Alabama Baptist Covers Collinsville Baptists 175th

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Re: Alabama Baptist Covers Collinsville Baptists 175th

Postby Sandy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 am

Wow. Incredible.

Stephen, you need to post that in a separate thread, in the Baptist Faith and Practice forum, not bury it in this old thread about Collinsville Baptist. The idea that Liberty University is banning prayer and prayer warriors from its campus is worth discussing.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:14 am

Sandy wrote:Wow. Incredible.

Stephen, you need to post that in a separate thread, in the Baptist Faith and Practice forum, not bury it in this old thread about Collinsville Baptist. The idea that Liberty University is banning prayer and prayer warriors from its campus is worth discussing.

Amen. If you don't, some one of the rest of us needs to. It is indeed an interesting question, and only tangentially (by analogy) pertinent to your Collinsville saga.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Baptist connection of Collinsville's new city clerk.

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 pm

I got a speeding ticket back after Thanksgiving. 250 dollars for doing 57 or so in what I thought was a 45 mph zone and the 57 by mistake. I honestly thought I was doing 50. For that oversight I'm out 250 bucks which wiped out my Christmas money this year. Rex Leath wasnt up for a warning, and out of pity I voted for him for county sheriff couple years ago. Now I'm glad he lost.

But I am paying monthly. So today I went it to deposit ten dollars and got some good news: Jill Appleton is the new city clerk. She is a good woman. She is a direct ancestor of a fellow from Civil War era who was a founder of the locak Bapitist church. Another of his direct descendants is Jon Appleton pastor emeritus of FBC Athens, a progressive Baptist in the vein of the late Bill Self of Atlanta and Johns Creek.

Jill ran a great Bible School for Liberty Baptist just outside the City limits. I think they average 240 one summer before she turned it over to Amanda Wright who is doing a great job.

I am proud of Jill. At least one office of City Hall will be in good hands!!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Jill must be really old, though, to be the direct ancestor of some civil war dude.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:00 am

Haruo wrote:Jill must be really old, though, to be the direct ancestor of some civil war dude.

I'm direct to many such dudes but the closest is a great-grandfather.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Not related to Jill, but in 2014 National Geographic said there were "Fewer than 35" actual children of Civil War veterans "on the rolls of heritage groups that keep track of them." These ranks will doubtless be quickly depleted.
Children of Civil War Veterans Still Walk Among Us, 150 Years After the War
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 pm

William Thornton wrote:
Haruo wrote:Jill must be really old, though, to be the direct ancestor of some civil war dude.

I'm direct to many such dudes but the closest is a great-grandfather.

But William, surely you are their direct descendant, not their direct ancestor! An ancestor is always older than the person whose ancestor they are.
Haruo
Site Admin

Did I say Ancestor? My Bad

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Jill is about 50 now as she graduated HS in late 70s. Her Brother Hank roomed with Campbell at Auburn, the QB who handed the ball off to Bo Jackson.

I think I get the Civil War tale down much better with Ancestors, Descendants, and some extra Sacred Harp mustard for Haruo. do a much better job in my latest blog, this one on the Homeguard at www.foxofbama.blogspot.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Collinsville 117th Decoration day May 13 , 2018

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Convenened last Sunday at 230 pm bama time. It was a changing of the guards as Martha Barksdale stepped down and a new generation of leadership took charge. Danny Barber's wife Jennifer Cunningham read the minutes and was quite professional. I think Donzella Bobo was impressed. New President Jill Appleton Tidmore was away with family. She is direct dexcendant of the same triple great grandfather that produced Jon Appleton of FBC Athens emeritus in another branch of the family. One of her nephew's was strongly considered by Yale as a QB a few years ago. His father roomed with Randy Campbell at Auburn the fellow who handed the ball off to Bo Jackson.

I made a motion next year somebody bring about two dozen 6 ounce water bottles as it is usually warm, often humid that time of the afternoon and none of us are getting any younger.

Rebecca Brindley Clayton was this year's speaker, Her Great Grandfather Mace was ordained a PCA minister and went off to Chicamauga in 63 where he was killed. He lost three other brothers in the war so you can imagine in what esteem Rebecca holds Abe Lincoln. See my recent blog.

Her Grandfather Erwin begat Stanley who had two sisters who never married Mabel and Miss Ollie. Miss Ollie was on bleesings of Liberty. Again see my blog.

I may put my name in the hat to speak next year for the main event.

I spoke to Thomas Barksdale who knew Wayne Atkinson at Samford and bama, wayne now with the Billy Graham Museum in Charlotte. Paul Finebaum talked about Wayne last week. I also talked to the Mother of Mitch Hedgepath who almost beat Duke as a sophomore at Belmont. He is now head coach at Sewanee. Also spoke to Leah Blanton, Andy Myers and his new bride, and Jerry Smith and Danny Barber.

Good attendance this year.
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage