[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:36 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am

Sandy wrote "Ed, one of the things you left out was speaking in tongues. I remember when the Dallas Baptist Association made news for kicking out two churches which allowed the practice in their worship, and the ripple effect that had across the convention as other associations followed suit."

Ed: Sandy while it is true that Glossolalia had long been an off and on dispute among some So. Baptist, prior to the Reformation/Takeover it the extent of had generally been rather localized and sporadic. Only since the "Conservative resurgence" has it had great attention of the SBC. And specifically in the acceptability or unacceptability of Missionaries.

James Leo Garret has written extensively to this issue as it pertains to Southern Baptist. And I find no relationship to it and the upcoming conference on sexuality being sponsored by Mercer University and CBF.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Sandy----

Where the heck did you get your info about pre-1979 strategies and skull-duggery---some CR idiot, I bet :?

Talk about la-la land :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:51 pm

If he did, then he is totally clueless and we know what actually happened and it was not pretty!

I am seeing the Pharisees ressurected under the guise of Conserative Resurgence :(
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Lived through it, attended seminary during the most blistering, heated years of it, got burned by people from both sides of it, and know where a lot of the bodies are buried. I was a member of two of the most notable, identifiable moderate Baptist congregations in CBF, and I can count among my closest friends several children of prominent, pre-1979 SBC leaders, including a couple who served on so many trustee boards, the seats were contoured to the shape of their rear end by the time they were done. So my information about the way Baptists peddled influence, twisted arms and got things done their way prior to 1979 didn't come from some "CR idiot." It comes straight from the horses' mouth. I know what they did and how they did it because I was one of them, a faithful student of "the Babdiss way" through the whole controversy.

It's one of those things I've often said I'd like to write a book about someday. It would be several volumes.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 am

The gap between the definition of "homophobe" and churches or church-related entities employing individuals who are openly gay or lesbian is quite a wide one, and to conclude that homophobia is behind it is profoundly absurd. The vast majority of clergy, church leaders, denominations and individual churches in American Christianity have determined that a Biblical perspective of human sexuality rests on the teaching that sexual relations are intended by God to take place within the context of a marriage relationship, and that which takes place outside of marriage is sin. Since conviction, genuine repentance and a spirit-filled, spirit guided life is evidence of the experience of regeneration, most churches and most Christians have determined that those individuals whose lifestyle does not give evidence of having had a regeneration, or salvation, experience are not qualified for church leadership. That doesn't mean they are to be excluded from church altogether, nor that the church cannot "minister to gays," but it does very clearly imply that they are in need of repentance and salvation, and are not in any position to provide counsel or guidance to people in the same position. So a church deciding, on Biblical grounds, that it won't ordain homosexual individuals to ministry positions, or appoint them to positions of authority or teaching in the church, is not homophobic.

It appears obvious that many of CBF's pastors and church leaders, as well as most of its coordinating council and employed executive leadership, would agree with this.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 am

Ed---

The first credential of a good counselor is not to be crazy or abnormal, yourself. Looking around my Abnormal Psychology class at Emory, it appeared that about 20% of us were normal and the rest were in there trying to figure out their "crazy." My University had all the journals needed in their Medical Libraries to allow for Masters level research.

I served as Chaplain to the Wake County Juvenile Court while doing special study in counseling at SEBTS. We hubbed around Dorothea Dix State Hospital and its Chaplain so we were exposed to the realities of a mental hospital.

I have counseled with numerous teens and adults as an Associate and Senior Pastor.

Quite frankly, I am concerned about many "over-trained" and remote "professionals" I have encountered. The basics of good counseling involve a solid background in understanding how personalitiy works and have enough perceptions to see through the pretense of ego protection. If you possess a "listening ear" you may be a better counselor than some remote professionals I have encountered.

Now, if you think you know more and are better credentialed, let me know, buddy :)

Richard Ryan is in your part of the country and I have no knowledge beyond the reputation of his school.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Ed, did you mean to say that not being crazy was "a trait that needs to be credentialed"? Is a Chaplin position a tenured mime?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 am

Ed---

At the least, I am not crazy! I took the MMPI and showed normal as an old hound dog. How about you, brother?

I fail to see your obsession with who is better credentialed, you or me. I simply read the article and passed it on because it makes much sense and has the citation of studies about hate of homosexuals and how such people appear to have a lean toward the problem themselves.

Now, why don't we quit playing games and discuss the issue you are trying to divert :? :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 am

I read the newspaper article but I've not read Ryan's research. But there have been several high profile cases of some well known conservative Christian or Republican operatives who in fact even participated in anti-gay legislation who later "came out." So it does make you wonder how many of the most angry homophobes "doth protest too much."
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 am

I took the MMPI (1, I presume) in the late 1970s and it showed I had gender-identification issues. This wasn't true, but it was true that I was brought up to believe that (on average) women were more intelligent than men, which presumably led me to give the responses that led to the false result.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am

I took the MMPI in 2010. Oddly the test suggested that by nature I am a cautious person. Yet I took this test right after tossing away my entire career as a Baptist pastor and starting over with the UMC. That was hardly a cautious thing to do. Go figure! I think these instruments have value but as a person who had a class where we surveyed psychological testing I know the are't perfect.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Not test of any kind is "perfect." However, the MMPI has shown itself to be "effective" in spotting personality defects. When the results come in, it is up to the one tested to determine how accurate they are. One unique feature of the profile is a "honesty feature" which shows people clearly lying to get by and not have their "wierd" spotted. We all have some as simple humans.

Even though the MMPI showed Timothy to want security, the UMC certainly provides more than the Baptist system. In that respect it showed what a wise move you made more in tune with your basic outlook!

Now----are we getting off track or not???? :?
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Ed Pettibone

PreviousNext

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum