[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What a bargain!

What a bargain!

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: What a bargain!

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:51 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Any men who say they believe in women having the opportunity to pastor who are themselves pastors need to check how often they welcome a woman to their pulpits other than on WMU Focus Week. Only when congregations have a chance to hear female voices sharing the gospel and realize that some of these women are excellent communicators for Christ is there likely to be a change. I do not hold myself as any perfect example, but I had my first ordained woman on a church staff in 1987, have used two women ministers for revivals, and have used others in multi-day events that gave the church a chance to experience them as preachers. Several times, I have used women for pulpit supply. That's where we can really begin to crack some of the barriers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Great idea, Dave!

My good friend at New Bern First, Steve Fitzgerald, is a generous Senior Pastor who gives his 2 associates a chance at the pulpit at least every 2 months. One is a preacher's daughter and ALWAYS brings a thoughtful and well-presented message.

Their service is broadcast out of Channel 12 New Bern and is widely seen in these parts. Somehow, I can't imagine Charles Stanley letting any female associate have the chance!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Dahl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 pm

I would like to see the CBF incentivise church planting by female planters.

First off, I don't see the point in trying to "convert" churches (whether on the fence, or not currently affiliated) over to the CBF side. Why not start churches that have the CBF deeply ingrained in their DNA? Also, we don't have to fight against the natural tendency of groups to resist change when we start new churches.

Lee, was Garden Oaks pro CBF at some time before going over to SBTC? Was it after a preacher change? Or, was it another church you were in that was pro CBF?

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 am

Equally true, Tim!!!

If CBF is to succeed, it will be in the servant mode and a willingness to encourage new church mission starts under the clear CBF banner. Too few pastors dare leave the comfort of a good SBC retirement and the comfort of good money NOT bothering their people about the change in the SBC.

Viewed as a "profession," the role of Pastor can become that of an entertainer looking for the next better-paid gig.

Viewed as assuming a Prophetic role in the life of a church, a Pastor might actually lead people to change their outlook and actually become "followers of Christ" who could care less about worldly reward!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Dahl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Tim Dahl

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

I don't and didn't see this idea as a we are going to push women pastors on churches. Hey church if you're willing to consider a woman, we are going to make this sometimes difficult decision/ transition easier for you, we'll cover the costs. If it doesn't work out, that's fine. If you aren't open to women being pastors that's fine too.

I mean really when in the history of the CBF have they told any church what to do? Often to their own detriment they stay clear of such things.
Jerry_B

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Tim Dahl

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 pm

My understanding is that Christianity Today is writing an article about CBFMO's initiative.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Please post additional comments to the thread entitled . I'm closing this thread.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum