Home from Tampa

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Home from Tampa

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm

It is always great to attend a CBF Assembly and chat if even so briefly with old friends from around the country. Really missed seeing Tom and Elenore Pinner who live in Tampa but near the end of the week Brian MaCartney (sp) found us and we learned that Tom had, had emergency surgery earlier in the week, talked with one of the staff from Bayshore who reported that Tom is recovering well. Brian is a regular lurker here on BL.C. and was the Minister of education at Seminole Heights when Tom was pastor there. The Pinners "retired" to Bayshore after returning from the International Seminary at Prague where they served as CBF missioniers.

Had an opportunity to Talked with Dick and Jane Tuten of Cincinnati as well as that other Cinci couple ( :wink: ), Joe and Carolyn Crumpler (aka Caolyn Wetherford Crumpler), also said hello to their son and daughter in law. At the big celebration Randy Parks our BFN moderator and Dr. Emanuel McCall former CBF moderator and father in law of Roosevelt Morris one of my former dorm mates at SBTS, where seated at our table.

It seems that every where we went we ran into Isabell StJohns, the motorcycle riding grandmother who volunteers with To Miami With Love . I first met Isabell when I was providing ground transportation to folk attending the one CBF Assembly that was held in Louisville (1997), I think.

And of course Hal Bass the immediate past National CBF Moderator who teaches at Ouachita Uninversity, my Alma Mater.

I had an opportunity to have both Dr. James Dunn and prospective( Dr). Aaron Waver sign my copy of JAMES M. DUNN AND SOUL FREEDOM
Dr. Dunn wanted me to be sure to know that he had nothing to do with the choice of the cover, he said "they made me look like a champion narcissist". I told him that I know Aaron through Bl.c and have fun needling him at times, to which Dr. Dunn replied "That is good, keep it up".

Speaking of Aaron's Book, it is a good secondary source for a lot of information on Dunn. I am a bit disappointed that of the impressive list of endorsees, none caught the error on page 18 in the parenthetical (as Mac was known). It was Norris who was known as the "Texas Cyclone" not Dunn's Father in- law, Edwin McNeely (aka to Dunn as Mac). Maybe they where just being nice. I do wish I had read the first few chapters before speaking with Dr.Dunn I would have like to have explored further his acquaintance at Southwestern Seminary with one Ralph Phelps who Dunn credits with changing his attitude on race relations. I believe this was probably the same Ralph Phelps who was President of Ouachita when I attended there.

Had a nice sit down chat with Bruce and saw him later at the award ceremony for Daniel. Also spoke rock rock a few times in passing.
Brent Walker remembered us from our introduction by Bruce at the Separation of Church and state symposium in Philly this spring.

Others from BFN included Manor Tyson and his wife Ronnie of Waterbury CN along with Jason Coker pastor at Wilton CN. Our coordinators Ken and Sandy Hale where not able to attend due to a serious health problem and surgery for their daughter in-law. Former BFN participant and founder, Mike Lewis who is now back in Alabama was also there.

I also had two conversations with Dr. Vestal. Just after the awards presentation by the Historical Association and during one of the 2012 Taskforce listening sessions.

I have an Idea that I missed some names here. Perhaps I can correct that when I get my camera back and see the hundred or so pics that I snapped
And of course, we did see John Pierce and he introduced us to Tony Cartledge .

Also saw another of our former pastors Dr. William Tuck and got his autograph on his latest book. I also had Pam Durso sign her latest for Trudy.

Some one in authority needs to monitor the sound system during worship services, twice I sat in the food court next to the auditorium during the music because the sound was blasting so loudly, and I an already deaf in one ear. Several people Joined me. It was especially bad during the preludes when there where fewer bodies to absorb the sound. Also the words on the screen where not always with the place in the song being sung. Despite this the worship services where inspiring.

I attended two workshops. one on small churches and it was on point. The other on church planting was interesting but all of the panelist where young idealist. In my studied opinion they needed a t least one, more experienced voice, for balance.

Now we are considering the Mercer Preaching event in Sept.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Home from Tampa

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for a great report. I wish I could have been there.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum