[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Lets keep CBF policy and polity CBF centered

Lets keep CBF policy and polity CBF centered

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Lets keep CBF policy and polity CBF centered

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:30 pm

In a another current thread on this site there is a link to an ABP article in which Colleen Burroughs calls for further discussion about the organizations response to homosexuals. In subsequent post discussing this idea there have been comments about UMC, the SBC and Catholics do or have reacted to this question. While what those other groups have is experienced may inform our future actions it my studied opinion that CBF and it partners need to be heard first and develop some consensus before discussion the practices of others .

It is true, as Tim Bonney points out that even I mention the ABC-USA. But Tim ascribes incorrect motives for my making room for ABC-USA but not the UMC , SBC, and Catholics in the discussion. My reason for including ABC-USA is that we in CBF and ABC-USA have close working relationships. For example, my wife has served as a regional representative on the CBF National coordinating council while serving as an ABC-USA pastor. Our ABC-USA church hosted the Baptist Fellowship of the Northeast for the spring meeting last Spring. At that meeting one of the BFNE present National Coordinating council members asked John Pierce who was our featured speaker about where he sees CBF going with this question. As I understood John's answer he sees need for a great deal of further discussion within CBF recognizing that it is a divisive issue that is not going away by ignoring it. Note, that is my summary which did not put in quotation marks. It is my understanding of what he said in about three minutes. And although John was born and raised in Georgia and has lived there most of his life he does not speak slowly, :) Also he was raised across the Street for Roy Medley who is the Secretary General of the ABC-USA. in other words ABC's top guiding official.

Also as I have reported on other occasions, being incorporated in Massachuts our regional CBF group, BFNE, is not permitted to use cooperative in our title because that term is limited by law to utilities and farm organizations. But indeed BFNE is CBF. BTW the church Trudy pastors is not dully aligned, Trudy and I are the only two who actively participate in CBF. We do have an ABC-USA church up the road that the pastor tells me is also a CBF church.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Lets keep CBF policy and polity CBF centered

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Ed Pettibone

From an NPR discussion April 3

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Fresh Air on Zionism:

One thing I think CBF, like this secular Jew, can center on:

[quoteGROSS: So you attend an Orthodox synagogue and send your children to a Jewish school. Why do you send your children to a Jewish school?

BEINART: I believe that the foundation of Jewish commitment is Jewish education. I believe what I most want for my children is knowledge of joy in and fascination with Judaism. And I believe if they are given that then I will have discharged my duty to them and given them the tools they need to have a meaningful relationship with Judaism and - God willing - to pass it on to their children and grandchildren. I'm willing to pay a very high price, financially and in other ways, in order to make sure that I ground my children in that foundation.

I critique in my book the American Jewish community actually for not doing enough to support Jewish education because I think it's unrealistic to imagine that we can inculcate Jewish commitment in our children if we haven't given our children a strong foundation educationally in Judaism.

GROSS: But sending your children to a Jewish school means they're not going to a school where they'll be meeting people who aren't like them. I mean, they won't be meeting people who aren't Jewish. And in an age where multiculturalism has become so important, don't you want your children to in school be mingling with, having friends who are different from them - different religions, different ethnic groups, different races?

BEINART: We look for opportunities to do that outside of school and certainly they will - certainly by the time they're in college they'll be at a much more diverse place. But I actually believe that the strongest form of multiculturalism, the most vibrant form of multiculturalism comes through the interactions between people who actually know something about their own tradition and can then speak about it to other people in a meaningful way.

When my children do interact with the non-Jewish world and people say what is it mean to be Jewish? Why do Jews do A, B and C, I want them to be able to speak from a position of knowledge and pride and explain what Judaism is. And I think actually often the most meaningful multicultural encounters come between people who both have strong foundations in their own particular religion or ethnicity or peoplehood. And so that's where I wanted to invest - my wife and I wanted to invest - first with our children.
][/quote]
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Anyone know where Ed's been? Seems like a couple weeks now since I've seen him post. Hope he is well.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Glad you made it back, Ed. Happy Easter.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum