[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes, the abstract of my paper mentions homosexuality. Who denies that the welcoming & affirming position of the Alliance has been a defining characteristic of that denomination?

CBF was officially chartered in May 1991. The impetus for the founding and the planning that led to that charter obviously pre-dated May 1991. Daniel Vestal's defeat at SBC in June 1990 was a significant event. Then there was the meeting of moderate leaders later in 1990 that directly led to the chartering of CBF in May 1991.

Most - if not all - of the CBF's founders were not involved in leadership positions in the Alliance. They set out to form a separate organization - again for many of the reasons I mentioned earlier.

It was not until later in mid-to-late 1992 that the Alliance even began to consider the issue of homosexuality. The spark for this "study committee" was the controversial decision of one North Carolina church (Binkley, I believe) to bless same-sex ceremonies.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 pm

My paper certainly mentions the SOUTHERN BAPTIST ALLIANCE....just not in the abstract.

The Alliance in 1990 when the CBF founders convened did not "support homosexuality." I'm sure there were Alliance-affiliated churches like Jeff Street that were open (if not explicitly affirming) of homosexuals at the time.

There are CBF churches that are open (if not explicitly) affirming of homosexuals right now in 2012. Does that mean that the CBF "supports homosexuality"? No.

Again, there were obvious theological (and social/political) differences between Alliance members and the Baptist constituency that the CBF founders intended to serve. I just think that the issue of homosexuality was not a primary issue at the time.

If the CBF had been founded two years later, then yea, it would have been a significant issue. Those events at Binkley and Duke were significant in kickstarting the discussion among Alliance members in mid-1992. That''s after the birth of the CBF.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 am

Don't want to comment at this time except to say :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum