[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - BFN first Session

BFN first Session

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

BFN first Session

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 pm

The first Session of the BFNE spring meeting went quite well. John Pierce and I had an enjoyable few hours before the meeting on a tour of the NY Capital area.

John took a tons of pictures at the First Church of Albany, which happens to be a Reformed Church. And they have the oldest pulpit in the U.S. . It was imported from Holland in 1656. It was originally installed in the "Blockhouse Church" at the foot of state Street in Albany.

I have to do some further checking for the date of the present building but I do know that the Balcony in 1798 was intended for the slaves as the Dutch where pioneer slave traders. The handout we received however, says "Since slavery made no economic sense here, most blacks where actually treated as indentured servants rather than as slaves." I got some shots of John taking pictures I may get them posted early in the next week. I will have to see what they look like.

If I am going to session 2 in the morning I have to get to bed.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sun May 08, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Re: BFN second session

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Today's Session also went quite well. The Rev. Jane Lang the new interim Associate Executive Minister of ABCNYS welcomed CBFers and gave a historical overview of both ABCNYS and CABA (the Capital Area Baptist Association). This was Jane's first official public act in her new job but in all honesty, I had invited her several months ago to speak as our Associational Ex filed minister. We also had Rev Bob Brilling a member of Burnt Hills, to tell us about the North Country Migrant Ministry that he heads up. And then Randy Parks a CBF endorsed Chaplin who ministers at a nursing home in New Jersey and he talked about the CBF chaplaincy program. After a break John Pierce again affirmed the efforts of Baptists groups, ABC/CBF/ National Baptist and others who are who are finding ways to compliment each others work while retaining their own uniqueness . After lunch John took off for Cooperstown to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. and we BFN folk held a short business meeting. Jason Coker of Wilton Connecticut was installed as Moderator of BFN 2011/2012
and Patty Robinson of Swansea B.C., Swansea Mass. was elected BFN Moderator Elect and to fill a vacancy on the CBF National Coordinating Council. I will be taking John to the airport at 9:00 A.M., tomorrow morning. It has been a great event.

Lets see what we have https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D ... directlink

That is John Pierce Ex Editor of Baptists Today, up close and personal with the oldest pulpit in the U.S.A., located in the First church of Albany

Sorry about the size Picasa recently made some changes in their program, in the process I lost my edit button.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Re: BFN first Session

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Jerry_B » Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing. I was interested in the hourglass attached to the pulpit, is that for timing the preaching or what exactly? Is it still used today?
Jerry_B

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu May 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum