[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: CBF dissent on the [Baptist] Conf on Sexuality and Covenant

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm

:?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:43 am

If I had my ministerial career to do over, I would have gone to Chandler instead of SEBTS and enjoyed the protection of a DS when it comes to pastoring a local UMC church.

Baptists are at risk at all times---and that risk involves biblical integrity vs. pleasing the powers that be in local churches!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:06 am

True Gene. But what got me about the results was that I had resigned my church without a place to go with no promise from the UMC that they had a place for me. I was only going to get a church if a church had an opening which they felt I fit and which there was not a pastor with a guarantee that also fit the position.

Once a person is an Elder in Full Connection you have guaranteed appointment. In my situation as a Provisional Member of the conference I have to be reviewed annually by the Board of Ordained Ministry to maintain my status until I earn full conference membership.

Also, the General Conference is meeting this month and may eliminate so called guaranteed appointment because many believe it is no longer workable since there are in many places more UMC clergy than churches among other issues. That doesn't bother me because I've never had a guarantee of a church in my life anyway.

Anyway, as a person who has stuck his neck out for unpopular ideas in more than one denomination being called caution annoyed me.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 am

I call is "walking by faith" and have had the same experience of Abraham!

Those of us who walk by faith rather than sight find proof that God takes care of us!

I have contacted the DS in Greenville, NC, to see if a small rural church needs an interim or pastor. One of my Baptist classmates is having a great time in another part of NC pastoring the rural church in his retirement. Unfortunately, the churches in this area are covered.

The same is true of the Baptist Association as I contacted them. My problem with them is I am known as one not in agreement with the takeover and it's ways. No problem---if I can't be honest, I don't want to play games with Baptists :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Bo Prosser is doing Facebook feeds from the Conference on Sexuality---they make good sense and deal more with marriage and fidelity than homosexuality.

:)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 pm

I am finding this link to the Conference and hope it is useful:

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Ed: I want to thank Gene for locating and posting the Link to the conference. I have just finished viewing clips 7 through 13. Some of the presenters had very good delivery, a few where some what of struggle to listen to for a half hour (at least one was slightly over that and some slightly under), due not to the content but to the delivery. I think the each session could be the basis for a good discussion, for other groups but I would like to be the one selecting the facilitators for such discussions. If it is permissible I hope to do so at least once in our association. I was disappointed that thus far I have heard no dialogue it has been much more a series of monologues. Clip 8 the 2nd that I listened to was an interview of the speaker in clip 7 but was not true dialogue. That interview was not on the schedule but had been inserted as a time filler.

How is this for a neutral review. Trying hard to be :|

I will add I did not hear any thing that I have not heard or read before.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 am

Glad you are checking it out, Ed. I had too busy a day yesterday to find the time, but hope to today.

Your review helps me to make up my mind to spend the time = thanks :)

This is the first article I find on the "controversial conference"----and it isn't controversial at all:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:00 am

Ed: Gene writes "This is the first article I find on the "controversial conference"----and it isn't controversial at all:
http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/7330/53/"

And I have to agree the article is straight forward as to what David G. said but I have an idea that when they started unpacking it in the breakout session there was some dissent. And in the close he did seem to give only a nod to what most of the other speakers had given approval, as to homosexuality.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 am

I'm having trouble with the video program so I haven't seen any of the other sessions.

Is your above statemement based on your viewing overnight, Ed?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:23 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:53 am

Ed---

I see you are having more trouble than most admitting we have much to learn about sexuality in the year 2012.

You are hating even the "possibility" that you could be wrong and the Bible is over-stating the nature of male and female as if it were a clear either/or.

If your professor heard you in class stumbling around as you spoke, he was probably telling your the truth: There is "'knowledge" and there is "understanding." Sometimes the two are not one and the same.

The scientific method requires some hypothesis and then studies to prove or disprove them. Even the studies can land you where you began and, too often, even scientists try to prove themselves to be accurate with fake studies.

Some things just remain a mystery and have no clear answer. I see the homosexual thing as such. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Ed---

I have had enough encounters with homosexuals to know something from a personal experience. I served with a Senior Pastor who was outed and died from AIDS. I can name about 4 teen boys who later became homosexual. All had more than strong mothers who likely influenced their minds and their hormones.

In addition, I have done extensive studies and paid attention to late-date scientific studies to conclude, as I expressed above,: It's not as simple as the Bible depicts.

I certainly am not a "mind reader"---but I have been observing your posts and your hate for homosexuals. I would hope you soften your position if you are willing to consider more current studies on the issue---like those covered in the wise CBF Conference at Decatur First. I was ordained by that, now, female-pastored church.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:43 am

Ed---

Perhaps I am being fooled by you, but as I have watched your posts on homosexuality, it is obvious you do not like nor condone it and are refusing to allow for it simply being part of the mystery of sexuality.

If I am wrong, I apologize. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:00 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:38 am

What you are noting about hating the sin and loving the sinner is a hard line to even know internally. I hope you are true to your personal analysis. Only you actually know and we easily fool ourselves with internal debates.

I do not condone nor encourage homosexuality. I just realize it is so powerful and internal that some are better off to admit to it and live with it in a responsible fashion. Same sex relations are, in my view, preferable to forcing someone gay to pretend one thing and in private live a life of debauchery and enticing innocent people into it.

As to the "mystery of sexuality" we are on a quest for medical information and understanding. There are enough studies now to safely say, "Some people are genetically male or female against their outward presentation of genetalia."

Another part of the sexual equation is how a single cell joins with a sperm and from this comes either a physically male or female being. This says to me that sexuality is a continuum rather than a clear either/or. In the case of an androgenous being both sexes are physically in a single newborn and gender assignment is needed through surgery. That used to be demanded early. Now physicians are waiting until that being makes the decision later in life.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum