[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Making practical sense of the Sexuality conference

Making practical sense of the Sexuality conference

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: Making practical sense of the Sexuality conference

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Maybe not in your traditional KJB or your liberal NRSV, but I'll bet there's a whole lot more in the "Living, Breathing, I-can't-believe-it-says-that Version" with the verbally inerrant footnotes that put Scofield to shame. ;-)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:03 am

The theology of covenant is certainly biblical...

Now, as to the Biblical references (or lack thereof) with regard to homosexuality, Cody Sanders addressed that. He said that some might wonder why he didn't address the relevant biblical passages. His response was that there's been two generations of scholarship in the field of Biblical Studies on the subject of homosexuality. "GO READ" was his reply.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 am

Haven't had a chance to watch any of the conference. If it is laying the ground work for a change in the current CBF policy, which by all accounts this kinda morphed into, then our church will certainly be evaluating our continued support of the CBF. But I think folks of my ilk need to tread very lightly here. This was for all intensive purposes an "academic event" and at such things all sorts of ideas are discussed, poked and prodded that never leave the confines of the lecture hall. This certainly has the feel of such an event. That's not to be naive and think that something other then academic discussion could come from this, but one conference does not mean the sky is falling. For now I will wait, pray and see.
Jerry_B

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 am

Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:33 am

Sandy has long been the resident Mr. anti-"academic" here at BL.com

The irony is that, Sandy, you consider your opinions and interpretations which you freely give here to be "informed" yet you poke fun at those (with your broad-sweeping assertions) who offer their informed opinions and interpretations in the form of peer-reviewed academic scholarship.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

An "informed opinion," with a full academic bibliography accompanying it, is nothing more than that if it is not accompanied by a Biblical text rendered in context, and interpreted according to sound hermeneutical principles. It is an "informed opinion," but it is difficult to utilize it in shaping the perspective or policy of a Christian church on an issue, especially if Biblical content is diminished because someone diminishes the spiritual authority it carries, or ignores it altogether because it just doesn't fit with the intended conclusion.

In the Christian life, discerning the will of God isn't an easy task. It is made much more complicated by the infusion of "worldly wisdom" in the form of conclusions drawn by people who have piled up a lot of papers behind them that are meaningless when it comes to spiritual discernment. You yourself (BDW) pointed out that there was no balance in this particular conference when it came to the "traditional" view. I have yet to watch a clip from this conference that contains any Biblical exposition at all. Lacking that, most of what you have here is nothing more than university gas.

I don't know where it came from, so I can't attribute it to its author, but I once heard a statement that said, "If academia were capable of reasoning the solution to humankind's problems, universities would be the most perfect, utopian places in the world."
Sandy

Lewis Grizzard and Mercer Conference

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Lewis was once a significant other of the sister of one of Nelson Price's Trustees at Shorter, daughter in law of Floyd Battles, one of Jerry Vines key strategists in NW Georgia during the takeover.

How that plays in this drama baffles me, but I thought Joe ought to know

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/7336/9/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:41 pm

"University Gas"

Your dislike of educated "elitists" is humorous in light of your views regarding education. Are educators like yourself at bible/Christian academies immune to the elitism that you accuse others of?

It's interesting how you think you and folks like you have the corner on "discerning God's will." Don't fool yourself.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Framing appropriately, Perspective

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 pm

I challenge both BDW and Sandy to do key background reading and frame this whole matter from the perspective of Diarmaid McCulloch's last 150 pages of his recent History of Christianity, Section on Culture Wars and the wider Frame.
Basic to this conversation for context.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin