[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Singing Christmas Trees--Tail Wagging Dog???

Singing Christmas Trees--Tail Wagging Dog???

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Singing Christmas Trees--Tail Wagging Dog???

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:34 am

The above article describes two main Christmas events in Fayetteville, NC. One takes place at Snyder Memorial which is huge and rich in a poor neighborhood among many of the city's finest and most affluent. They always have some personal testimonies from Military moms who have their husband overseas or killed in action. It is touching in every way and requires a ticket to attend. I have attended it some years back.

The other, which I have not attended, is simple and "first come first seated."

I have chatted with Snyder members. Some have honestly said, "This is so big and involved as to be all consuming." It is a big show, but does it really meet the needs of people living around them and suffering in a bad economy like you can't imagine?

Here is the big question: Do gala shows at Christmas and Easter detract the churches which do them from real ministry in real ways to the real hurts and struggles in the last 4 years of economic disaster---as well a death through war?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Singing Christmas Trees--Tail Wagging Dog???

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I have mixed feelings on the dramas that are sometimes done. If it enhances the ministry and presents Christ to others, especially those outside the church, then it seems important to share. Churches can themselves get addicted, however, to doing a bigger and better presentation each year complete with angels flying (on harnesses) overhead and the full complement of animals marching down the church aisle. It needs to be examined each year to see if the purpose for which it was born is intact. However, churches need to sometimes be spectacular to touch an entertainment culture. Let's just say that I'm conflicted on this one.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 am

Agreed---and hoping more will respond with their views of how we share Christ in the most real ways.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Jesse Helms and Hayes Barton

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Helms had pretty much a state funeral at a CBF congregation. I don't know if Hayes Barton is studying BDW's bio of James Dunn or not, but all is not consistent in every CBF congregation.
I'm sure Snyder Memorial has some Jesse Helms mentality folks in its group that are there for the status.

On the other hand a good drama, even in the Lawrence Welk vein can inspire a neighborhood if all are welcome.

There is a strong history of Church Christmas pageants being all the art some neighborhoods get. My Mother had a grand history in that small way of trying to bring the arts to the communities in which she shared ministry with my Father.

Mark Olson now with the Leland Center had a good run at Snyder, so you have to hope some sensibility there remains; but I could not see how Olson, nor David Crocker by reputation could stomach now what Nelson Price is doing at Shorter College. I imagine they fought the takeover of SEBTS and would do the same if they lived in Rome Georgia.

That said on the question at hand I can do no better than Dave Roberts.

Let the Christmas Tree Sing and the Joy of the Coming of Jesus however crass and brassy; let it roll.
To paraphrase Diarmaid Macculloch; Peculiar Honors to the King.

Deck the Halls, Falalalalalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalalallalalalalalala
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:06 am

If you want to do something besides act out Christmas---here is something Fayetteville might address:

It cites the prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the South. Another is the Human Trafficing issue. One county north of me, Pitt (home of East Carolina University and Medical School), got a federal grant for special enforcement and detective work. They have found it in spades and in many dark corners of Greenville, NC!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Mark Olson and Snyder

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 am

Gene: I'm glad to see you back off a little on Snyder. With proper security if I lived in the vicinity I might visit the Cantata. I look a good show, smiling faces and bright well fed children and a couple trombones on occasion. Lot of Baptists have worked hard been a credit to the community for the most part and love to show it off a little.
I remember at Bethany my Dad and the church fixxed hundred 20 candy and fruit bags for distribution. I can still see Preston Williams and Shirley and kent on Front row that service. They're all dead now. Hardscrabble livin caught up with them; but it wasn't for lack of my Dad trying to do justice work in their neighborhood, and congrats to Bethany who did great work many times over the years, of which I am the beneficiary of one strong outreach initiative so public thanks. And whatever my disagreements with the late John Hamrick, Duke Grad, former Prez of the AmericanTextile Manufacturers Inst and liaison of FBC Gaffney to begin the Mission in the 50's that became Bethany; thanks to him as well.
So you see maybe something good is coming out of this exchange and the celebration at Snyder.

That said, wouldn't be bad for Snyder to bring Olson back for a weekend with his colleague Daniel Carro, recent Baptist President of the BWA, well known in ecumenical justice work internationally. Bring them in with David Crocker and President Obama's friend, the Kady something the promising City Councilwoman for a seminar on Justice and Charity.
If Crocker can't make it, I would be most happy to help them get in touch with Hugo Black's grandson, Stephen, at University of Alabama.
Maybe more Justice and Charity conversation later.

I'm glad you had at least one redemptive email exchange :lol:

Stephen Fox

Postby Dr. James Willingham » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 pm

I wish to comment on some of the members of Synder memorial church that I have known. A pastor and his wife, Rev. and Mrs. John Robinson, joined there, when they retired from active pastoring. Brother John, a vet of WWII, once reminded me that everything has a counter balance to it. I was telling of one Christian's response to a read prayer at a railroad, "That's the first time I ever heard God read to about a railroad," and John responded by telling about one rainy night during World War II. His unit of engineers were called to do a mine sweep of a field. Usually they had the chaplain to lead the members in prayer before undertaking such hazardous duty, but that night the chaplain was unavailable. Since all of the members of the unit knew the Lord's prayer, they joined hands and recited it together. John added, "Brother Jim, that was one time, when a recited prayer meant much to me." How true! The spirit of the the Robinsons is found in their son, Dr. Phil Spears and his wife. When my wife and I moved to Rockingham to pastor a church, the Spears (he was on the staff of the FBC) came by with a pie to welcome us. The Robinsons are certainly exemplary members. There is another whose name escapes me after nearly 30 years, but he was my hospital insurance salesman at the time. He often came by my church (at that time, Gum Springs of Moncure) and would set in the office and chat with me. One day he came by to see me about a problem he was confronting, but I was not there. He sat in the church yard and thought of what kind of advice I would give him, made a decision, an ethical one, and as a result some people wound up going to prison. He later told me about it what had happened. I must admit to feeling shaky at the thought that a man could think he knew me well enough to decide what kind of advice I would give. I felt shaky, because I thought what if I had given him the wrong impression and what if I gave someone else a wrong impression. That member from Synder (who attended faithfully) made a strong impression on me about being careful about what kind of impression I want to make on people. I might not agree with all that any church or ministry does, but when a church produces people like that insurance salesman and the Robinsons it won't go too far astray.
Dr. James Willingham

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Stephen---I'm not sure what the heck you really mean.

Willingham---I know EXACTLY what you mean and it is heart-warming to know how authentic advice and counsel is the basis of good decisions even when the connection does not take place!

Please remember: I am not against a great presentation of Christ. I just have my problems when it becomes such a focus that no one goes out to serve.

Anyone here remember Joseph Baley's famous "Gospel Blimp" parable????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm

:lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 am

Ed---

I think Matthew 23 makes it pretty clear that there are some empty ways to worship and follow God. The Pharisees were masters of the "Big Show."

Their approach was mind control and plenty of money paid them for a lack of total forgiveness.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby ET » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Ed Pettibone; Hi Dave, I note you where addressing ET in you comment above but I want to agree with your point, if as I am assuming, the offering taken "at the door" was upon ones entrance not as they left. To me at the entrance door, it is an admission fee not an offering.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:01 pm

I appreciate the thoughtful obserations shared thus far. This may bring more agreement than anything we have discussed in many a moon!

Ed---I just have great reservations over the free gift of Grace and Pardon Jesus offered and the kind of religion the Pharisees offered---especially to the rich with special obseqious reverence for their wealth that could support their nice lifestyle!

I see this in the mega church which is most prone to elaborate shows at Christmas and Easter in their sanctuaries without windows---more like giant theaters than houses of worship with stained glass allowing the beauty of the sun and man's skills with glass to give us that feeling of awe in the presence of God. In their place are video screens and elaborate sound systems.

ET---we are often at odds rather than in agreement. I think you see clearly on this one and have given a more than honest assessment!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Collinsville Cantata

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Will be at the UMC church this Sunday at 6 pm. Bishop Willimon spoke there in the Spring of 07 I think it was not long after he came to Alabama

On Dec 18 at 6pm FBC Ft Payne Alabama will have its cantata.
The pastor there is a native of Chester, S.C. home of Eureka Mill made famous by the poems of Ron Rash. Pastor is a graduate of Clemson, and June of 05 was on cover of Baptists Today attending the BWA in London.
It is the church where Bobby Welch was baptized in early 60's; Alcap leader then pastor.
Among the members at FBC are Mary Anne Cole, a Tea Party organizer and State GOP committeewoman tight with Albert Lee Smith's widow, Eunie; and Cherilynne Crowe a Samford and Vanderbilt grad now on staff with the BJC in Washington, D.C.
The brighter lights of both congregations I am convinced would have reservations with the current administration at Shorter University just 50 minutes away.
At same time if Pulitzer's Annie Dillard can sing with fundamentalists, I guess I can too, least one a year if security is strong at front door.
FTR, the Methodist women always have a good soup bazaar bout the 2nd Friday in November annually. And bout 5 years ago I attended an interesting Sunday afternoon lecture and discussion on the Movies about the VAtican conspiracy and the Masons.

Stephen Fox

Community Christmas Cantata

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I attended at the Collinsville, UMC last night. The UMC pastor Tim Barnes did a grand job on Occupy.
Occupy till he comes while we are waiting on the Lord to Appear here in Advent.
One of the better homilies I have heard in the annual event.

Great children's choir.
My neighbor Lance Arnold made some salsa and it was magisterial as the entire Spread from which I took Liberally, along with Mark Morgan, the local Babdiss preacher's son and Duke Grad.
I sat with a lady from Arkansas and her granddaughter as the Mother was on duty with the Highway patrol. Coach L.D. Dobbins was situated near me eating off the piano keyboard cover. I offered to exchange places with him but he took a pass.

I Can't see how Snyder Memorial in all its grandeur coulda been a better experience than I had last night in my Mother's Hometown.
We took communion. I got the Bread from Johnna Traffenstedt, the Mayor's Daughter, and the Cup from Dr. Barnes.

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:41 am

What have you done for the poor of Collinsville, Stephen?

At the least, the Snyder show is accompanied by the collection of food goods. Still not sure more could be done if they spent the time and effort directly relating to the poor of Fayetteville and those living all around their big church facility.

The social division between rich and poor is quite evident along with the crime and volitile issues of Fayetteville, NC. My wife's first cousin was City Manager for some years and is now glad to be doing such in Chapel Hill. He gained some grey hairs trying to deal with divisions of blacks / red-necks / military in that large town. No City Manager seems to last long there trying to please all the factions!
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:01 pm

There came a point in Slingblade when Karl Childers told Doyle Hargraves that he was tired talking to him

Well your royal Bloviation, I share Karl's sentiment

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

See you later 'Bama Boy!!!

The best to you and all your kin!!!! Have a blessed Christmas finding "peace on earth to men of good will."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum