is the key element in the SBC Takeover; but you wouldn't know it from Gourley's 30 moments in this official celebration of 30 years of Baps Today.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Gourley's 30 on 30; Baptists Today

Postby TrudyU » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Ed on Trudy's computer: Stephen, Our Mutual friend Bruce Gourley had thousands of anecdotes from which to chose while reflecting on the the Celebration of Baptist Today's 30 years. Given the space constraints, I believe he did an admirable job. And this issue has a "special interest flag" in my BT collection, as does the one with a picture of my friend Rev. Howard Sheffey and I, Inset on the cover, and the one with a cover featuring the FBC of Fort Myers,FL,, the church in which Trudy and i met . :wink:
TrudyU

Re: Gourley's 30 on 30; Baptists Today

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

I agree Trudy, our friend Bruce did an admirable job and more in this 30/30 piece. I just want at every point make the case how strong a motivating factor the Far Birch Right conviction of Pressler was in the takeover and the History Gourley covers.

I continue to look forward in every issue to his updates on the Civil War. There is part of me that will hate to see the war end in 2015

Stephen Fox

The "anxious seat"

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Got to give Bruce credit for his piece in June issue of Baps Today on Why Baptists Walk the Aisle.

Seems like my Papa Fox born in 1895 used to talk about anxious seat from all the 6 weeks revivals he had in the mill villages of Rome and Pepperell Georgia. Often Radio Preacher T Perry Brannon who was born in Gaffney and was the Billy Sunday of Chattanooga Tn Bible Radio in the 30's and 40's would come down and preach the tent revivals where they all hit the sawdust trail for Salvation or Rededication.

Papa was a TOp five prayer warrior and had two sons who became ordained Baptist preachers, a son in law the same and many deacons and Sunday School teachers but they all said Aunt Virginia mighta been the Best Christian of the whole bunch. Papa was strong mentor in RAs to Doug Carver who became Chief Chaplain for US Army.

So the anxious seat has its glory. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Stephen Fox

July Stellar issue

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Tributeto Will with updated comments. Great piece on CivilRights 50 years later, and good piece by Marion Aldridge

And in the ads, promo for our own Lamar Wadsworth's new book about Miss Addie

Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage