[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Did some one say CBF doesnt have young people

Did some one say CBF doesnt have young people

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Did some one say CBF doesnt have young people

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:03 pm

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_zZV8 ... 010563.JPG

Just ran across this shot taken at the leadership conference at the 2008 CBF Assembly in Memphis

Here is another of the same meeting https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_zZV8 ... 010567.JPG
Ed Pettibone

Re: Did some one say CBF doesnt have young people

Postby Tim Dahl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I've noticed many people speaking of the aging attendees of the various convention. I've even made mention of it, making reference to the ones I've attended.

What I've noticed is that there are some young attendees at every convention's meeting. But, I've never seen any hard numbers come out from these events as to the ratio of younger to older attendees. Is it 1:2, or 1:5? Is it something closer to 1:50 or 1:100? I wouldn't even begin to know how to find out those ratios. I don't remember a place to put my age on the last BGCT Annual Convention registration form I filled out.

The only event that I've experienced with a visualy large group of 35 year olds or less has been at an Epicenter conference. It was the BGCT Evangelism Conference when Rick Davis was the Evangelism Director. It featured Dallas Willard, and there were tons of young ministers that showed up. I remember thinking that the whole minister alliance from my days at Howard Payne University was there.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am

CBFVA just sponsored two Mission Madness Weekend's that had more young people wanting to attend and do misisons than we get in total attendance for CBFVA General Assembly meetings. The generational divide may be about doing missions, not just talking about them. Meetings don't attract the 18 to 35 crowd at all.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 pm

CBF has a healthy number of under-35s who attend General Assembly. No way to know the percentage but the number is quite significant at least compared to the BGCT.

If you take out the BGCT staffers, how many under-35s attend the annual meeting? The timing of the BGCT meeting and often the distance certainly contributes to lack of youngish Baptist interest.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm

It is easy to say that one group does better at getting the young out, especially without quantifiable data. Instead, we are left with personal observation. When I went to the TB Annual Meeting, I hung out at the HPU and Truett booths; thereby seeing lots of "younger" folks. But the problem is, what I consider "lots" probably isn't that great of a number. When I looked out at the audience during the main assembly times, it was mostly nice suites and gray hair. Was I in the wrong seating to see all of the young folks? Maybe. Were they all hanging out in the lobby, talking and catching up? Possibly. But, my "impression" was that the older folks vastly outnumbered the younger.

An impression.

All that it is...

...is an impression.

With out quantifiable data, all we have are impressions.

I want the CBF to have lots of young people. I can see where the past emphasis of being incarnating Christ in the community could really spark with that age groups tendencies toward volunteerism. I really liked the emphasis on spiritual disciplines, especially the 23 week curriculum. Granted, I wish they would break it up into 7-8 week bites; but it has been the best thing out there (imo). That more experiential emphasis (experiencing Christ through the disciplines) can also spark well with the younger group. I would love for the CBF to be bulging at the seems with younger participants. I would love it... I would love... I would...

But, without some kind of quantifiable data what do we have?

Impressions.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm not sure we need data to back-up the assertion that the General Assembly is going to attract a greater percentage of young people than the annual BGCT meeting. General Assembly's are held in places like DC, Charlotte, Houston, Birmingham, Memphis, Tampa. In the last few years, the BGCT has been held in places like McAllen and Amarillo. When BGCT meets in a bigger city like Houston or near a seminary/university, I'm sure the young turnout is better.

I think a healthy number of young people attend CBF. Now, that doesn't make the organization healthy. As we know, these meetings - BGCT, SBC, CBF - don't turnout representatives from a large percentage of cooperating churches.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 am

LIke most larger denominations these days, younger people seem to be turned off "just going to the meeting."

They tend to be selfish in the way they spend money and time: "If it benefits me, I will go---otherwise, count me out!"

I think the future of any larger group depends on a youthful interest boding a bright future. In many local churches the same is true. Down the road from me is a Church of Christ with a fine young minister with whom I have had several good conversations. He says he could go elsewhere, but enjoys being more on home turf. He has a contemporary worship and a nice Fellowship Hall where youth and their families gather. It is appealing to many nonn-members as well since this is an area without activities or places for the young to go. On Sundays they have a large number of young people and their families.

I applaude his outlook over his church's future. The other different churches here (UMC, Episcopal [oldest church in NC], First Christian) tend to be more "grey" since loyalty to a larger life escapes many young families these days. The Elementary School here and organized sports has a large draw so I know we have many young families as I ride by the ball field. We are wise to provide for their needs in churches as well.

Hope young ministers are in large attendance at the annual gathering---I do so like "gathering" as opposed to "convention."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 am

Ed: Gene gathering is not a bad word and it is sometimes used for the annual National CBF event, but historically that event is called "the Assembly".

Seems appropriate in light of the following from Dictionary.com : Convention, assembly, conference, convocation name meetings for particular purposes. Convention usually suggests a meeting of delegates representing political, church, social, or fraternal organization. Assembly usually implies a meeting for a settled or customary purpose, as for discussion, legislation, or participation in a social function. Conference suggests a meeting for consultation and discussion about business or professional problems. Convocation denotes a (church) assembly, the members of which have been summoned for a special purpose; chapel services at some colleges are called convocations.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks, Ed, for your usual clarity on all things---and I really mean it!

I'm most anxious to hear the reports and pray for a great meeting.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: A Reminder

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Register now to be part of this historic and memorable celebration of 20 years of free and faithful Baptists. Beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Tampa Convention Center with a full dinner, the celebration also includes, music from Ken Medema, entertainment and a reflection from Molly Marshall. You must purchase your ticket in advance online; it’s just $20/adult and $10/child. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by; register online!

We are registered, hope to see you there.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Any bets on what the dinner menu will be? I generally enjoy the chicken at these type of hotel conference dinners. But the rest is downhill. The food is more pretty than tasty.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 am

Eatin Meetin!!!!---enjoy!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 am

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 am

Ed: If I where on the planning committee I would object strongly to chicken being the only choice. Yea1 Chicken is cheap. That is about all it has going as far as I am concerned. Give me a decent slice of roast beef or Ham. For Twenty bucks they ought to be able to do a couple pork chops. I would rather have Meatloaf than Chicken. I would pay an extra $5.00 for a decent fillet of beef.

Aaron W: Me too. These meals for me are largely a waste of money. I generally enjoy the meat even if it is rubber chicken. Sometimes the green veggie is fine. Sometimes it is not. I'm not a big dessert person and rather picky on that front. So that doesn't help. And as someone who is severely addicted to carbonated beverages - specifically of the Diet variety - I'm not satisfied when the choices are tea and water. I'll drink the water - although more often than not, I can't find a lemon. But, oddly enough, I've not been able to teach myself to like tea. I've tried, trust me. Not happening. And as my wife will attest, I'm really not a picky eater. Just a meat and potatoes kinda guy who loves his Diet soda.

Ed; And from experience I know that it is some times possible for an arrangements committee to negotiate better prices than they do. If not a better price, perhaps a wider selection. And remember that generally the gratuity is included for banquets. I also acknowledge that venues such as convention centers with their irregular demand can not compete price wise with the every day restaurant down the block, however the committee should know what the better restaurants within walking distance offer before negotiating with the conference host facility . We some times make the tough choice and skip events that are centered around over priced meals. Unless a personal friend happens to be an Honoree at the banquet.

And Aaron From you recent avatar it look like diet sodas are working for you, or is it just the camera angle? I have only found one diet soda that I enjoy. Tea with a meal doesn't do it for me either, but do be aware there are teas, and then there are teas. Vast differences. I prefer coffee and In recent years I have learned to drink it without cream or sugar. But sometimes restaurant coffee does need to be masked, and when flavored creamers are available I do sometimes indulge my self.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm down about 45 pounds since January 1. Still looking to drop another 30 or so. My wife is about 5 month pregnant, for a long time got nauseated at the sight and smell of everything I enjoy to eat and craves foods that turn my belly. So I've been cutting back, sticking with the more simply and easy things that I know how to prepare.

Didn't realize till I shed some pounds how poorly my leg had been rehabbed from my car accident recovery in 2006. Unfortunately, the more active I now am, the more problems I'm having with my knee, which was originally hurt in a season-ending football injury in HS(guy drilled my knee while i was standing upright on late hit) and seems to have worsened from having an inadequately rehabbed weak leg (broke the femur in two places).
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum