[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - NC marriage amendment vote

NC marriage amendment vote

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Making practical sense of the Sexuality conference

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Equating gay marriage with racial equality is a comparison of apples and rocks. It's not even in the same general ball park.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 am

You have your view and I have mine-----see if any southern black male would agree with you!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 am

Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am

Enduring prejudice and derision over something you can't help is the issue, Sandy! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 am

Very few are going to make an Apples-Apples comparison between the struggle for civil rights in the 1960s with the movement for gay rights over the last 20 years or so.

Still, that doesn't mean that the push for marriage equality and non-discrimination protections is not a civil rights issue.

Coretta Scott King was a champion of gay rights. My former boss John Lewis who had his head busted up in Selma is and has been a loud advocate for gay rights, specifically marriage equality. And he's framed those issues as civil rights issues.

More than a few African-American leaders have done the same.

You're not going to find many who say that John Lewis has insulted anyone...
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

John Pierce has pivotal blog here

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm

http://www.baptiststoday.org/johndpierc ... -good.html

Word is there was a breakout convener at the Decatur Conference that recently left staff at a Progressive N.C. church on matters that Pierce navigates in his blog above.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: NC marriage amendment vote

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun May 13, 2012 7:34 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Mon May 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon May 14, 2012 3:06 pm

I am of the opinion that people---especially those of faith---should not make up battles to divide people more than they normally are.

Please note the Tea Party factor in NC. It is strong and it is mean-spirited.

I am not going around inviting gay people to get married and make flamboyant statements. I am AGAINST us treating them with prejudice and derision more than trying to understand their plight. It is not an easy internal battle and is fought with more agony than many realize. Had I not known some of them fighting the battle, I could be far more calous.

Some of the parents of the Tea Party and Fundamentalism will face it when their own child reveals sexual issues not in the mainline view. By then, it could be too late for reconciliation.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon May 14, 2012 3:11 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Here is the simple picture in NC:

*It is a flame issue
*It was couched in terms most vague and will invite many lawsuits
*The major newspaper ads were expensive and featured Billy Graham against it = God speaks in NC
*This state, like most, is not blessed with the most perceptive voters

It is what it is and major things do not change fast anymore than integration does.

Not many here were able to see Marriage discrimination in the same light as any other form of prejudice.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum