[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF Future by Walter Shurden

CBF Future by Walter Shurden

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

CBF Future by Walter Shurden

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Associated Baptist Press did a little piece entitled,

Overall, I think it was nice for a blurb. But, I think the editor left out some meatier parts of .

I especially like the part where he says, "...that we CBFers will find new ways to think of what it means to be “lost” in our society." He goes on to say that, "...a redefinition of “lost” is in order if our churches are to have authentic growth. Loneliness and the need for community, alienation and the need for reconnecting, meaninglessness and the need for purpose, the inability to find a sanctuary for shame and guilt, and the deep, deep sense that one is not loved---these are the marks of lostness in our time." ().

When he talks about us emphasizing Discipleship, he says, "I hope . . . that CBFers, CBF churches, and CBF will begin vigorously to reaffirm discipleship as responsibility." From my reading, he seems to be emphasizing our giving (of money and time). You can find the full few paragraphs on . This is where the ABP article seems to spend most of it's time.

The ABP article ends with a list of 10 things that Shurden says is worth continuing. This is actually his first point. The second point was, "...that you and I will realize that creativity in religious life almost always comes from the bottom up, not the top down." Then, after that, he gets to the points of finding the new way to think of lostness and the emphasis on a non-sloppy discipleship.

What do you think about rethinking what it means to be lost in our world, and what it means for Jesus to save us?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: CBF Future by Walter Shurden

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm

I think the reality of lostness is just as real. However, finding ways that offer language the deals with lostness and speaks of the ways of God to save is the challenge of theology for every generation. The language of revivalism has been the stock language of Baptists for most of the last century. There may be more creative and effective ways to relate to our human condition in this new century. I suspect, but I do not know for certain, that this is what Dr. Shurden is addressing. He has always been a step ahead of most of us in his awareness of culture and the forces that shape it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Lostness is Good Language

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Shurden could buck up the substance and semantics of his appeal with devotional consideration of the discussion on NPR Today of Marilynne Robinson's HOME.

As we good baptists know from the parable of the Prodigal Son, Can't be Lost when you are at Home.

Experience vs. Dogma.

I just hope Shurden gives me attribution for puttin him on to this. He'll give his strong thinking even more depth if he takes my suggestion here. See Mohler and Dogma at SBC Trends.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:20 am

Cecil Sherman gave one of his last addresses along the lines of dangers faced by CBF in his Friday evening sermon in 2010. Here is the CBFNC link so you can download and listen to his wise observations---similar to Shurden:

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

It was down-to-earth Cecil for me as well. He was one of a kind and I was fortunate to know him personally. Randall Lolley, another down-to-earth insightful part of CBF, reminded me that few were that close to him beyond his family because he was somewhat a loner.

I think he was like the Prophet who spent time in the wilderness alone and, because of that distance, could see things others didn't see. He has a new book just out where Lolley has done the preface below in a beautiful way. I commend it to everyone who wants to have doors of wisdom opened on our Baptist ways.

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:21 pm

:horse:

Thanks so much for the corrections---at least it gives you something constructive to do!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:06 am

Thanks, Ed!!!

Prayers are so needed for anyone trying to survive this awful economy. We are all on the edge of a tent under a tree somewhere. Even those who thought they were secure in old age have horror stories of a community change in urban areas so that security went to insecurity overnight.

I think grief ministry is more needed today than in my lifetime of ministry. I wrote some articles on it a few years ago and was amazed that no one seemed to care. Maybe I should try them here and see about the response. At that point everyone was in a strong stage of denial that the economy was really tanked and horror was ahead.

Actually, work has not picked up since July 4 for anyone I know. It seems that was the last blowout where people took vacations / bought beer and fireworks / and now have little or no money for tree work which is always expensive.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 am

Ed: To bad you are not up here, the board of of governess that I serve on for a senior housing complex, just agreed last night that we have 3 or 4 treas that need to be removed and replaced. I guess the economy here is pretty stable, we are in the middle of our annual fund drive and contributions are a bit ahead of last year at this time. And we have no vacancies.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Just be glad you are blessed!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum